2008 CTLS

WestCoast

Here are some pictures of the Flight Design 2008 CTLS. It would appear to be slightly longer and possibly wider.

An added window behind the doors would suggest a shelf of some sort behind the seats. It also has different winglets.

Landing gear legs appear to have been re-designed.

CTsw & CTLS comparison

Further to my previous post, I have been informed that the landing gear legs are made of laminated carbon fibre. The following was posted on a US CT site and provides further information:-

"Two piece composite gear which connects to a box on each side which is different from the present single piece that goes all the way through the fuselage. The fuselage is 14" longer, that along with the cockpit deck and other changes equates to a higher empty weight and less useful load - I don't know how much - because the overall max. weight is still 600 kg. Fuel capacity is the same. There are minor changes in the engine compartment such as all will have a oil line thermostat, air box is redesigned. The "winglets" will improve low speed handling per "reports". Rear windows allow better visibility to the back and sides."

The first CTLS is expected to be delivered to Perth in late February 2008.

• 3 months later...

Chris.....If you have a look at the U.S. website, it will give you a rough idea what the price of the CTLS will be. http://www.flightdesignusa.com/pricingls.asp (I have added some more photos to my original post)

Alternatively give the guys at Sports Aircraft (Australia) a call. http://web.mac.com/sseipel61/SAA/About_Us.html

The first CTLS is due to arrive in Perth early next month (April) prior to delivery to Victoria.

Regards

Dave

Hi WestCoast,I take it all CTLS are going to be LSA registered?

Regards

Chris

Not sure about that Chris.......I guess it will be up to the individual, however as the basic weight of the CTLS is slightly more than the CTsw (BRS is standard equipment), I expect most owners will want to take advantage of the 600 kg MTOW.

Regards

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Basil Lenzo

CTLS - Ultrallight and LSA Versions

The CTLS will effectively come in two versions - a CTLS for the Ultralight category and a CTLS for the LSA category. Whilst the a/c are identical, except for certain accessory fit-outs (Classic and Advanced in each category) it is the production traceability and associated documentation for ASTM compliance for LSA certification which differentiates the a/c.

We will be assembling the importers (Sport A/C Australia) CTLS (Advanced) - Ultralight category at Jandakot; scheduled arrival 30 April. Our own replacement demonstrator will be a CTLS for registration under the LSA category on the CASA civil register.

Basil Lenzo - Cloud Dancer Sport Aircraft

Guest Basil Lenzo

CTLS Ballistic Chute

The CTLS comes standard with a ballistic chute - apparently what the USA market "wants". Our CTLS demonstrator has been ordered without the chute - we want the weight carrying capacity and do not believe that a chute in WA is a real benefit; if I was flying through the Victorian hinterland all the time I may have a different view. The only disadvantage is that you do not get a full cost credit because it actually causes the factory more work as they need to alter their production processes. The fact that they are now ISO 9002 accredited does in fact cause them additional costs to alter or change a process. We were happy to accept this cost disadvantage - we wanted to save the weight.

Basil Lenzo - Cloud Dancer Sport Aircraft

• 3 weeks later...

I have just ordered what will probably be the first "privately owned" CTLS in Ozz - as against dealer demo aircraft. I can reply to some of the questions raised in this forum. I admit to being somewhat biased in favour of the CTLS however, especially after having looked closely at the competition.

1. Aircraft cost? A shade in excess of A$150,000 all expenses paid, but the aircraft has "everything" for that.

2. My aircraft will be registered as 24-5445 with a max AUW of 544 kgs.

3. Extras include an inflight adjustable prop which can easily and relatively cheaply be converted to constant speed if that is your fancy.

4. I purposely did not order a 2 axis Autopilot as Dynon have just announced a new Autopilot (AP-74) that feeds directly from the D-100 EFIS. Dynon will have retro fit kits tailored specifically for the CTLS before too long. The capabilities of this pilot are way ahead of the current Tru-Trak units at less cost.

Why didn't I go LSA?

• Because I have had a gutful of CASA bull**** after 40+ years of aviating. I want to fly "for fun" again and I don't see the LSA Regs fitting in with that concept. You can't even fit a bit of carpet in LSA without factory authorisation = more cost and paperwork than you can imagine. For the sake of 56 kgs extra capability it is not worth the hassle that comes with that extra 56 kgs.

• By eliminating the BRS it saves you 20 kgs and A$1,700. That recovers part of the 56 kgs difference lost by not going LSA. My particular aircraft specs show an Empty Weight of 313 kgs.

When you compare the CTLS with other "new" LSA's available (Skylark, Sportcruiser etc) there is simply no comparison when considering standard of finish and equipment offered as standard. When you look deeper - at baggage capacity for instance, the competition doesn't even make it to the starting grid. I can remove the pax seat and carry a 2.7 mtr beach fishing rod, or if going x-country put in 25 kgs per side behind the seats (with a small endurance penalty) without getting the CofG out of limits.

Many small things, like a -12 deg Flap setting available in Ozz, return approx 5 kts in cruise speed over the US Spec aircraft. Marry this with the inflight adjustable prop and that should return a 75% cruise figure of approx 125 kts - but time will tell if that is correct. The Sportcruiser at full power cruise is flat out achieving 117 kts in cruise from what I saw, and that aircraft was fitted with an electric constant speed prop.

An interesting article appeared in the May edition of EAA Sport Pilot magazine ( see here http://sportpilot.org/magazine/feature/2008%20-%2005%20May%20-%20The%20Redesigned%20Flight%20Design%20CTLS.pdf ) with a detailed comparison between the CTSW & CTLS. (Note however that the -6 Flaps position applies to US delivered CTs only as the FAA require that Light Sports aircraft be limited to 120 Kts as mentioned by Wags.)

The first CTLS arrived in WA last weekend and is currently in the process of reassembly. There are some very nice new features as outlined in the above article.

• 1 month later...

Flying the CTLS...

Had the pleasure of flying CTLS 24-5262 last week.

I cannot compare to the CT2K or CTSW as I have not flown those particular versions.

Anyone familiar with a C182 will find the flight controls much lighter but ever so much more responsive. The ailerons on the CTLS are decidedly "heavy"... but it is something one can live with and will no doubt get used to in time. No doubt it satisfies a particular niche in the US market; but personally it would be nice if they were a whole lot lighter because the ailerons are very effective right down to, and through, the stall. I would best call them "lazy" ailerons as they are set up so as you hardly need to touch them in straight and level flight.

Stalling is a non-event... just add power and fly away. The wings remain level throughout the stall and the nose drop can best be considered as "mushy" or "mild".

Performance - stooge around all day with Flap 30 at 40 kts, add power and accellerate to over 120 kts. I calculated 127 kts TAS with 80% power at 2000ft and a fuel flow around the 20 ltr/hr mark.

Didn't get a chance to land the new "kid on the block" as the new kid is being protected from any bruising; but what I experienced was very impressive. The main u/cart absorbs shocks beautifully with little or no re-bound.

I came away with the impression that this aircraft is going to make huge in-roads into the touring aircraft market as it is very comfortable and roomy, performance is right "up there", it is extremely economical and the standard of build and finish is nothing short of first class.

Going by the reactions of others who flew 24-5262 that same day it will become one hugely popular and sort after Light Sport Aircraft.