CPL and Traineeship

Currently at 70 odd hours, approx 40 command.

https://qantas.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/Qantas_Careers/job/Mascot-Sydney/QantasLink---Trainee-First-Officer-Level-2_30137

What are the odds of buying a plane, pumping out hours, and being successful? I assume there are hundreds of more qualified pilots applying and waiting? I've done navigation so a trip around Australia would be very challenging, however beneficial perhaps to improving skills, confidence, and look good on the resume? Rather than doing boring hours in the air in thr locsl area trying to rack up numbers.

From what I know they all count hour wise, so can do the theory exams even though all hours are rec. Could be 'sneaky' and get a Jab, register it VH, and then it's all GA hours if that looks better. Instrument/night flying would again be very challenging, however beneficial.

you can put up to 100 hours in an RAA registered Jab, even 19- registered, towards your CPL. (Assuming non-integrated course)

My daughter is on the CPL job treadmill, and qualified for her CPL about 6 months ago. She had lots of RAA jab hours.

https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-page/getting-your-commercial-pilot-licence

From what I was told by CASA, back in 2013, an RAA registered aircraft does NOT count as a "registered or recognised aeroplane", since it does not appear on Australia's register of registered aircraft.

So, you need to be careful on assuming 190 hours in an RAA aircraft. There is also a requirement to spend time in a "complex" aircraft (Minimum speed, retractable gear, constant speed prop).

And I think you will find most, if not all GA CPL instructors will require a whole swag of time in actual GA aircraft (172, 182, 210, Comanche, etc)

Things have changed (a bit) since 2013, but we were told that the relevant clause here, allowing up to 100 hours in RAA aircraft, is "Pilot in Command Flight Time", which doesn't specify that it needs to be a particular aircraft type.

blob.thumb.png.dc24aae4c56923b2bdeb908a63e6be07.png

I think you'll find that it is the quality, not the quantity, of hours in your logbook.

Stooging around in an RAAus aircraft, or for that matter, an el cheapo GA type, and accumulating hours, is not going to impress any prospective employer. Sounds smart, but you don't learn real commercial flying discipline this way.

You need your hours on long distance navigation exercises where you have really had to push your limits. These need to be recorded in your flight plans via NAIPS, and well documented in your pilot logbook.  A CPL needs to be very familiar with CTR/CTA procedures and you need a lot more of this than the minimums the schools may tell you. As well, it really does help if your IFR work is seriously good. To achieve this, you need a safety pilot/instructor, plus good instrumentation and avionics. NVFR may not be required, but I think its' an essential. If possible, try to use a retractable + CSU type - the 'heavier' the better in fact. (210 comes to mind, because it enhances your employment prospects post CPL.)

Good luck with your career,

Sailplane hours count towards CPL, and are fun & very cheap to accumulate. Also adds a level of skill that those afraid to turn the noise off never appreciate. 

What impresses the prospective employer is what counts. Get into a 210 and get some  others to share  your costs and do what Poteroo says.. What they really want is  pressurized?   multi engine turbines and such  with IFR and night flying. Most take the first job that is available, (where your life is not too threatened).  Nev