Brumby 600 low wing

Tackleberry

Hi Tackleberry,

Firstly welcome aboard the forum. My wife and I are the proud owners of Brumby 7864 the low wing model with a Rotax 912s engine. I have owned G.A. and LSA's and true ultralights in the past and we really love the Brumby. It handles very well and due to the pushrod controls the aeroplane is so light to handle. The visibility is excellent and it has a good turn of speed - 110 knots in the cruise and the climb rate is pretty good as well even with 2 POB. I guess one of the most important considerations for us was how strongly the Brumby was built. We met Paul at the factory in Cowra a couple of years ago and saw them being built. We had a chance to see the main spar section and we compared it to another popular LSA spar that was there and the Brumby was visibly more solid. The riveting plus generally how the Brumby was put together gave us a sense that this was an aircraft that would last and last. It just feels more solid when you fly it.

The Brumby guys could easily have skimped on the fit out but it was so nice to fly with a 4 point harness rather than just a lap sash belt. Also they go to the trouble of fitting carby heat and cabin heat, both of which were quite expensive optional extras on some other LSA's. I guess the standard fitment of the "extras" they supply comes from Phil and Paul's previous time in the general aviation field in Bankstown. When we were looking for a new aircraft we seriously considered buying another G.A. as our objective was to do some serious cross country flying, but when we saw the Brumby and weighed up the capital cost as well as the running and maintenance costs we recon the Brumby was the best option for us. Besides after Paul had taken my wife Liz for a flight, she had fallen in love with it already. I wrote an article on my G.A. / LSA deliberations for the RAAus magazine. I think Brumby have a copy of that article on their website. I hope this helps. Ross

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Ross

I read the article with great intrest. I used to fly a Texan but since then only have access to a Jabiru. Keeps you flying but not the same. I think its time to cash in the frequent flyers and go and see where these are built. Many thanks.

cheers Mike

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your input. And you're right, it's really worthwhile visiting the Brumby factory as you can see how stongly these aeroplanes are built. Build strength was a really important issue for me as when you are up-stairs getting tossed around in serious turbulence it's nice to know you're in a strong aeroplane. I was caught in some unreal turbulence at Bindook en-route to Mascot in a Piper twin one time and you wonder how strongly the aeroplane must have been built in order not to break-up mid air. Nature can be mercieless sometimes. I haven't yet had a try flying the new high wing but from what I've seen, I think the guys at Brumby are on a serious winner with that one. Thanks again Mike. Bye, Ross

• 3 years later...

I have flown two different 600 Brumbies and can say these aircraft feel very much like similar GA planes I have flown. Seem strong and certainly fly very nicely. My only take is that the inside finish could be better, switches are pretty ordinary , and the full glass rear part of the canopy makes for warm flying in summer. Also think the 912 100 hp rotax is a little low on the power side for this aircraft. I'd like one with a Jab Motor if I could only find one.

• Like 1

IBails,

We own 19-5364 which can be seen in the one of the promotional video at the Brumby site, this aircraft has been up dated with the bigger tail and late model cowlings and is currently at Brumby in Cowra.

It is fitted with the 3300 Jab and is potentially for sale due to knee issues making it near impossible for my wife ( also a pilot ) to get in and out of the aircraft, get in touch if you are interested initially thru this site.

Tony

IBails,

I just checked the Brumby site and our video has been moved , The Owen Zupp test flight article on the Brumby site is our aircraft.

Tony

If you have some photos e-mail me [email protected] . I have a friend who will be at Brumby Cowra today . He is taking his 610 back for first service I think. Any other info send me an e-mail if possible and we can have an off line discussion.

That is our aircraft in the link above and your friend is more than welcome to talk to Paul or Phil about our aircraft, we are about to jump on a flight to Brisbane so will be out of touch a bit for the next couple of days

Happy to chat on email at [email protected] but will have limited access.

Regards Tony.