Bing Carb and mechanical fuel pump and their rubber bits.

Bruce Tuncks

My latest worry is about if these things should be overhauled. Has anybody done this ?

There are various directives about rubber bits having lives of 2 to 5 years. On a sustainer engined glider I once serviced, all the hoses had to be replaced at 2 years, even though they all looked new to me. I guess that the writers of the directive assume that the worst-kept glider ( tied down outside in the sun ) determines what the rest have to do.

In the meantime, although there has been the odd AD or two, overhauling the carb and fuel pump are not in the maintenance schedules that I have noticed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Bruce,

I'm a newcomer to Jabs, but have a lot of time on Rotax 912 which uses same carbs

I tend to view Hoses as an 'on condition' component carb overhaul for the bings If I havn't touched them in 5 years then I will take apart and replace anything needed )Diaphragms I change regardless of how they look).

Carb Socket I will also change if it has lasted 5 years (in my experience some can go bad much sooner)

I use only Ethanol free fuel, if using fuel with Ethanol id be looking very regularly at my hoses and carb floats

Jabiru Fuel pump is a bit of an unknown to me right now

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have just asked the spare parts guys at Jabiru about a fuel pump kit. The manual says " the fuel pump is replaced as a complete unit" so it may be that this is going to be expensive. Has anybody done this job? What should be a fuel pump life anyway?