pod fixing

Guest fly

Hi All,

A question if I may..............Thank you

A Thruster pod is fixed, by the rear bulkhead [500]and also by the roof panel via the windscreen, I assume

Is it also fixed by the two brackets attached underneath the two central floor rails ?

do they rest against pod floor or bolt through the pod.?

Are there any other fixing points with the alloy tubing that goes through the pod

e.g. front A frame or engine support struts?

Any suggestions when fitting a pod as far as proctective clear plastic tubing etc over alloy tubing as mentioned.

Thank you........ fly

Guest TOSGcentral

POD INFO.

There are four types of two seater pod – Gemini, TST, T300/T500 & the new Swift pod. They all attach in the same way and there is not a lot holding them on.

The differences in the pods are primarily progressive redesign of the pod top edges and lnstrument panel area for access and strength reasons. The T300/T500 and Swift pods have lower rear bulkhead panels to further brace and enclose the pod.

The pod shape is otherwise exactly the same for all of them. The Swift pod is also exactly the standard shape (the new mould being taken from a 1988 TST E) but is fluted on top of the nose for added stiffness and has the side flares around the undercarriage carry beam. None of these affect fixing the pod to the aircraft,

As Fly correctly says the pod is attached at several points. – the T300/T500 pod is held via connections to the rear bulkhead panel. I cannot remember how the back of the Gemini and TST pod are fixed as it is some time since I had a pod off one of them, but the rear will be stabilized at the end of the pod.

The principal connection point is common to all of the pods. To the sides of the instrument panel there are glass fibre lugs or mouldings that are clamped to the cockpit front A frame via hose clamps.

You have to be very careful with these as they also not just keep the pod in place but keep it in the correct place. The guide to this position is the two upper holes in the pod that allow the engine support strut tubes to transit the pod body. The edges of these holes MUST be clear of the struts or the pod will begin sawing through the struts!

It should be mandatory at every 50 hour inspection to check the hose clamps have not slipped and are tight, plus that there is no contact between the pod and the engine support struts.

Note: These pod holes are usually protected by rubber grommets so careful inspection is required to ensure the pod has not cut through the grommet and into the tube with the grommet itself preventing you from seeing this.

Note also that the pod is not connected to the undercarriage main carry beam which should pass through the pod with clearance all around it. If the pod is in contact with the beam then you will probably get cracking in the pod shell from landing and taxiing shocks.

The fully enclosed cockpits (eg T500 style) are the most well fixed of the pods with their roof panels being riveted to the boom undersurface, the rear bulkhead being bolted to lugs at the top and usually with some rivets further down.

A Handy Tip for T500/TST E pods. If you have the pod off then take the time to convert the five holes in the rear lower bulkhead panel into slots extending downwards. The bulkhead is strong enough to take this and still be adequately fixed to the pod, but this will then allow you to lift the bulkhead entirely off the aircraft if you have to in the future, without dismantling the entire floor structure – which is a helluva procedure!

Fly mentions the small stainless steel underfloor struts. These have nothing to do with the pod, do not connect to it and are there to carry weight on the otherwise fully cantilevered rudder pedal assembly. They fit between the front of the undercarriage main carry beam and extend forwards and upwards to the under side of the two inner cockpit floor rails that they are then bolted to.

Aye

Tony

Thanks Tony for reply , appreciated,

I have slotted the rear lower bulkhead, and understand how the pod basically floats somewhat.

also I now see how the two central support struts fit ..................Fly