A great day to be Austering

kaz3g

It was just one of those days... light winds, mild temperatures and (sort of) blue skies.

My aeroclub, the Coldstream Fliers, had its AGM and bbq lunch today and then I coaxed (!!!) my FI mate, Sylvia into the Auster for a bit of a tour of the beautiful Yarra Valley.

I've had a new tailwheel yoke fitted and it is castoring perfectly so the taxi was a joy. The take off was a blast and then Sylvia had a go at some (very) steep turns over the aerobatic area... and nicely done.

Sylvia's last tailwheel time was a while back in DJP's Decathlon JIR and she handed control back to me for the landing which was a pretty passable 3-pointer.

She was still riding with me and I heard her quietly ask: "Where's the runway gone?" as the tail settled and everything out the front disappeared under the nose. Then there was a comment about the brakes not being there, either (Austers have heel brakes and cable activated drums, not hydraulic discs). But she loved it and I was chuffed by her obvious enjoyment of my little bird.

How lucky we are, we aviators? Able to cast off the earth and float high above it away from the pressures below. A magic day. 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

And I see you are back with us DJP. How was the competition and how was Colorado?

kaz

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... And I see you are back with us DJP. How was the competition and how was Colorado?

Colorado is very pleasant, generally, although 6" of snow on the road while driving to the venue slowed me down plus the area being on tornado watch with strong winds meant that I was unable to practice in the S-2C prior to the contest. I was pretty happy with the result after jumping into an unfamiliar airplane and flying at density height around 8,000 ft.http://www.usnationalaerobatics.org/IAC/IAC_ContestResults.asp?ContestID=359

I haven't flown an Auster for ages. Back then I was told that if you can land an Auster you can land anything, but I knew I couldn't land anything and I wasn't too sure about Austers.

Hi Kaz,

I too have many memorable flights in Austers...... today tho I spent the morning spreading fertiliser with an Airtractor in conditions that weren't so pleasant. 15 knots of quatering tailwind from the left on takeoff on a steep, rough very average 'airstrip'. Then off to spread the fertiliser on a block in the lee of a large mountain range. With the shoulder straps done up as tight as I could get them, I still hit the roof reguarly in the turbulence...... and do you know what...... I would not change jobs with anyone.

You are right, we aviators are a very lucky bunch.

Cheers,

Kiwi.

• Like 1

... I was pretty happy with the result after jumping into an unfamiliar airplane and flying at density height around 8,000 ft.http://www.usnationalaerobatics.org/IAC/IAC_ContestResults.asp?ContestID=359.

You got a great result in esteemed company, so you ought be pretty happy, too!

That Auster experience must have helped you in the strong winds, I'm sure :-)

Kaz

If any of you Auster owners out there are after Mag's or Gypsy 1 engine parts send me a private message I have a few spares to unload!

• 5 months later...

A 150-160 HP Lycoming would be a nice move. Should save a lot of weight. You might just have to extend the nose a bit for balance. If you go bigger it will exceed Vne in cruise .The Mk V had a "flat' motor. Nev

A 150-160 HP Lycoming would be a nice move. Should save a lot of weight. You might just have to extend the nose a bit for balance. If you go bigger it will exceed Vne in cruise .The Mk V had a "flat' motor. Nev

My STC is for a Lyc 0-360-A (180 HP); there are about half a dozen of them on the register.

Mine has an 0-320 160 hp up front. Was originally built with an 0-290, converted to Gypsy at Sydney by Kingsford Smith then rebuilt and its current engine fitted at a total rebuild a few years back.

Kaz

• Like 1

Mine has an 0-320 160 hp up front. Was originally built with an 0-290, converted to Gypsy at Sydney by Kingsford Smith then rebuilt and its current engine fitted at a total rebuild a few years back.Kaz

Yes, I know that one - nice aircraft. However the J5G is a bit heavier and it goes rather well with the 0-360.

Was there one done with a Cont 0--300.? I recall a Yellow and black? one at Bankstown. in the 60's. Autocar I think The six cylinder would be nice and smooth. Nev

Not that I'm aware of (not that that proves anything). There was a J5G conversion on floats that was done by Aerosmith in the early 1970's, but I think that had an 0-360 in it, too.

Th

Yes, I know that one - nice aircraft. However the J5G is a bit heavier and it goes rather well with the 0-360.

There is a totally immaculate J5G for sale at Maryborough (Vic) fitted with the 0-360 but the owner wants a lot of money for it.

Only flown a few hours since a total rebuild and has a beautiful paint job and top quality interior.

Kaz

Isn't the J5G the aerobatic one. There is also a good restored aerobatic model at Kempsey.

No, the J5G was the Cirrus Autocar; the aerobatic one is the J5F. The J5B is the Autocar with a Gipsy Major. The J5G is a 2400 lb MTOW aeroplane with 1000 lb disposable load, so they were actually quite capable. Still maintenance-intensive, of course.

Thanks Dafydd,

Mine is a J1B, the manufactuer's hand book says spins approved, the CAA approved POH says spins not approved. Got me bluffed ...

BTW Dafydd, this may interest you. Mine (VH-KBY) was operated by the Wagga gliding club back in the 70s and was pranged and totaled on an EFATO towing a glider. It was subsequently fully restored in 1998, but without the tow hook (damn it).

She is currently undergoing maintenance and I am looking for a tow hook, because the LAME at Luskintyre has acquried a 1938 single seat timber German Glider that has a max towing speed of 47 knots, which the J1B can manage. So in the not too distant future I will be looking for a tow endorsement and may be towing an antique glider out of Luskintyre. Perhaps you may know where I can get an Auster glider tow hook assembly?

My recollection is they were clipped wing and a separate endorsement. ( Such a demanding aircraft.) tee hee Mr Llewellyn would be able to fill you in better than me there as to wing section. As an opinion I would be surprised if it was symmetrical as the engines never ran inverted. They lose oil pressure fairly quickly and you should wait till the pressure is regular before applying power after you have been mucking around. Do it in a Tiger instead. There's plenty of them around and find out how you feel with nothing above you and you go inverted..Nev.