Colin Hales KR2 UK to USA flight

Chird65

I just read that Colin Hales made the flight in a KR2 from the UK to USA and made the last day of Adventure. This is the same guy who flew UK to Australia. It was not an uneventful trip but was an adventure none the less.

It would have been better to see a good report but he had technical issues getting on line.

He has a Facebook page: KRii Worldtour

and an incomplete blog; http://kr2worldtour.blogspot.com.au/

I spoke with him on the day he arrived at Oshkosh. Interesting tales.

Some scary too. Most alarming one was he had to pay $500 to put in a flight plan in Greenland and to have SAR time for canada established. Then flew for hours over freezing ocean to arrive in Canada and have them not know he was coming and they had no SAR time on him. Had he gone down anywhere that would have been it. No one would have come looking for him.

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

What a sad ending to such a great plane and attempt for a trip around the world. Colin will always be a top notch pilot and if he want's he can finish the trip in my Taylor-mono plane. Hope you heal up fast Colin. Don

• Agree 1

From his blog:-

Weʼre raising funds to help pay for Colin’s medical expenses in Japan

Update 14th July

You will have heard about the tragic fate of Colin’s aircraft, Itzy. Very sadly for Colin Itzy suffered engine failure and he had to make a forced landing on a golf course in Aioi, Hyogo Prefecture, Japan.

Colin was extremely fortunate to walk away from the accident, but has since discovered he has broken his back in three places. He was air-lifted from the scene and is now in the emergency ward of the hospital. He is not allowed to move from the bed as there is a risk that he could damage his spinal nerve, until he has surgery.

He faces a very large medical bill, and at first was refusing treatment as he doesn’t have the money. His friends and family have made sure surgery will go ahead in Japan. There is no price for a life.

The bill will likely be around $30,000, so I am hoping that between us we can raise a little something to help his family with this expense.

I know many of you will have been lucky enough to have met Colin during his round the world trip. He rarely asks for help and is fiercely independent and proud. I know many have wanted to help him before now with the journey and he never accepts, but I think this time he is in need of the help of all those wonderful friends he has made around the world.

Click here to donate and support Colin: Help raise £20000 to Help pay for Colin's medical expenses in Japan

Update

Wow! We have smashed the Just Giving target in less than a day, we are so eternally grateful to everyone's kind words and donations. Let's keep going!

I have just spoken to Colin (he wasn't too angry with me) and he has said that any extra raised that he doesn't need will go to charity. This is very typical of Colin, always thinking of others. He will also thank each and every one of you when he is recovered.

He is being well looked after, but is in a lot of pain and understandably is feeling very emotional. He has one cracked vertebrae, one damaged and one lumbar vertebrae split in two. He will be having surgery next week, but in the meantime he is in a body cast and is in the emergency ward, unable to move very much.

Thanks, Zanna McKail

This accident was just after waiting 7 months for approvals for forward flight through Japan and Asia. Perhaps the engine was sitting for too long? Also had atrocious weather while waiting - massive rain.