Video: The Scout at Cranbrook..mpg

winsor68

• The Skycraft Scout is thought to be the world's first commercial ultralight aircraft. Created by Ron Wheeler, the Mk 1 was sold with an engine derived from Victa Lawnmowers. Later versions adopted the Fuji Robin engine. Hundreds of lightweight Australians in the 1970's learned to fly with this simple aircraft and it's very brief instructional handbook.

Added from Birdmantell007's Youtube Channel by Winsor68.

Guest ozzie

When was this flown? top speed is about 35mph or so. there was no ASI fitted to Scouts. Nice flight. see they ain't so scary to fly. just heap of fun

• 1 month later...

I know the designer (Garreth Kimberly) pretty well, he gave me the last set of plans he had for it a couple of years ago. Is this one fitted with flaps? Designed around 1977. Good to see one on the register. When was this one completed? Just for general info. Garreth was one of the founding members of the MAFA. He also wrote several books on 'Minimum Aircraft' and kept the world abreast of developments of Minimum Aircraft in Australia with his numourus articles in many overseas magazines long before the internet was around. His original Skyrider is on display at the Transport section of the Power House Museum at Seven Hills in Sydney.

Interesting Ozzie, sounds like you will come in handy.

Nil flaps on this one. Couldn't tell you the speeds as it hasn't any ASI yet, might fit one sometime If I buy it.

What do you think, worth purchasing? Price is good in my opinion.

Kawasaki 2 cylinder, apparently they run them in snow mobiles. Three blade Ivo prop, secondlite (or whatever you call it) covering on the wings. Heel brakes.

Flies well I reckon.

That looks like a load of fun Tomo. Is the covering perhaps ceconite? Must say I thought that sort of vintage generally had dacron covers, a la Drifter.

By the way, on a similar subject, does anyone know what the two Scouts were like that were recently for sale down south? One had floats if I'm not mistaken. Very sad looking Winton Grasshopper for sale on ebay at the moment:crying:, seems the old classics are out there, they just have to be dug out of sheds and chook pens across the land.