12 Engine Dornier Flying Boat model.

Phil Perry

When you have 12 to start with. That's a rather impressive effort. nev

I liked the little prop spinner tool he used for startup, I wish I'd had one of those when I were a young modeller; suffering many 'PropFinger' injuries on the larger diesel motors ! A handy use for the high speed electric screwdiriver eh?

. . . Mind you, at least on the smaller Cox .049 motors, they kindly provided a convenient spring recoil starter !

• Agree 1

I liked the little prop spinner tool he used for startup, I wish I'd had one of those when I were a young modeller; suffering many 'PropFinger' injuries on the larger diesel motors ! A handy use for the high speed electric screwdiriver eh?. . . Mind you, at least on the smaller Cox .049 motors, they kindly provided a convenient spring recoil starter !

I still have my Cox and remember those days. Tt even has the fuel tank attached.

• Agree 1

The little starter springs are enough for small glo plug motors. 3.5 cc diesels won't work with those. My first motor was a Frog 150 diesel and I wrecked all fingers on both hands trying to get it going, when it was new.. Nev

The little starter springs are enough for small glo plug motors. 3.5 cc diesels won't work with those. My first motor was a Frog 150 diesel and I wrecked all fingers on both hands trying to get it going, when it was new.. Nev

I feel your pain Nev. . .My fingers are a bit bent and this seriously affected my learning to play the guitar. . . .I mean, without model engines, I coulda been a brilliant player, I coulda been a Pop Star, I coulda been SOMEBODY. . .'stead of just another bum. . . .

( Apologies to Marlon Brando )

• Like 1

If I hadn't had the flying bug I could have had a decent job too. Addictions are dangerous. Did you ever have a DC 350? Davies Charlton not a Douglas. The Dooling was a super bit of work.( Schneurle porting) and the earlier McCoy 29 and 60 before the Testor Corp took them over when they went to Cr@p. in a big way.. Nev

If I hadn't had the flying bug I could have had a decent job too. Addictions are dangerous. Did you ever have a DC 350? Davies Charlton not a Douglas. The Dooling was a super bit of work.( Schneurle porting) and the earlier McCoy 29 and 60 before the Testor Corp took them over when they went to Cr@p. in a big way.. Nev

Largest engine I ever had was a Taplin Twin diesel, might have been 5cc, memory fails. But this was fitted in a model speedboat. . . but by 1960 I was saving all my newspaper round and other money for a decent guitar ad amplifier. . .I'd bee using an old Hofner Futurama ( horrible ) plugged into the turntable pickup on the huge sideboard sized gramaphone combo. . much to the chagrin of Mum and Granny. . . model flying went on the back burner then. . . .until the girls bought me that sodding uncontrollable drone for my 68th. . ( the aircraft impact cut above my eye has nearly healed )

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
What a brilliant model, skillful piloting and perfect weather.Phil, this might interest you Taplin Twin Mk III (Janson review)

Should have hung onto your Taplin Twin as they fetch good money these days. Hindsight is a bit hard to come by also.

Thanks for the info Planey - most informative. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif