• Please read this important announcement HERE

A riveting weekend

Deskpilot

Ratings
946 17
Country
Country
Pylon, sorry forgotten your name, anyway. your folding wing looks the same as I want to do with my Thruster. Care to show me/us how you intend to make the fold assembly?
This is what I envisioned:
Folding wing 1.jpg Folding wing 2.jpg Folding wing 3.jpg Folding wing 4.jpg

Last edited:

pylon500

Ratings
927 19
Country
Country
Finally back from holidays...
OK, the wingfold is the same concept, but done a bit different.
It's an all metal wing with one strut.
The wing has a single spar, and is attached to the fuselage by what is basically a universal joint.
The strut is attached at to the wing via a rotating pin (a lot heavier than the Groppo Trail).
The rear spar is attached via a remotely pulled pin which, after 'unsafetied', is operated from the wingtip allowing the wing to roll forward to vertical while still being supported by the strut.
Then just swung back alongside the fuselage (will have some form of brace to hold it back).
Nothing is disconnected, fuel tubes just flex with the wing and the flaperon rods go up with the wing, pushing the flaperons to the full 'up' position to give clearance for the prop.
Folded Pusher.jpg

Deskpilot

Ratings
946 17
Country
Country
Thanks mate. The Thruster, not having a 'main spar' becomes a bit more difficult. I will have to maintain the front and rear spar locking points and disconnect the struts at their lower end. I like your idea of a remote pin-pull but don't think I can incorporate it in my system.