Edinburgh in 1920. Aerial Photogtraph.

Picture from Marshall Dallas ( CEO of the Edinburgh Conference Centre )

Aerial view of Edinburgh taken in 1920.

"In order to get dazzling shots like this, the photographer would hang out of the aircraft with his leg tied to the seat with a rope..."

( I hope that the photographer didn't do that whilst flying solo ! )

* * * * EDIT * * * * Further research on this picture.

The photograph was taken by a Capt A.G. Buckham (ex-RNAS). He was one of THE pioneers of aerial photography for non-military purposes, and his amazing pictures often have aircraft in them, like the Camel there.

1385044782_EDINBURGHAERIALPIC-1920.jpg.019c758e45586e4f114d8f48b7fdeebb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I like the oldi Pics very much Charlie.  A couple of friends occasionally mail me stuff from 'The History lovers Club' on Twitter.  I have not got an account, so this is handy. . .

Here's an update and correction ot one I posted on the 'Old Motorbikes' thread on WUA.  I said, ( incorrectly that the men pictured were Mr Harley, and Mr. Davidson, . .when in fct there were FOUR of them, 1 x Harley and 3 x Davidsons !  

The founders of Harley-Davidson, left to right: Arthur Davidson, Walter Davidson, William Harley, and William Davidson. Photo courtesy of the HD Archives.

227886884_FoundersofHarleyDavidson.thumb.jpg.661b64cb1a144b2c961a19079619d6c9.jpg

Oh I dunno Birdy,. . .  I thought that this was the height of 'Chic' fashion in them thar days. . . There's a local motorcycle |Club around here, I see them out and about on Sundays usually. They are all 'Greying Eagles',  ie, 'Older Blokes' !    A couple of them had leather jackets with 'Hell's Geriatrics' emblazoned on the back . . . I asked them one morning whilst having my constitutional across Cannock Chase, . . why there were only TWO Harleys in a bunch of twenty or so machines,. .the rest were Chinese / Korean 'Knock Off' Lookalikes. . . .     The answer was invariably along the lines of :  "State Pension don't go far mate" 

l worked for a Harley Davidson dealership for 15 years, and have been around motorcycles most of my life. I see the old geezers (myself included) who just haven't given it up, and the new midlife crisis guys just getting started. Harleys are fun, but damn expensive. I bought my last one in 1993, still have it.The ones now range from 12k to 45k.

Sorry, before I pay 40k for a vehicle, it better have wings, and I ain't tattooing any of them on my arm.(love tattoos,just not brand names) maybe super cub....

Motorcycles are fun, but they just crawl around on the ground. Harley Davidson Co dose have a great and interesting history though. 

Interesting history you have Charlie. . .

I spoke to a friend at the local airfield today (<othertonairfield.co.uk> ) who had just returned from a 2 week vacation in the States. . .He traded in his 25Khz Icom hand held Radio for a ride in a Stearman,. . .valued there at 170 Bux,. . . he'd have got Fifty Quid here, but ONLY if he bought a brand new Icom rig in the trade in deal. . .He wanted a Yaesu, Japanese jobbie, so he took the Stearman deal instead !  ( He was one of my proteges, ie, I introduced him to flying over a period of around 2 years, ooh,. . back around 1994/6, but didn't 'Teach' him as I didn't have an instructor ticket in the UK ! ).  he then paid more dollarz for a ride in a floatplane. . . . Not much use for a floatplane rating around these parts,. .. NO water. . . the canal barge people would get a little upset if we started landing on Canals. . .

I gave up riding some years back, after being unseated by ANOTHER tin box pilot who wasn't paying attention. . .that's a score of around nine slides along the unforgiving tarmac on my a$$ since I started riding motorized bikes in 1967. . . Takes too long for the wounds to heal at 68 Yrs old mate. . . .

Glad you survived em. I've had my share of sprains and gashes off road, and a couple on the street that should have killed me. My memory isn't what it used to be and there is an itch or two I can't reach anymore, but I'm still here...