Best mounting techniques for video cameras in the A22LS

Guest SrPilot

Guest SrPilot

Okay, I have two video cams and a new A22LS. I have watched videos from A22 cockpits made in flights all around the world. I can see that some cameras are mounted on the down brace just forward of the passenger's door. Those mountings lose coverage of the panel though. Other mounts are somewhere on the wing, probably around the strut attach point. The ones I am particularly curious about are those that mount the camera just over or near the pilot's right shoulder resulting in a decent image of the panel and a good view out the windshield. There are many videos from Australia but I haven't determined where and how some of the cameras making those videos are mounted.

Naturally, because I have a new A22LS, I am a bit airplane specific. Any suggestions, descriptions of mounting accessories, and particularly photos of mountings for the A22 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Joe

Yep - I have used two GoPro's, one mounted on the passenger side windshield strut looking forward and down and the other high on the left aileron control rod just over the pilots right shoulder and looking at the cockpit, panel and out over the nose. I admit I was wary about mounting a camera on a control rod but as long as one checks full and free movement it is fine. Actually it provides an interesting perspective as when you roll into a turn the camera position kind of co0ordinates so the camera view is maintained !

A video with the two cameras set up as above can be seen here:

Guest SrPilot

u

Yep - I have used two GoPro's . . . A video with the two cameras set up as above can be seen here: . . .

Well, that was therapeutic but which one was you - one of the two young guys in the red A22 or one of the two blondes in the video that appears in the spread after the initial video concludes? Inquiring minds want to know! 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

And with music no less. It's amazing how so many people know how to do so much beyond my feeble abilities. I just hum when watching one of my videos (usually the theme song from Top Gun, Where Eagles Dare, or some such . . . .

Top Gun -

Okay, Okay, . . . I know. Zulu isn't an aviation film, but you must admit it's one great movie. Besides, bullets and spears are flying so broadly speaking it's about flight (and honor).

Thanks BF. I'm a learning. I'll be testing a few mount points over the coming days. We have 6 days of rain predicted so it's "hangar time" when it's not 100% productivity at the job place. 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

I agree with BoxFat - you can mount a GoPro or similar on one of the vertical aileron tubes using GoPro handlebar clamp or velcro straps. As he says, make sure the controls are completely full and free and that the camera will not slide up or down the tube, or rotate in flight. Because of the extreme wide angle of these cameras, the up/down movement of the tube is hardly noticeable. Another place you can mount is on the horizontal tube connecting the mainspars inside the cabin.

Guest SrPilot
I agree with BoxFat - you can mount a GoPro or similar on one of the vertical aileron tubes using GoPro handlebar clamp or velcro straps. As he says, make sure the controls are completely full and free and that the camera will not slide up or down the tube, or rotate in flight. Because of the extreme wide angle of these cameras, the up/down movement of the tube is hardly noticeable. Another place you can mount is on the horizontal tube connecting the mainspars inside the cabin.

Thanks SW (and BF). I've laid my stuff out and cannot find some of the stuff I ordered from nFlight Team mentioned by f_t (thanks f_t for the reminder). I'll dig through my "incoming" box and find those goodies. I ordered them just after I bought the A22LS. I have my two cams (a GoPro and a Sony) which I've had for some time. Now trying to finalize the "kits" for installing them in the A22LS. Your responses are appreciated.