Boorabee

AussieB1rd

Just wanted to know if anyone has any relevant information on the Boorabee Ultralight, have you flow one, flight handling characteristics, nasty's or nicety's, all pro's and con's, maybe know where there is one.

604866007_BoorabeeWOT01-04-15DAJean210(4)clean.jpg.c35734364c0e5465515de5f0d988502f.jpg

Cheers

AB

• Like 2

Just wanted to know if anyone has any relevant information on the Boorabee Ultralight, have you flow one, flight handling characteristics, nasty's or nicety's, all pro's and con's, maybe know where there is one.[ATTACH=full]43897[/ATTACH]

Cheers

AB

Certainly a nice looking plane (well that one is anyway!)

Layout looks very similar to the Drifter to my untutored eye.

• Like 1

From what I know the original was made using the rear fuselage of a Drifter with new wings and cockpit built for two. then there was another copy of this and think 4 were made possibly 2 still flying Mk1 Shuttle single place where as the Boorabee was a 2 place.

I designed and built that aircraft in 1992, 24 years ago. The Mk1 Boorabees flew with a Rotax 503, that paticular aircraft has had at least 3 different engines and the last time I saw it had an HKS engine.

That Boorabee has flown thousands of hours. I cannot comment on the condition of that particular Aircraft because I havn't seen it in 20 years.

Boorabees are extremely docile aircraft with few if any vices. The Mk1s are really powered gliders without air brakes (better than 12:1 glide) they tend to float so it requires a special technique to spot land them.

One of the owners of that Boorabee told me at Narromine that he had flown dozens of different types of aircraft and that the Boorabee was the most pleasurable.

• Like 5

There is one at Rodds Bay just outside Gladstone Qld. It is fitted with a Jab 2.2.

When I saw it at Old Station fly in a few weeks ago it was for sale.

• Agree 1

Rotax618 how many of these did you build over time, how many where build altogether if built by others, and what is the significance of the dimples in the pod, and then one must ask where did all the molds go for this pod.

Looking at the two, Boorabee and Shutle they could be the same if not for those distinctive dimples in the pod so how different were the two craft from one another, you say the shutle is more a glider yet wing profile looks identical.

There were nine Boorabees built in total. I gave the fuselage plug to Dave Donohoe who modified it for a rectangular boom tube. Dave's Shuttle shared the same wing but the boom, tail, undercarriage and controls were vastly different. I built two Mk1 Boorabees then made new molds and simplified the design for the Mk2.

I loand the molds to persons I trusted, and gave them the CAD plans at no cost.

No more Boorabees were built because it required a great deal of effort on my behalf for builder assistance and it became very difficult to get the 5" boom tube and necessary drawn tubing to build the wing. I still have the molds.

• Like 1

Nobody's perfect. Lovely plane . Saw one at Narromine, more years ago than I want to think about. I don't like a Jabiru as a pusher installation. Always thought they are a neat design of sort of Sapphire/ Drifter Genes. . Both of which I like. Nev

• Agree 1

There were nine Boorabees built in total. I gave the fuselage plug to Dave Donohoe who modified it for a rectangular boom tube. Dave's Shuttle shared the same wing but the boom, tail, undercarriage and controls were vastly different. I built two Mk1 Boorabees then made new molds and simplified the design for the Mk2.I loand the molds to persons I trusted, and gave them the CAD plans at no cost.

No more Boorabees were built because it required a great deal of effort on my behalf for builder assistance and it became very difficult to get the 5" boom tube and necessary drawn tubing to build the wing. I still have the molds.

Very interesting, thanks for posting the aircraft's history and pics.

• Agree 2

The one seen by Mick at Old Station is resident at Rods Bay. A very nice aeroplane built by the owner who is a bit of a perfectionist. Has a Jab 2.2 with a timber prop, made of a special type of ply with the laminates running mainly in the direction of tension.

I know the owner is wanting to sell, but he seems a bit reluctant to get active in advertising it. I just phoned him up and the asking price is $20000. He said he was happy for me to post his phone number here so if you are interested. Talk to Ken on 0749781172.

• Like 1

Boorabee, mark 2

no 7 in the series

150 hours

Jabaru powered 2.2

Always hangared

$20,000

Extras:

Prop copying machine

Special tools, for fabric and lots of tools for maintenance.

Contact Ken

07 49781172 or [email protected]

MVC-005F.JPG.ee2c932a54fc87521be31e8688e329f3.JPG

MVC-006F.JPG.623d1983297f06529724e82ab3ba0e5c.JPG

Boorabee.jpg.aa6fdf101154e0adba33a8889a86ee67.jpg

MVC-003F.JPG.db8b4dcee890a64abd489482b8cdf258.JPG

MVC-008F.JPG.59086aae9a579b6b8287e4252de27827.JPG

The lime green and black is a striking colour scheme

my computer must be stuffed again...........it shows up as turquoise on white !! 034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif

Nice looker all the same.

• Haha 1