ASIC renewal

JG3

I need to renew my ASIC card.

I realize that RAAus aren't involved any longer, but who do I go to?? I did a search and couldn't find the answer, but did find one post that there are other options than CASA. 

Does anyone know the best procedure now??

Please no tirade of how ridiculous the ASIC concept is, we all know that only too well......

Securityid.com.au

I've done a few re-newals through them. Fast efficient. All online...

The system now requires you to take original docs to post office manager for confirmation  AFTER going through the security id sysyem.

You go through the security id system. They send you a page to print out. Take that and docs to PO. Bobs your uncle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The last time, to make it simpler, I jumped in the car and drove down to Aviation ID at Merimbula Airport (since I was in the region).

If you can manage to go there it can be done in an hour or so. But you must make sure to bring all the documents you need - including your birth certificate. I believe.)

If you do it at a Post Office I guess you need to show them your Birth Certificate.  As I remember it, a passport is no longer enough.

You do need a full BC. An Extract is not sufficient. You also need the usual photo ID etc etc. 

Check with your local CFI because mine is now an Agent and was able to check my original documents against the scanned copy sent with my application before handing over my card to me. This saved me the cost that the Post Office would otherwise charge.

kaz

• Informative 1

What gets up my nose is that CASA is an arm of the government of Australia (I think????)

That government has already sighted and verified my birth certificate in order to issue me a passport

When it comes to an ASIC (issued by that govt of Aus), my passport is insufficient evidence and they want my birth certificate as the primary (A) source of evidence of who I am

When I go to another department of government, they want my passport as the primary source of evidence of who I am and my birth certificate does not cut it because it doesnt have a piccy of me on it  035_doh.gif.20945f41f6940e42c02c6776496d81c2.gif

WTF

Obviously they all work in silos and dont talk to each other

• Agree 3

I paid the post office about $45 and was surprised that in Gladstone they seemed to know what they were doing. Then later I had to send in a photo of the back of my drivers licence that the PO had missed. Reason being that the back has my address on it.

what a load of rubbish.

CASA really has nothing to do with ASICs.

I didnt say CASA issues ASICs

What I was referring to is that they are issued by the government of Australia, BUT why wont one government department recognise identification issued by another department of the same government..... 033_scratching_head.gif.92f700cf00fb9c6c6818598d44101896.gif

ASICs are a form of identification to some departments, but not others

I just finished the ASIC renewal process at the post office. Good service. I used securityid.com.au. Was an easy process online, very good website; I didn't even get confused by it....

Now I can stop at those security controlled airports when necessary for fuel. Might do it 2-3 times, so costly fuel......

I just finished the ASIC renewal process at the post office. Good service. I used securityid.com.au. Was an easy process online, very good website; I didn't even get confused by it....

Now I can stop at those security controlled airports when necessary for fuel. Might do it 2-3 times, so costly fuel......

2-3 times a year would not be frequent access, also you would probably  stay away from the "secure" area what ever that is.

20171016_121121.thumb.jpg.df51cd4a2ec22656624216691cb80022.jpg

2-3 times a year would not be frequent access, also you would probably  stay away from the "secure" area what ever that is.

It was, (formerly,anyway), an area bounded by a blue line, which enclosed all of the RPT parking points on the airport. I understood that lighties were not to taxy through this area, and that it was considered 'secure' for 30/60 mins prior to, and after, an RPT operation.

It would be relatively easy to avoid these if you were operating off an 'RPT' airport, and you didn't need avgas. But, the 'RPT' taxiway lines, and parking points, have grown in number at many airports, and have encroached over the area needed to access the avgas pumps. This was obviously unforeseen back when it was one RPT per day, but now that the RPT parking has expanded: it has pushed ever closer to the avgas pump, and created a physical clearance and 'security' issue for lighties who only wish to refuel there.

Well, now I already have my new ASIC card, only 8 days (including a weekend) since making the application. That's a heck of a lot better than the old RAAus system that took weeks, and needed more runaround finding a JP, etc, etc.

