RA-Aus Or HGFA

Nick Evison

Hi guys,

can i have some of your thoughts as to which avenue i should go down? I fly flexwings in the UK with a UK licence i need to transfer this over when i return to australia in April. I also want to fly 3 axis microlights and paragliders. Can RA Aus provide cover for all three? any differance for flexwings between one or the other governing bodys?

Cheers .

With RAAus you can fly 3-axis, flexwing and powered parachutes such as the Aerochutes and you can fly hang-glider, para-glider & flexwings with the HGFA.

Trikes are the only sport aviation where you have a choice of governing bodies but they are a minority in both and hence aren't the primary interest of either.

These days their interests probably align more naturally with RAAus and the majority of trike schools are now under their banner but, if nanolight soaring trikes are your thing the HGFA might be more suitable. The rules & regulations for trikes are "supposed" to be the same for both organisations (although implementation seems to vary) and both recognise each others qualifications.

There are very few trike schools in Aus compared to the UK so for most people the choice of which organisation is dictated by the orientation of their nearest instructor.

Cheers

John

Thankyou both for your help, Im actually going to train to be a flex instructor in the near future so there will be more around. The english have such crappy weather but seem to have alot more flying going on which is great. Can someone advise what differances training i will have to do to convert my licence over and aircraft reg for that matter. Cheers

• Helpful 1

Assuming your flying is up to scratch (which it should be with an NPPL-M), you probably wouldn't need much more than a check ride with an appropriate CFI. At their discretion, you may also need to do some of the Aussi exams, as the rules over here are different in some respects to what you are used to.

A legal UK microlight would be able to be registered over here - the process should be relatively straightforward but isn't always. What type is it ?

As there are relatively few trike schools in Aus there are even fewer places to do an instructor rating. PM me if you want more info.

Cheers

John

All the trike pilots in the Hunter Valley area I've met are HGFA

I believe the local school operates under HGFA so it wouldn't be surprising that the pilots are also.

Cheers

John

i have a pegasus quantum 912 which other people have registed in australia i believe. Ill be based in Nowra nsw when i return.

There are (or were) at least 2 Qtm912 over here so it shouldn't be a problem. To register yours with RAAus would basically involve an inspection by a person with RAAus Level 2 maintenance accreditation (something akin to the annual permit inspection you currently require). The L2 completes an Aircraft Condition Report which you submit along with proof of de-registration in the UK and photos of cockpit warning placards & of the wing displaying the new rego.

However the nearest trike instructors to you are HGFA - I'm not familiar with their process (never having done it). I wouldn't imagine its too different but AFAIK they don't have an equivalent of Level 2 Maintenance authorities so they probably accept a CFI instead.

A good contact would be Tony Dennis www.trikefan.com

Cheers

John

Skydiving also has two controlling bodies. APF and ASA.

I guess I would have to concede that skydiving is just about part of sport aviation ;-)

Never come across ASA though - I'm guessing it isn't an acronym for AirServicesAustralia ! Who are they & how ome there are 2 responsible authorities ?

Cheers

John

Australian Skydiving Association is based in Euroa. It came about after a dispute between a drop zone operator and the APF around 20 years ago. They recently had their first fatality when a visiting American jumper was killed after mishandling his canopy. The ASA basically control operations on their own drop zone only. But it does go to show that if needed the parallel paths still does exist if a group wanted to break away. The ASA ops manual is almost word for word to the APF ops manual.

However the nearest trike instructors to you are HGFA - I'm not familiar with their process (never having done it). I wouldn't imagine its too different but AFAIK they don't have an equivalent of Level 2 Maintenance authorities so they probably accept a CFI instead

HGFA have WM Inspectors as well as WM/Rotax Maintenance personnel now. Ned, I beleive is both (and a CFI) 017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif

I may not be right here, but I feel that if you have full British accreditation, and have a G-xxxx registered Trike (as we call them), you should be able to bring it here and fly it (for a few months at least) on your own license.

It would pay to contact RAAus first to be sure.

I would say contact CASA, but they will just offload you to RAAus or HGFA anyway.

Technically your UK License should outrank our Certificate.

I may not be right here, but I feel that if you have full British accreditation, and have a G-xxxx registered Trike (as we call them), you should be able to bring it here and fly it (for a few months at least) on your own license.It would pay to contact RAAus first to be sure.

I would say contact CASA, but they will just offload you to RAAus or HGFA anyway.

Technically your UK License should outrank our Certificate.

I circumnavigated Australia in a G-xxxx trike many years ago. British microlights (including trikes) operate on a Permit to Fly rather than a CoA. Hence there is no legal entitlement to fly in other countries airspace & to fly one here requires permission from CASA. RAAus has no authority to issue permission for this.

Although the British NPPL(M) is issued by the UK CAA, it is not an ICAO recognised qualification & therefore has no automatic entitlement to be used in other countries.

Cheers

John