2000cc 2 stroke Engine - Check this out

DrZoos

i dunno, most CR500's with a new ring every now and then would make it past 500 hours pretty easy....

and with 240hp, you wouldn't be running it very hard very often...

the big issue here would be how it could handle a heavy fly wheel/prop and crank shaft strength...

I reckon this would only cost $5,000...so if i was a home builder id be considering it or variations at some point... 4 cylinders of two stroke is a lot more reliable than two or one...

This could become a first world suicide vest

• Winner 1

Johnson Evinrude had V4 2lts decades ago. The Martin jetpack is similar. Problem with these is the woeful fuel burn at full giddyup.

Johnson Evinrude had V4 2lts decades ago. The Martin jetpack is similar. Problem with these is the woeful fuel burn at full giddyup.

I think the airborne time with a Martin jetpack is only a little over 30 minutes because the fuel burn is so horrendous.

The two stroke diesel would be interesting, but once you include the turbo or supercharger and valves you basically back to the weight of a four stroke, with some extra power and heat.

Another matter is that petrol and avgas is about 720 grams per litre. Diesel fuel starts to approach 1 kg per litre. For a good sized tank full of fuel, the difference may be significant for a light aircraft.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Another matter is that petrol and avgas is about 720 grams per litre. Diesel fuel starts to approach 1 kg per litre. For a good sized tank full of fuel, the difference may be significant for a light aircraft.

I just looked it up to confirm:

There are different grades of diesel fuel but the weight range is somewhere between 875 and 960 grams per litre. This is quite a bit more than petrol or avgas.

hey bex the CR500 is 60hp what your thoughts on this 4cly 4 x 500ccwhat sort of hp would it get at the prop

You would need a PSRU and you would be looking at 170-180hp at 5000 rpm all day long with 4 pipes that take up a lot of room, maybe 150 - 160hp with just 2 pipes (that are still bulky).

People quickly forget about the pipes you critically need to make good power from a 2 stroke, they don't weigh much but can be bulky and awkward to fit in place ...

Just got to fly in torrential rain to keep it cool

Problem is with cooling, the outboards have thin water jackets as they normally use fresh cold water all the time.

Had a friend years ago that tried one in a racing sidecar and it never finished a race due to overheating and no amount of glycol on board fixed it. Went like a cut snake until it made tea tho.

• 5 weeks later...

What a great use for CR500 engines for those of us who are no longer able to ride one (in my case too many injuries by CR500). A great reliable engine. With long tapered expansion chambers, hanging outside the cowl, they will have a great torque curve. You would only need a CR1000 twin, or CR1500 triple for something the weight of most ultra lights.

The Suzuki F750 motor developed from the 'Water-bottle', (that shredded Barry Sheene at Daytona..) developed, from memory, about 145 HP. I have the porting dimensions tucked away somewhere; almost the only other change was the titanium Mikuni flat-slide carbies, for weight purposes, and very trick pipes..

A bog-standard Squeeky 750 was a stone-axe reliable tourer, with no nasty 'on-the-pipe' characteristics (unlike the Kwacka Mach III 500 triple!). The Kwacka engine was stuffed into a frame that was called 'benign, when parked with the engine turned off' but was generally accepted as being psychotically homicidal if moving.

A water-cooled, twin-spark 750 - 1000cc two-stroke, with porting and exhaust tuned for the limited rev range required of an aircraft, could well be a viable concept. However, I suspect that by the time you have added the PSRU, the cooling set-up, and taken allowance for the higher fuel consumption in terms of MTOW/endurance, the advantages become very slim.

Of all the manufacturers on the planet, Rotax has probably the greatest depth of data for both 2-stroke and 4-stroke engines across its range. Had it been a lay-down misere for 2-strokes, the 912 series (and derivatives) would not have been created. As it is, the 91X has many design characteristics common with lawn mower engines... but not the lack of valves.

• Informative 1

The two stroke diesel would be interesting, but once you include the turbo or supercharger and valves you basically back to the weight of a four stroke, with some extra power and heat.

That is the way that Wilksh Airmotive have gone with their engine:

http://wilksch.net/

A very good write up of the engine in an RV-9 is here:

http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/27_4/flight_reports/Wilksch_diesel-powered_RV9_9177-1.html

Compared to a lycoming RV-9 it is Lighter and less fuel is used but with less power the speeds are slower....

• Informative 1

You would only need a CR1000 twin,

I have long thought about a flat twin "Twingle" (twingle means that both cylinders fire at the same time, i.e. twin single) the flat twin layout for compactness and balance. Allows you to use one exhaust chamber, one carby or injector, etc.

I would do it a little different though, direct drive with a whopping long stroke because as DrZoos says, by the time you add a PSRU the weight percentage difference gets smaller compared to a 4 stroke so keep the obvious weight advantage on your side.

Reed intake bex?...easiest I guess...

I haven't looked too hard at the Rotax 582 but I guess it fires 180 degrees apart? (2 carbs)

Separate crankcases but one rotary valve. Is that right?

Going to get one heck of a pulse firing together but the stroke would smooth it out somewhat?