AAK Wasp

I have heard there may be one for sale, however, I can find very little info on it. Most articles/links efer to the AAK Hornet.

Does anyone have any experience, knowledge or info on the Wasp, please???

I have searched this site, and once again, more info on the Hornet as opposed to the Wasp. There was a post from Waspot, but he appears to no longer be on board.

Tks in advance.

Thanks Peter, I appreciate your suggestions, but I have already viewed those sites.

I was hoping someone with first hand experience of the Wasp might share their experiences.

cheers

First and foremost, any vices?????

Your answer, that Ole only built about 5, partially answers another question, why is there so little info, but if he only built 5, that explains that.

The next question, why only 5?

Real world cruise speed???

Very little reference to the Wasp on these pages, but poster Waspot, some time ago, mentioned how he took off with only about 20% fuel on board, and on climb out the engine stopped.

he said the fuel pickup was at thw front of the fuel tank, and on the climb out angle, the fuel was at thw back of the tank, not the front.

is this still an issue????

And, are they a worthwhile little machine???

Thanks for any info.

cheers. :)

Quick reply would be that the original concept was for a docile, high visibility trainer that showed promise, but required more development and even a lot more investment to get to a certified stage.

As for performance, the ones I flew seemed happy cruising in the 75~85kt range with the 912s, or could probably cruise at 95~100kts if you wanted to pour fuel down it's throat.

Had good visibility and I guess average handling.

No major flaws, just a lot of little tweaks that took up too much of the Hornet production time.

Had a dig and found this photo while having a quiet cruise around in a Wasp.

Numbers and stability speak for themselves.

Don't know why the EGT's were so high?

19-5207.thumb.jpg.669420c943877e32fba59588b612ebd7.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Wirraway,

From a friend who works at AAK :-

"The Wasp is a mid wing, nose wheel 2 seat training aircraft that Ole developed years ago, but there wasn’t a market for it as that market segment is quite saturated. He only produced two flyers and two additional kits and the Wasp went out of production about a decade ago. There are still plans and some of the templates, but I doubt any further kits could be made.

Should someone be looking at a second hand Wasp or kit he should give Ole a call, there is a partially finished kit out there which had non-approved mods and should be avoided."

So I suggest you visit the AAK website and, using the Contact page, either call or email Ole for further info.

HTH

Cheers,

Neil

• Informative 1

Dr Kev in the hangar behind me has a Wasp at Caboolture. Well he did still have it last time I looked in there. He did fly it years ago and had some issues with balance I think. They all got sorted but he built a RV and has been flying it. I am pretty sure he bought the Wasp already built

Its bright yellow

Had a dig and found this photo while having a quiet cruise around in a Wasp.

Numbers and stability speak for themselves.

Don't know why the EGT's were so high?

[ATTACH type=full" alt="19-5207.jpg]53292[/ATTACH]

Hi Arthur,

That photograph is the Hornet isnt it? I thought the wasp was the two seat tandem tail wheel; at least the prototype I saw was.

Hi Arthur,

That photograph is the Hornet isnt it? I thought the wasp was the two seat tandem tail wheel; at least the prototype I saw was.

?

Sorry, a little confusion there...

The above photo is a view out of the Wasp, the Hornet has a centre vertical brace in the windscreen, and as can be seen, this is a side by side aircraft.

Quick bit of (unofficial) history.

Ole's first product was the Hornet STOL, which is the highwing, two seat side by side taildragger, and still in production.

He then made the Wasp which is a mid wing, two seat side by side tricycle gear, notable for it's forward swept wings to get the pilots in front of the main spar for visibility. (Discontinued)

His next machine was the Bushman, which was an oversized tandem Hornet (two built) which led to the Hornet 'Cub' which is a similarly sized tandem version of the Hornet, and both are still in orderable.

The latest variation has been the Flamingo, which was designed as a Super Slow machine, used to tow hang gliders.

It achieved most of the flight goals, but couldn't compete with the price of the basic dacron and tube Moyes Dragonfly.

Pictures of these machines can be seen on his website; http://www.aircraftkits.com.au/

Edited by pylon500
  • Informative 1

• 10 months later...