25nm limitation

Guest Stixy

I have just converted from GA but have not done my RA X Country Endo.

I can have my aircraft at based at 2 locations 20nm apart. One is where I trained and the other is near my residence. (No hangarage there though)

Do I have to nominate 1 point of departure to fly 25nm from?

I dont want to use my points of departure as a 'hopping' type thing. I have been told that I can depart from both places.

I just want to know if I can fly 25nm from both of these points of departure.

I dont want to break any rules and dont want to go to any other points of departure, so if someone can point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

Dave

Guest davidh10

Stixy;

I can understand your question, given your circumstances.

The rules say that you cannot use a landing point to extend the 25nm radius, and there's no time duration mentioned for stay at a location. On the other hand if you trailered it to another AD you could then fly 25nm radius from that AD.

On that basis the original location of your aircraft is the base and defines the 25nm radius until it is moved to another AD by a means other than flying.

If you look at the likely motivation behind the rule, it is most probably that a person will be fairly familiar with the geography and landmarks of the location in which they have done their training, but less so and maybe have no familiarity with another locale. There are times when navigation without some training can be challenging, such as in the presence of haze, smoke, rain, low cloud, fog in the area that makes fixing the location more difficult. Imagine navigating home again, even from 25nm if the visibility approached VFR minima without the benefit of appropriate training and some experience.

I suspect the easiest way to fix the problem is to complete the X endorsement :)

Stixy, what stage were you at with GA? Nev

Did all my PPL Theory and up to Solo Navs.

We bought a block of land and wanted to build, so I ran out of money only a few weeks away from my Final Flight test!!

I have about 85hrs of GA time and have just done my RA Conversion.

Stixy;I can understand your question, given your circumstances.

The rules say that you cannot use a landing point to extend the 25nm radius, and there's no time duration mentioned for stay at a location. On the other hand if you trailered it to another AD you could then fly 25nm radius from that AD.

On that basis the original location of your aircraft is the base and defines the 25nm radius until it is moved to another AD by a means other than flying.

If you look at the likely motivation behind the rule, it is most probably that a person will be fairly familiar with the geography and landmarks of the location in which they have done their training, but less so and maybe have no familiarity with another locale. There are times when navigation without some training can be challenging, such as in the presence of haze, smoke, rain, low cloud, fog in the area that makes fixing the location more difficult. Imagine navigating home again, even from 25nm if the visibility approached VFR minima without the benefit of appropriate training and some experience.

I suspect the easiest way to fix the problem is to complete the X endorsement :)

Hey thanks for that.

Im not looking for an excuse to fly further, just checking on where I can fly from. I can relate to transporting to another location too.

I can also get someone to fly it to here I guess as PIC and then I fly around from this location?

Yeah the simplest way would be to do my X country, but I dont have anyone in this area that I can do it with. Wont take long if I can find someone around here.

I have done 20+hrs of Navs in GA with about 8hrs solo Navs but didnt get a chance to finish my flight test years ago unfortunately.

Can you believe there are no RA Aus training facilities around Tamworth.

Scone seems to be the closest, but I obviously want to do my endorsement in the Aircraft that I own and have paid for. Not wanting to go and spend additional money on hire.

I will contact the operations manager at RA Aus and explain my situation and see what his reply is.

Thanks again.

I have just converted from GA but have not done my RA X Country Endo.

Dave,

If you already have a PPL, you may be able to get a recognition of prior learning for the cross country endo.

http://raa.asn.au/opsmanual/2-07.pdf

Page 5 section 9, Cross Country Endorsement.

It's a little ambiguous in the way it's written, but it's probably worth having a yarn with your CFI or contacting mothership in Canberra for clarification.

Cheers!

** Disregard. Just saw your last post.

Yeah I didnt finish my PPL flight test.

Sat and passed my PPL theory Exams, and then just flew around on my restricted licence and did some Navs. I had passenger carrying Endo with that but I have to do some time in my X-Air before I get that again in RA.

transfer from GA.

ALL your GA work should count in RAA.

As you didn't finish the Nav, You don't HAVE Nav ( X-country) but your Nav.flying should count. Your real problem is the time that has passed and the fact that the RAAus instructor may have a few different ideas to what you were taught back then and he will want to be sure that you are competent. The 25 miles is a familiarity thing and it relates to the area where you did your training. IF you trailered your plane to some other place I cannot see why you could presume any familiarity with that new area??? so why would you apply the 25 miles? ( especially if it was close to major airports and control areas.). I would get right up on the theory before I spent any money with a new instructor and you might find that the cost ends up being minimal, as you can include a BFR at the same time,or an endorsement on another type. Flying in YOUR plane cannot be assumed to be acceptable automatically either. There could easily be insurance and other complications. Good luck.. Nev

It counts, that is what i did, similar thing to sixty. I did Ga Navs (dual), but never finished, i decided to go back to Raa, as it was cheaper. All my Dual Navs from GA counted.I did just one RAA nav with a instructor to see what level i was at.Did the 5 hours of solo navs, or what ever the minimum was.Then the x-country test.