CASA too busy to check Essendon plans

pmccarthy

Turns out that the buildings encroach significantly on the runway clearance, but

“Gathering the information required for the authority’s assessment of whether every item in a Draft Master Plan will be compliant with civil aviation safety requirements would be time-consuming and expensive,” says CASA.

A CASA spokesman said the DFO building was marked on charts and equipped with hazard lights.

• Like 1

I would have though that this sort of thing is exactly what they should administer, as a priority.. They are happy to put small businesses out of business. because they have no "Clout". ALL those Aerodrome permits were outside the normal Councils  land use Authority as it's  under Casa's control. ." Commonwealth " property. What about the effect on Local winds (turbulence)  the large billboards cause.? Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I would have though that this sort of thing is exactly what they should administer, as a priority.

Depends whether they had prescribed an angle or distance etc, and it was demonstrably wrong.

If the structures on the airfield were in accordance with CASA prescriptions they might have a problem.

If the 99 year lessees built into the operational area it's more likely they would not and that the duty of care to comply would have rested on the lessee.

I agree it's an odd statement for CASA to make if they didn't have a duty of care.

ALL those Aerodrome permits were outside the normal Councils  land use Authority as it's  under Casa's control. ." Commonwealth " property.

I don't think any permits would be required, depending on the contract between the lessee and the Commonwealth of Australia, the owner of the land.

I don't believe CASA would have any control unless it was written into that contract.

However, the area shown below is withing the Moonee Valley Council Planning Scheme, and the whole of the triangular shaped airport environs are zoned CA (Commonwealth of Australia), and within that the area containing the large tanks is zoned PUZ1 (Public Use Zone 1). Moonee Valley Council have no jurisdiction in the CA Zone, and from my previous experience none in a PUZ,

However, The Responsible Authority, Moonee Valley Council, for the Council Planning Scheme has made the public statement that if it was administering the CA, the Commercial buildings would not have been allowed.

What about the effect on Local winds (turbulence)  the large billboards cause.? Nev

If they were to cause a crash its normal for all of the people who were involved in putting them there to be dragged in as defendants.

Disclaimer: Since I'm not a lawyer there's no guarantee that any of this would be considered, and also many public statements relating to the condition and handling of the aircraft have been made. What we do know is that the families are now represented by lawyers so something is going ahead.

S4543.thumb.JPG.5abe5c19ac2e81ac33845c6e941a41b4.JPG

Too busy creating mountains of paperwork for everyone and creating costs to administer said paperwork to be bothered with those pesky unimportant things like whether an airport master plan is compliant.

CASA will no doubt initiate another 258 employees at $85,000 each to add to their staffing levels...all passed on to the flying community.