B737 max new tests

They may be able to get them recertified and into the air again - but their biggest battle will be convincing pax that they are now as safe as the original B737. That could take some doing. Boeings credibility is in tatters, like a battlefield flag.

• Like 1

I reckon there must be a few Boeing people who secretly (or maybe now not secretly) wish they had bitten the (expensive) bullet & designed a brand new narrow body Jet when they made that Max decision. The bean counters won out though & after the excrement hit the fan and the fiddles and failures eventually surfaced it was all over rover.

• Agree 1

A complete redesign would be a formidable cost. The improvement was all related to the engine's efficiency, so hard prospect to sell a full redesign and it would take too long. The low floor easy access advantage proved to be a limiting concept with the bulkier motor and it's forward location requirement.. The FIX was poorly executed and deceptively marketed. Quality control issues are mixed with all this as well as no FAA overwatch.. Most pax would not know or care what brand of plane they are flying in as long as the ticket is cheap. The issue is about Liability and being sued. Nev

It's changed..... IF it's Boeing, I'm not going. ALL pilots I know were of the same opinion. Actually, although the 737 is very popular it's had previous (unrelated) problems. Rudder actuator malfunction.. Nev

I haven't heard, "If it's not Boeing, I'm not going", said very much in recent times - particularly after the last two 737MAX disasters.

That comment is still about with a single word removed, 'not', now....."if it's Boeing I'm not going"?Airbus, way of the future??

• Like 1

Boeings philosophy change has been around for almost 20 years but they were able to sack whistle blowers and keep the many issues under wraps even in the face of press reports and TV docos until the Max crashes. The problems are not just confined the Max either with the 777 & 787 found to have issues.

• Like 1

They have been a bit paranoid about removing the union power from the company for any years. It was even obvious in their Australian ventures. Subbing out NEW small recently formed entities with lower pay and cost structures make quality hard to preserve. They didn't want to see the signs and let it get ahead of their business plans which is solely focussed on returns to shareholders and their OWN (linked) remuneration. rates , with inadequate attention to the risks. ALL OK it you can get away with it .What is the REAL cost to the company NOW.? .Nev.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Just raising an older thread again - I see where the FAA has finally approved the return to service of the Boeing 737MAX.

However, every other country is still to review the FAA decision, and the steps Boeing has taken to satisfy everyone that the aircraft is finally safe to operate again.

This process is a far cry from the days when every country outside the U.S., basically rubber-stamped FAA decisions. It shows that virtually every other country in the world lost faith in the FAA, as well as Boeing.

The reported cost to Boeing is being put at US$20B. I reckon that figure is possibly understated, because the long-term cost to Boeing of its cavalier and purely profit-driven decisions, is immeasurable.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-19/us-lifts-boeing-737-max-flight-ban-after-crash-probes/12898504

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1