Calling all Drifter Drivers

M61A1

Has anyone here given any though to setting up a something similar to TOSG (Thruster Operators Support Group)?

Considering that the one person supporting Drifter is gone and the ones with the type cert aren't offering any support, it may be worth our while, but I don't know where to start.

• Like 3

Yeh I was thinking the same thing looking at the TOSG site... I love the enthusiasm with that, admirable and desirable. The facilities are already available AND the easiest solution is to use this great resource here: via this user group. From experience... maintaining a web site takes a whole lot of work. Just keep these threads alive use the facilities available through here with appropriate and defined placement as required.... isn't that what this site is really about?

• Like 1

Count me in, but also agree with Tex, in that there's no need to split the resources, when so much needed knowledge is overlapping. Count me in nonetheless, as there are too many of these legendary aircraft around to ignore the future needs of us all.

I am already sniffing around for odds and ends and at the same time trying to memorise every last drifter I know of, no matter how far away it might be hidden, in case someone needs it for any parts etc.

Would love to get some official word from the Drifter Factory, but in lieu, at least know of some of those who were involved in it, as well as some other very experienced drifter resources around my patch, as do the rest of you, no doubt.

I say we use this forum, but would perhaps like to see some enhancement to our contacts for available drifter resources if possible.

• Like 1

Being an aircraft sheet metal person, I would love to get hold of some engineering drawings for the drifter, the Dalby people said they would have them, but stored deep in a container, and weren't interested in digging them out. Once we have some specs, sourcing bits will become easier.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Being an aircraft sheet metal person, I would love to get hold of some engineering drawings for the drifter, the Dalby people said they would have them, but stored deep in a container, and weren't interested in digging them out. Once we have some specs, sourcing bits will become easier.

What about the Wayne Fishers designs, did he get them on paper - he had just gotten some sort of approval for one of his latest designs I understand...

IMHO the flagship really is his 912 short winged WB version. It simply has everything you (well me at least) could want want in a Drifter. Ticks all the boxes.

• Like 1

What about the Wayne Fishers designs, did he get them on paper - he had just gotten some sort of approval for one of his latest designs I understand...IMHO the flagship really is his 912 short winged WB version. It simply has everything you (well me at least) could want want in a Drifter. Ticks all the boxes.

As far as I know, some of his stuff was stored on discs, what sort of disc, I don't know. He had a cad drawing for one of the local engineering shops to cut out pans using a CNC router. I was down there this morning, not much remains, I don't know who has what.

Proper drawings and specifications, will allow parts to be made for certified drifters, 19 reg drifters are not in the same boat really, there are more options for them. Wayne copied a drawing for me once, to show dimensions and materials for the rudder post, so there must be some stuff around.

• Like 2

Guest Maj Millard

Great idea , I don't expect the Drifter to ever disappear, just too good a flying machine, so we may as well start now. Wayne just took so much expertise and knowledge with him sadly..Hopefully there will be some discs around somewhere full of good stuff....Wayne would have had some sort of computer, maybe the daughters may know of it's whereabouts ?..............Maj............014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

I have dvd's for fitting new sails, supplied by Wayne, after purchasing my new sails, any ideas about what would be the best way to upload them? I not keen on sticking them on youtube.

• Agree 1

That sounds like a grand plan.

On a similar-ish note, I am interested to hear from drifter drivers, what commonly needed spare parts elude them and would be handy to have back in production etc. i know I peronsally have a wish list for the factory if they would even just cough up some spares....

Cheers and a happy new year to you, have another bourbon for me! The small pic shows the bolt in place, it acts as the pivot for the brake arm. The larger pic is after I went a bit overboard with the tightening. Apparrently because both ends have teeth that grip together it does not need to be tightened very much?image.jpg.64948bed6ca208f8ecec615642899a07.jpg

mmmmmmmm1.JPG.01458ec2b61fc7eeabbd2113eee7709c.JPG

Right now I want the RH down tube that makes up the A frame behind the pilot seat and the bolt with teeth that holds on the brake arm.....

Fishers daughters have box of brake parts, and also new aluminium tube in drifter sizes. The front A frame tube is double walled. If you measure the outside diameter and the wall thickness in inches, then have a look in the classifieds, the girls have one there listing the sizes they have.

Just checked dimensions, the inner one is 1.0 o/d x 0.058 wall the outer is 1.125 o/d x 0.058 wall.

The girls have these in stock, in 12 ft lengths, you could make 2 for just over $100.00

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/aluminium-round-tube-for-sale.69123/