Cheap fares and Christchurch

Guest Fred Bear

Guest Fred Bear

Hello all. A little off topic but just FYI Jetstar has some quite good deals on at the moment on domestic and international fares (no I do not work for them) 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Emma and I got Sydney to Christchurch return for $374 all up. That's not each, that's for the two of us. Was quite happy with that!!! What I am wondering is do any of you have any tips, ie, things to see and do while there? We are only there 3 nights. Any airfields around close by that would be worth a visit? If any of you have any 'contacts' please let me know or put us in touch with each other. This forum is great for 'uniting' people :big_grin: Thanks in advance for any information. Now go and look at those fares. I think it will be a while before they do something like this again.

Guest pelorus32

G'day Darren,

Make contact with Bruce Drake and go and see the airfield at Rangiora - apparently a bit of a hub for lighties etc. Bruce is the agent for the Dynamic range - some of the older RAAus Mags will have a contact for him.

Also you might think about - non aviation - going up to the Mt Cook area by air or bus or across Arthur's Pass by train.

Best of luck,

Mike

PS take your winter woollies.

Try this on if weather permits. Mt Cook airlines 2kms from Mt Cook village. Glacier landing was amazing highlight of our trip 3 weeks ago.

Regards Peteglacier.jpg Hope that attachment worked!

glacier.jpg.abd2f52c64c69a838d060721e83a37d6.jpg

Guest Baphomet

In Christchurch itself, the International Antarctic centre is worth a visit. Go into the -8 deg room during the 'ice storm' wind chill equiv of about -20

Guest Fred Bear
In Christchurch itself, the International Antarctic centre is worth a visit. Go into the -8 deg room during the 'ice storm' wind chill equiv of about -20

Good stuff! Yes, I read about that somewhere. Sounds interesting and worth a visit.

I am the person who rings you up at 0300 and say sorry but you aricraft has gone U/S. and there will be a delay.

And we sort out complaints from pax's

Paul

Guest Fred Bear
I am the person who rings you up at 0300 and say sorry but you aricraft has gone U/S. and there will be a delay.And we sort out complaints from pax's

Paul

Well let's hope that does not happen. I am usually one of those pax that gets real cranky when that happens 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Well if its you mate i will leave a quick message then hang up. and when you ring back fired up you will end up talking to one of my colleges.

Paul:laugh:

Darren,

The Airforce Museum at Wigram (Christchurch suburb, not far from the airport) is a good visit. Nice cafe for Emma to sit in reading books while your playing aeroplanes. The do free tours through their workshop area too, which is interesting.

Once you've finished with the museum (allow at least half a day) its time for some notplanes. Take Emma down to a place called Akaroa. It's about an hour and a bit drive from Christchurch. Absolutely beautiful place. Do a harbour tour (or swim with the dolphins), have a nice feed, then go to the pictures. Great little theatre holds about 30 people max, in big armchair style seats, and the owners will supply bottles of wine, food and expresso coffee for you to take into the movie.

Then back to the motel/B&B where I'm sure you'll find it's a lucky place.;)

Cheers,

Bruce

Guest pelorus32
Darren,The Airforce Museum at Wigram (Christchurch suburb, not far from the airport) is a good visit. Nice cafe for Emma to sit in reading books while your playing aeroplanes. The do free tours through their workshop area too, which is interesting.

[snip]

Cheers,

Bruce

Darren,

If you go to Wigram then say hello to the place for me. It was the site of my "first" first solo 30 years ago. In a Blanik. I still remember it very well.

Regards

Mike