Auster J5G restoration

kgwilson

A friend of mine owns a J5G 4 seater that he has been planning to restore for many years but now finds that at 70 and owning several other machines he is unlikely ever to get around to it so he will to part with it for a very reasonable price to someone prepared to restore it to it's former glory. It has a Cirrus 155 HP engine. It is located at South Grafton.

He has owned it for over 40 years and flew it all over the place before removing the wings and putting it in his hangar, hoisting it well off the floor. It will need new fabric and probably a fair bit of TLC as it is pretty well covered in dust etc but it was flying before he decided to put it away for the full restoration which never happened.

If anyone is interested start a conversation (PM) & I'll put you in touch with the owner.

Kevin

• Like 1

(Blackburn) Cirrus Autocar if I recall correctly I think there was a couple at Newcastle in the early days. Bit more roomy in the back than the Ubiquitous J1's. Nev.

Go GA exp. I'd buy a brand new motor anyhow. Probably cheaper in the long run. Some cylinder kits for versions of that engine can be real dear. They are common in RV's, and you would probably be better off with the Dynafocal mount? Nev

Erhm - the Lyc 0-360-A already has a dynafocal mount. Also, you had better look up CASA Advisory Circular 21.10 (look on the CASA website under CARS 1998, CASR Part 21) for the constraints that apply to using a factory-built aircraft for an experimental purpose. It's not as straightforward as you seem to imagine.

• Informative 1

Most warbirds run EXP don't they? I few people have told me it's the best way to go when you wish to mod extensively with things like instruments/ autopilot etc. I'm no expert here. I'm just going on what I have been told. I couldn't even get a throttle friction nut on the Citabria, any easy way. Nev

Most warbirds run EXP don't they? I few people have told me it's the best way to go when you wish to mod extensively with things like instruments/ autopilot etc. I'm no expert here. I'm just going on what I have been told. I couldn't even get a throttle friction nut on the Citabria, any easy way. Nev

They run under the clause that allows them to be used for display purposes. You can't use one as a general hack under that clause. The J5G is a certificated aircraft, and with the o-360 in it under an STC, could (if anybody wanted to) be used for a commercial purpose. But it makes a very useful four-seat private aircraft, if its C of A remains in force.

• Caution 1

The J5G is a certificated aircraft, and with the o-360 in it under an STC, could (if anybody wanted to) be used for a commercial purpose. But it makes a very useful four-seat private aircraft, if its C of A remains in force.

Would be nice to see these OLDer aircraft go onto a "Permit to Fly " system like they have done in the UK. Much easier and cheaper to maintain. Aus / NZ don't seem to want to go down this track with aircraft like the Auster.

• 2 weeks later...
A friend of mine owns a J5G 4 seater that he has been planning to restore for many years but now finds that at 70 and owning several other machines he is unlikely ever to get around to it so he will to part with it for a very reasonable price to someone prepared to restore it to it's former glory. It has a Cirrus 155 HP engine. It is located at South Grafton.He has owned it for over 40 years and flew it all over the place before removing the wings and putting it in his hangar, hoisting it well off the floor. It will need new fabric and probably a fair bit of TLC as it is pretty well covered in dust etc but it was flying before he decided to put it away for the full restoration which never happened.

If anyone is interested start a conversation (PM) & I'll put you in touch with the owner.

Kevin

Kevin

I'd be interested in chatting with your friend, concerning his J5G. Grateful if you could get in touch when convenient. Thanks

Mark

[email protected]/0415900554

• 1 year later...
A friend of mine owns a J5G 4 seater that he has been planning to restore for many years but now finds that at 70 and owning several other machines he is unlikely ever to get around to it so he will to part with it for a very reasonable price to someone prepared to restore it to it's former glory. It has a Cirrus 155 HP engine. It is located at South Grafton.He has owned it for over 40 years and flew it all over the place before removing the wings and putting it in his hangar, hoisting it well off the floor. It will need new fabric and probably a fair bit of TLC as it is pretty well covered in dust etc but it was flying before he decided to put it away for the full restoration which never happened.

Kevin

Hello Kevin i would love to talk to your freind or maybe even you about his j5g it sounds very interesting could you please ring me or txt me when its convenient with you and i will ring you thanks Bulldog