Took maybe an hour of my time on the initial application, scanning in my documents, next day received a reply asking for scans of the back page of a couple of docs and including a barcode and list of acting post offices, the lady at the post office scanned the barcode and my docs again and took my photo and sent online. By the time I got home there was a confirmation email from the processor. Today the card arrived by Express Post, along with a frame and pocket clip and neck lanyard and fridge magnet with expiry date reminder. Brilliant service all the way! 

That was done by securityid.com.au

• Like 4
  • Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just got the latest from RAAus, their rose tinted glasses view of the world.

One gf the good things about RAAus is that we don't need an ASIC, according to them.

They then go on to say how we can get cheaper fuel at a load of airports, which I think all require an ASIC to legally step on the ground airside. Do we need an ASIC to refuel for example at Albury?

"My fuel costs are roughly 40% of those for other pilots"...... RAA, 30/04/2019

So...... where do I sign up to THAT rebate system?

The bullsh!t gets so deep you need wings to stay above it....

Maybe they should add:

"If you're not an RAA member, you don't have to pay $245 membership"

" If you're not an aircraft owner, you don't have to pay $185 registration"

"If you do not fly any aircraft at all, your aircraft costs will be zero."

People can make up anything they want .....

So let’s break this down even further, following are just some of the advantages we have flying RAAus;

• I can get a full Pilot Certificate at 15 years of age, not 16 as with CASA

• I don't need a $400 medical every 2-4 years

• I can fly/train the $150/$190 rental aircraft from my local school vs the $250/$300 Warrior/Cessna

• I don't need to pay or renew an ASIC security card

• I can do basic maintenance myself and don't need to use a LAME if my aircraft is just used privately

• I get automatic access to the RAAus scholarship program for financial support if I’m under 25.

• My fuel costs are roughly 40 percent of those for other pilots

• I don’t need a tractor to move my aircraft

• Discounted Third Party Insurance included with your membership.

• I get a first class free online aviation magazine every four weeks

• I can deal with a member focussed organisation with easy to use online resources at my disposal

I like the tractor one best, the weight increase must be on hold

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just got the latest from RAAus, their rose tinted glasses view of the world.

One gf the good things about RAAus is that we don't need an ASIC, according to them.

They then go on to say how we can get cheaper fuel at a load of airports, which I think all require an ASIC to legally step on the ground airside.

Do we need an ASIC to refuel for example at Albury?

Not if you don't do it frequently? See operational need.

Introduction

1. The Aviation and Maritime Security Identification Card schemes (ASIC and MSIC schemes) were introduced by the Australian Government to enhance the existing ‘layers of security’ designed to safeguard the aviation and maritime industries.[1] ASICs and MSICs are displayed by individuals to demonstrate that the holder has had their background checked and is permitted to be in the ‘secure areas’ of aviation and maritime zones (typically specific parts of airports, seaports and offshore facilities, such as oil and gas rigs). ASICs and MSICs are generally required by a range of people who work in secure zones, including: airline staff; airport service workers; baggage handlers; port service workers; stevedores; and transport operators such as train and truck drivers.

2. The ASIC and MSIC schemes are established by the Aviation Transport Security Act 2004 (ATS Act) and the Maritime Transport and Offshore Facilities Security Act 2003 (MTOFS Act). The aim of the schemes is to: safeguard against unlawful interference with Australia’s aviation, maritime transport and offshore facilities, and to reduce the risk of terrorist infiltration.

3. The ASIC and MSIC legislation prescribes a range of conditions for the use of the cards and the eligibility criteria for obtaining an ASIC or MSIC. Table S.1 outlines the broad key criteria for obtaining an ASIC or MSIC.

Table S.1: Criteria for obtaining an ASIC and MSIC

ANAO-Report_2010-2011_39_table-0S-01.png

Source: Aviation Transport Security Regulations 2005 (ATS Regulations) and Maritime Transport and Offshore Facilities Security Regulations 2003 (MTOFS Regulations

What would frequent access mean? Several times a day, once a day or less. I personally would not define frequent if I accessed an area once a week or less. I also wonder how they define adverse in relation to criminal history. I wouldn't be happy letting someone in to a secure area even if they had a petty theft conviction.