800kg J430

jetjr

Looks like large Jabirus in South Africa can be supplied factory built to 800kg MTOW

Can update older models too

https://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=214017&sid=c1624f53defa1e088026f0b48533b716

I tried to follow the links etc to see where in the world this link emanated, given that I continue to be keen to upgrade my j430 to heavier MTOW. But as previously stated I tried but Jabiru said no, not once it’s already C of A’d At the old weight. 

I think this posting  saying it could be done might be from somewhere beyond CASAs grasp. 

South Africa

thought a J430 can be modifed to whatever you wanted if you were the builder

Nah. Turns out to be much harder than that.

I built mine in 2007 and the Jabiru kit was stated by Jabiru to be 700 kg MTOW in the literature that came with the kit. I assume they  have had to do some "certification" of the kit at some stage. 

When I got its C of A done by the AP,  the kit had been built using the standard Jabiru build schedule and was essentially unmodified. So the AP said something along the lines of " if you want me to certify it at 700kg I'll do it here and now. If you want it certified at anything more you have prove to me that it would be safe at that extra weight. " 

that would mean repeat  all the testing that Jabiru has done but at the higher weights. 

So I said "no thanks, no need, I want to go flying. 700 kg is fine. "

At that time I was unaware ( or maybe they hadnt at that time anyway) that in Sth Africa they had a 760 kg limit on the same aircraft. 

Much later ( maybe 2014 or so?..) when I learned about the 760 kg in South Africa and heard that Jabiru can write you a letter that upgrades the MTOW I spoke to Stiffy and asked about getting a letter. 

He was not keen ( and didn't) and said basically once the aircraft has been C of A'd at one weight that's it. CASA don't let you just chop and change. 

If I was building a new one - then they could supply the letter and that's it straight away go to the new weight. 

I don't know if that that is still the same now, I haven't bothered as I am rarely concerned by the weight going to 700 kg MTOW cos I don't fly with more than two people in it much at all any more. 

Fair enough, reckon I know someone who upgraded to 760 after an accident and rebuild

he also indicated that over 700 kg they loose much of what makes them nice to fly, there is a take off distance chart for 760 and you will see some serious increases in todr as weight goes up.

only upgrade is wing bolts, and they are std now I think

jabiru have done w&b and testing for the RSA guys for 800kg

Fair enough, reckon I know someone who upgraded to 760 after an accident and rebuild

he also indicated that over 700 kg they loose much of what makes them nice to fly, there is a take off distance chart for 760 and you will see some serious increases in todr as weight goes up.

only upgrade is wing bolts, and they are std now I think

jabiru have done w&b and testing for the RSA guys for 800kg

Do you know what size bolts they went to? 

I sssume just the next thickness up. 

I think from memory they are AN 4 bolts in it now. 

Reckon theres an SB about it, even 600 kg lsa if theres too much movement, ie clunk when wobbling end of the wing, they get drilled out and upsized

Mine were done at Bundy, had wings off for other tank work, when reassembled they werent happy and replaced bolts.

Reckon theres an SB about it, even 600 kg lsa if theres too much movement, ie clunk when wobbling end of the wing, they get drilled out and upsized

Mine were done at Bundy, had wings off for other tank work, when reassembled they werent happy and replaced bolts.

Don’t recall any SB about it. I do a search for them all every time I do 25 hourly or yearly. Haven’t seen any. 

But I also have not heard of an Australian jabs actually been given the up-weight to 760 (or now 800 kg ). 

Anyone know an an actual real aircraft that has been approved for the upgrade in Oz?