CTA advice

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advice on some radio procedures for CTA. If I needed to transit Oakey airspace (RA2) from Nanango to Toowoomba would the call be something like this, 'Oakey Delivery, Cessna 172 CFG, overhead Nanango 3800 climbing 4500, for Toowoomba, request clearance?' Or is there a better way to say it because of the "for" in there after giving my height?

Also for Class C airspace, is it pretty straight forward in the sense I just get onto BN Cen, get a code and tell them where I am going and they will either pass me onto approach or  TWR? Im under the impression that if i am going in under the steps I'll be talking to TWR and if through the steps it will be APP?

Cheers,

Kyle.

You usually need to get the ATIS as well. 

The actual word order while stated in the AIP is usually not going to be held against you if it’s a bit wrong. 

So you’d need the atis first ( I haven’t flown through that airspace in years so cut me off here if There isn’t an ATIS but I’d be surprised if there wasn’t. ). Say the information is information Charlie. 

You’d say all as you’ve said it there ( or leave out the 172 bit. “Cessna CFG” is enough ) then add “ one POB with Charlie” in there somewhere. 

The order is usually CLR DEL - APP - TWR  regardless of steps or altitude. And the GRD or Surface Movement Control if you land. If you are transitting  and staying well away from the airport you might not get passed to TWR  at all. Often they’ll only get involved if you are flying in the cutcuitvarea or landing. 

If you get onto BBN centre early then it’s really easy. They’ll tell you who to talk to and what frequency. And they’ll have forewarned them you’re coming and they’ll usually give you a discrete code right from the start. Otherwise if you want to call up Oakey itself ( or any controller  in any other place ) you usually start with CLR Delivery (if there is one) who then tell you a code and clear you and when to call APP, who hand you off to TWR, who hand you back to APP, who say goodbye and tell you to go back to code 1200 as you leave. Some places have slight variations -like Townsville ( another military control area) often combine two of these entities BUT they tell you clearly on the ATIS whose manned and whose combined and who you call first. 

I often call up BBN centre right from the start or early at least and tell them who you are and where you are going. I’m often also traversing through sky diving places so I also ask about meat bombers!  Most times you get coded straight away and helped out the whole way then.

On occasion I have got back a sort of surly response “call Tvlle clearance delivery on 126.8 (or whatever it is) by 36 miles Townsville!”  

As if to say “bugger off and don’t bother me “ but if they do then fine revert to plan B. No big deal. Usually they are more helpful then that though. 

If you are going into CTA, submit a flight plan, not difficult, and you are expected and in my experience works perfectly.

I accept if you are VFR it is not required but with a submitted plan it often saves time and the reply from CLR delivery “stand-by remain outside CTA” whilst the controller tries to fit you in with other traffic and you are already assigned a SSR code with a plan  otherwise they have manually enter your details and issue a discrete code.  In short just makes life easier for yourself and the controller.

• Informative 1

It can also he help to establish comms (“Brisbane Centre, Cessna ABC”) and waiting for a direct response prior to rattling off your details. This’ll give them a chance to be ready, rather than asking you to “say again”.

You can always ask for VFR Flight Following. It’s only available where there’s RADAR coverage, and subject to ATC workload, but can make transits much easier than sneaking up on them and knocking on the door. 

• Like 1