Danger and Restricted Areas

How can we tell when the Danger and Restricted areas on the WAC are actually live?

Is the only way to ask the area frequency controller as we approach the area?

Notam is only relative to particular airfields but not area hazards.

Can anyone please shed some light on our dimness?

If your still training, I understand; but if you hold a certificate, how was this not covered during your training?

OzRWYs (or any EFB) is only good if it has a live internet connection. Plenty of PRDs are activated via NOTAM and can be activated with little or no notice. So although the EFB may indicate they’re not active prior to flight, by the time you get there they very well could be.

The last line of defence is as you rightly pointed out, ask ATC. They’ll never bark at you for asking. But you will definitely hear about it if you fly through an active PRD.

• Like 3

if you are in uncontrolled airspace call centre on the frequency for that area & ask for the status for the restricted area. If you can't remember the number just quote the location. For example the Evans Head bombing range has 3 restricted area numbers. so the simple options is to say "Brisbane Centre, Jabiru 1234, Request status of Evans Head Restricted areas" They will just respond "Jabiru 1234 Evans Head restricted areas not active" (unless they are & you will have to go somewhere else).

If your still training, I understand; but if you hold a certificate, how was this not covered during your training?

OzRWYs (or any EFB) is only good if it has a live internet connection. Plenty of PRDs are activated via NOTAM and can be activated with little or no notice. So although the EFB may indicate they’re not active prior to flight, by the time you get there they very well could be.

The last line of defence is as you rightly pointed out, ask ATC. They’ll never bark at you for asking. But you will definitely hear about it if you fly through an active PRD.

It all goes very quiet every time I raise this; I suspect P&O, Nav, W&B and Met are not taught as part of the Nav endorsement, but some instructors refer people to Bob Tait type books, all different.

A colleague of mine found the answer. If you choose a restricted area on OzRunways, you can hold your finger on the area in question and a short list of the local hazards appears and indicates the status of the particular restriction, red being the active indicator.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and I hope that this helps.

A colleague of mine found the answer. If you choose a restricted area on OzRunways, you can hold your finger on the area in question and a short list of the local hazards appears and indicates the status of the particular restriction, red being the active indicator.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and I hope that this helps.

That’s correct,

but remember you can commence a flight and the area is not active so it will not show red until it becomes active.

I fly out of an area which is close to a restricted military zone which is active mostly Monday - Friday.

You must monitor the area you are flying to and through for the entire journey. The best way I have found to do that is being familiar with the NOTAM for that area when it is active so you can be prepared for when it does become active and you are flying. Do a few dummy plans on days that you are not flying so you can review the NOTAM for areas you may wish to fly through in the future. There sure is plenty of days that we can’t fly due to weather which gives us time to do some research.

The NOTAM will have contact details for you that you can use en-route both telephone & radio channel. You don’t need a telephone to enter those areas but you must have a radio.

I have always found transiting the area has been met with curtesy.

I always am mindful that it is a privilege not a right and have had no issues. I would not like to test the waters of busting their airspace so I continue to monitor for the duration of the flight.

cheers

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

All good information but the only way to be sure when there is no cellular coverage is to call centre & request the current status of a restricted or danger area.

The NOTAM will have contact details for you that you can use en-route both telephone & radio channel. You don’t need a telephone to enter those areas but you must have a radio.

Hi KG,

That’s why my reference to a radio ?