drifter electric fuel primer

sandman

Looking at getting a new fuel primer for my drifter and noticed on the primer "med tecnica Italy" and when I went on the internet about info on this primer, barely nothing maybe one web site but cannot get into it. Does anyone have info on this primer or point me in the right direction to talk to someone about this primer, cheers.

Not sure what you mean by Electric Primer, but I'm guessing you're referring to the electric fuel pump.

If so, my Drifter had a Facet solid state fuel pump available on ebay for $116

Or you can buy various aftermarket versions down to as little as $16.99, I've used a couple of the cheap ones and they have worked well for me.

Why do you need to replace it? Has it stopped working? They are a very simple device that last for thousands of hours usually. They only have two moving parts - an oscillating plunger withing a coil, much like a solenoid, and a non-return valve. If it still makes the usual da-da-da-da noise but doesn't pump fuel it has probably got a problem with the non-return valve, perhaps something stuck in it hence an inline fuel screen (not the fine fuel filter) is best located before the pump to prevent any large matter getting into it and stopping the ball from seating properly. If you look into the inlet end of the pump you can see the ball (often white ceramic or plastic). If you suspect a problem with it you can unscrew the hexagonal barrel and remove the ball and spring and clean it, be sure to make sure it seals again when you screw it back up i.e. use a new fibre washer, O ring, or whatever was there originally.

Hope it helps.

I've not come across that before. What engine do you have? I would have thought that an electric primer would more likely be an engine part than a Drifter part, so perhaps check the engine manual/parts list? The Rotaxes I've had, have all just had a butterfly choke for drawing extra fuel in and starting enrichment - does that device provide a spray of fuel into the inlet manifold/crankcase?

The Bing 54 carburetor on the Rotax 582 and 503 DCDI does not have a choke, it has an enricher valve. When the valve is lifted at start-up, it allows additional fuel into the engine... By the way! At start-up, the throttle needs to be completely closed for the enricher valve to supply the correct amount of fuel.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Made by AMR manufacturing Oakleigh Victoria

"LPG petrol lock off valve"

Catalog page

/2/"]AMR Manufacturing - LPG Petrol Lock Off Valves

PL40 has 8mm fuel fittings

PL30 has threads for screw in fittings

Keep those Drifters flying

Shane

• Like 2

Made by AMR manufacturing Oakleigh Victoria "LPG petrol lock off valve" Shane

Hi Shane, Are you suggesting there should be a lock off valve in the fuel line of the Drifter, if so, why do you think there should be?

My late model 582 SB Drifter has an electric fuel pump that runs whenever the key is on (always when flying).

The fuel primer is a momentary push button on the dash that opens the solenoid and squirts pressurized fuel into the priming ports on the side of the carbs. (That rubber bung on the left of the carb is a priming port)

This factory standard system works really well, You cannot leave it on, almost instant starting, no long pull cables.

If your Drifter doesn't have this you should look at putting it on

Shane

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Hi Shane, you are spot on, that primer is the exact one, I have never had a problem with the primer as I believe it is still the original one, just looks a bit rusty but when it fails I know where to get one, only problem now is can I put 1/8 barb ends on the 1/8 thread as they say barbs 6-8mm