Fisher v Drifter

seb7701

Can anyone shed any light on the differences between good 'ol drifters such as the wire braced 503's and 582's when compared to Wayne FISHER's snazzy versions such as the Fisher Mk1's etc?

I haven't heard much, but what I have heard would suggest that they are far superior if category 19 registration isn't an issue?

Can anyone comment, particularly re strength etc? Needless to say, the long pods look terrific and he seems to get better performance, even on a 503.

If I have to rate Drifters in a decending order for fun flying that would be

1. Wayne's Sport Drifter (ofcourse I am biased, I own one)

2. Fisher MK1 or Original Maxair Drifter with 503 Rotax

3. Wire braced 582 powered models

4. Certified Wire baraced models

5. and lastly strut braced models

I hav'nt included 912 in the list because I hav'nt flown one. if you are looking for engine reliability I suppose they might be the go.

Fisher Sport 503 W/B only weighs 155 kg (as opposed to 220kg for certified wire braced even heavier for struters) with a shorter wing span and symetrical airfoil and climbs like a rocket. Not bad for 32-35k new, probably the biggest banger for your buck for fun flying

Bugger me - that's a big weight difference. I would love to know where the weight gets shaved, although I do know that Wayne is big on power to weight.

Interesting comparison list - liked hearing your thoughts. Can you recall the main difference between the mk1 and an Austflight?

Sounds very much like a Fisher is the way to go, particularly as they often seem a little cheaper being 19 rego's.

Fisher Mk1 is pretty similar to the original Maxair Drifter from USA, really light and nimble on the controls. Austflight one's are highly beefed up versions for certification and most fly like pigs compared to lighter one's.

if you ring Wayne Fisher on 0428 817 426 he will happily answer all your drifter questions

Yep, wandered around Wayne's hangar in Jan when he showed me the Mk1 Sports in the RAA mag for sale at present. Beautiful machine which has prompted my curiosity with the whole Drifter v Fisher thing. I want one...

Yep, wandered around Wayne's hangar in Jan when he showed me the Mk1 Sports in the RAA mag for sale at present. Beautiful machine which has prompted my curiosity with the whole Drifter v Fisher thing. I want one...

you will have to find another one because I have already got the one you saw...;)

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi seb7701,

I have owned a Fisher Mk1 582...built new by Wayne,

a certified 582 Drifter completely rebuilt by W...

and a 912 Fisher MK 1 also built new by W....

The Fisher MK 1 582 was beautiful to fly...very responsive with fingertip control.

Strong thermals were a bit interesting however easily managable because of the instant control response....real fun flying.

I liked the certified Drifter too....it flew beautifully and seemed a little more stable in rough air. It is also built a little heavier in places than the Fisher MK1, however not where it counts. Fish takes weight out of his aircraft in areas unrelated to safety.

Looking at the two aircraft side by side, the extra weight in the Certified Drifter is discernible.

Now the Fisher MK1 912 is a whole new ballgame....very short take off, terrific climb rate, smooth to fly, 63 kts cruise, minimum engine maintanance compared to the 582 models...an ablosute gem.

It is a little heavier on the controls than the 582 powered Drifters, for odvious reasons. I had mine strenghtened with extra ribs, fuse and undercarriage reinforcment etc,etc. Does'nt make it fly any better but somehow feels more secure?!

The strut brace is OK but not quite as nice to land as the wire braced drifter....I think the wires act as an air brake or stabiliser coming into land resulting in less drift on roundout.

With the Fisher Mk 1 aircraft, a full screen can be fitted which is open at the sides yet completely protects the pilot from wind, noise and cold....Mods that are not allowed on the certified Drifters.

Training is not allowed in the Fisher MK 1 aircraft...however this is about the only drawback.

Hope this helps.

JL

Thanks JL - all info helps. Obviously I can only relate so far to certified WB and SB 582's and a quick jaunt in Wayne's 503 trainer, but the whispers I heard suggested that Mk1's were terrific.

Still waiting to hear where that weight gets shaved from though, although I'm not sure it's no where detrimental.

Lastly, I've heard about your super drifter- I don't think you could really get better than that combo....

Thanks for that.

• 1 year later...

Hey Guys, I have a Certified WB503, where is all the extra weight, that seems to be a big increase. A mate has a WB582 but not certified and its flys much nicer but I think thats mainly the engine. He said the tubes and alike are all really beefed up but that increase of 70kg is a darn lot.

I have a Fisher Mk 1 Rotax 912.

Weight 221kg. Cruise at 65kt at 4600rpm@13L/hr.

As it can excead VNE in level flight the aircraft jumps into the air. GA pilots watch waiting for the stall. Warwick is 1600m long and I can take off,reach circuit height (500ft)and do a touch and go on the length of the strip. Landing is a bit longer as even with closed throttle prop still produces a reasionable thrust and we all know how effective Drifter brakes are.

Short landings best achieved by switching off mags when you know you will make it. Personally do not recommend it unless rearly necessary as it rearly removes your options if the landing turns bad.

After touch down in cross winds very fast stick and rudder work is needed or direction of travel and wing level changes happen faster than you can think!

Great play aircraft.

• 1 year later...