• Please read this important announcement HERE

A Morgan from a plan????

pete8862

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2010
Messages
183
Ratings
18
Location
Brisbane
#1
Hi all,
Can anyone tell me if you can build a morgan Sierra from scratch, I have looked at what you get in a kit & to me it looks if you got the steel sections the rest is just raw aluminium that all needs to be cut drilled shaped & constucted.
Is this right or have I missed something.
They look like a great aircraft to fly & build.
Pete
 
Joined
Mar 30, 2009
Messages
43
Ratings
17
#2
Hi Pete,
Yes the kit is basicly scratch building from 80% raw material. But importantly, the other 20% is vital fibreglass parts such as engine cowls, main landing-gear, wing tips,seat bases etc. Welded steel items are also supplied in kit, and a cast aluminium nose-wheel yoke. An aircraft Serial number is also provided with each kit, needed for registration.
All this would make it very difficult to just build from some plans.
cheers, Dave.
 

Guernsey

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 9, 2009
Messages
2,652
Ratings
1,471 33
Location
Adelaide
Country
Country
#4
Hi Pete, they are a great aircraft so do what we did, go down to Taree and fly one.
No more sales talk from me, the aircraft will do it all on it's own. Alan.
 

jpreou

New Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
15
Ratings
7
Country
Country
#5
Yes the kit is basicly scratch building from 80% raw material.
This is interesting. I wonder if sourcing some materials, especially the big Al sheets, locally would be cheaper than having Garry freight them over. If I go with the Sierra, I'll have to look into this possibility.
Hmmm...