A new iPad Mini

Garfly

905357161_Screenshot2019-03-2119_31_43.thumb.png.8b074d31482cb7670141b0d1a20e3fdc.png

It's been a long wait for a refresh of the small iPad. The word was that Apple was going to drop it altogether.

But finally the iPad 5 is here.  Big enough for charts and small enough for cockpits.

And I reckon the Apple Pencil (virtual notebook) will also be handy for our purposes.

(Note taking by finger writing never really worked too well!)

https://www.apple.com/au/ipad-mini/

https://ipadpilotnews.com/2019/03/its-finally-here-apple-releases-new-ipad-mini/

I think there was discussion on here some years back when the original Mini came out and the conclusion was that it did pass muster for size.

Actually, I find even the mini a bit big to mount so I have a large iPhone up on the dash in a RAM mount and the iPad Mini (running the same plan) on the knee pad.

• Informative 1

Yeah, so we can look at the iPhone like a replacement for the GPS devices we used to use (for situational awareness, of course!) And the iPad can be used as a legal replacement for paper charts. And each backs up the other.

Actually, I think that when you expand the map on the iPhone (especially the bigger ones) you're seeing more detail than old eyes could ever see on paper maps.

Also, using OzRwys and Avmap we can have every single aviation chart available for the whole country at our fingertips; all of them absolutely up to date. Plus the aeronautical data-base updates virtually every time you turn it on. And then you have your perfectly up to date ERSA (not to mention all the AIPs CAAPs etc) so you don't any more have to carry around the old paper brick. 

The iPad size, satisfies the CASA requirement to carry maps (on a ramp check they might want to know what your back up would be if the device goes U/S.  And, of course, it's still on the books that we're not supposed to rely for nav on any non-TSO'd GNSS gear. So we need to keep a nav/fuel log to be legal  But I'm thinking the new iPad with its pencil might satisfy that requirement. You could electronically export the Plan Sheet from your EFB and write in the details as you go along. (Which, to be sure, can also be done now on paper.)

• Like 1

Ha, ha ... you know it SP!   

Clearly compensating for lack of flying. 

Heck, I've become an OzRWYs geek more on my X-plane than my A-plane!

By the way, regarding this observation

I recon too small for my oldfart eyes. I use ipad air, ipone too small

Two things: your avatar attests that you're still a long way from oldfart status ... and, it's not your iPhone that's too small, it's your aeroplane! 

If you go electric panel.

You have to have Good battery !.

"Work in progress for my new dashpanel with the new "OMNIA57" instruments by Flybox Avionics.

You can see the new instruments to measure Volt Ampere, the only one available on the market which monitors the status of the electrical plant,

and makes a real time diagnosis;

it is mandatory if you have installed an engine with electronic ignition/injection.  Hummel builder's".

My HB doesn't have a battery, only Magneto ignition, But why is volt/amp-meter Mandatory ?.

spacesailor

HummelBirdElectricPanel1.jpg.6660d1674541aa227148a245ee2a304f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This from the CASA site...

What is the minimum size for an EFB?

EFBs need to be able to display information in a manner comparable to the paper aeronautical charts and data they replace. They should have a minimum screen size of approximately 200mm measured diagonally across the active viewing area. A PDA can only be used for calculations.

A smartphone is not appropriate or acceptable as either a primary or backup device.

This from the CASA site...

doesn’t apply to private operations

My iPad Mini is a few years old and meets those CASA requirements anyway - they amended the text after the iPad Mini came out. I use my iPhone as a backup .... sometimes I just have the iPhone as sole source and that is legal - in that case my backup is memory and visual with mental calcs.

doesn’t apply to private operations

Hmm... Where does it say it's not for private operators. My training mentioned it all the way through it, and I was not doing commercial!!

If all comes down to the difference between 'must' and 'should' in casa wording. The 200mm minimum is a 'should' and therefore not a requirement, only a recommendation.

No, what I meant was, my flight school advised that I could not use my iPhone as a backup as it was too small. Had to be 2 iPads.

Flying schools and other commercial operators require their Operations Manual to specify procedures for use of EFBs so must comply with the rules in the CAO and, of course, whatever their local CASA FOI requires ... which most likely will be that recommendation.Who is affected by the EFB regulations?

So, when the flight school tells you something I can only assume that the context is while you are training so what they state must be in accordance with their Operations Manual? If not, they are probably giving you good advice but they are not telling you what the law is. In private operations you get to make the decision yourself.

If I'm going somewhere busy and/or somewhere I'm not familiar with then I want everything going for me. If I'm going on a dawdle which CASA would say is a cross-country then I might go with just the iPhone and I would get through a ramp check per Ramp checks | CASA Out-n-Back

Read the CAAP Electronic flight bag

"This CAAP looks to provide guidance for the use of EFB by Air Operator’s Certificate (AOC) holders as they are bound to meet the obligations detailed in the AOC conditions set out in Appendix 9 of CAO 82.0. ....... The CAAP will also provide general guidance for private operators." There are nil requirements for private operators regarding this discussion.

• Agree 1