Electric Fuel Pump for Rotax 912ULS - which one to use?

ozzietriker

Hi Folks,

For redundancy & peace of mind, i'm looking at installing an electric fuel pump to my Rotax 912 ULS engine (non turbo) in addition to the one & only mechanical fuel pump currently fitted (Rotax P/N 893110). This is for a Auto Gyro.

I've been looking at FEDTRO 12VDC Fuel Pumps P/N 40105 and was wondering whether if anyone has good or bad experience with these pumps or are you using another brand?

Also I would like to know whether if these pumps must be fitted either horizontally/vertically or doesn't matter?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Fedtro is a cheap copy of a Facet pump. They even copy the box it comes in. I bought one as an auxilliary pump & it worked OK for a while but had an erratic sound that was not inspiring at all. Then I mistakenly reversed the polarity when re connecting the wires back to the switch & that blew it up. I'd spend a bit more & get a good quality American made Facet. The Facet also has reverse polarity protection.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Fedtro is a cheap copy of a Facet pump. They even copy the box it comes in. I bought one as an auxilliary pump & it worked OK for a while but had an erratic sound that was not inspiring at all. Then I mistakenly reversed the polarity when re connecting the wires back to the switch & that blew it up. I'd spend a bit more & get a good quality American made Facet. The Facet also has reverse polarity protection.

Thanks mate, i've had a look at those Facet pumps on Aircraft Spruce website.

not sure which one to buy for Rotax 912ULS - i'm thinking 40105 (the same P/N as FEDTRO) ?

The Facet pump for the 912ULS in the RV-12 is a 40105. You could order one from Vans - probably cheaper postage than A/C.http://vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1456236795-212-141&browse=engines&product=pump-carb

rgmwa.

thanks!

the one pictured in that link seems to have different fittings? My fuel hose is 8mm (5/16").

I don't have the exact figures to hand, but Rotax specify the maximum delivery pressure for a boost pump in the installation manual. You can find the delivery pressures for the Facet pumps online and that will tell you which Facet pump is the correct one. The number that RGM posted rings a bell in my mind, but it would be best to check it by the numbers first. I wouldn't bet my life on an el-cheapo pump, which is exactly what you're doing if you put one in an aircraft.

Once you know the correct delivery pressure check Ebay as most of the models are there. A 4-6 psi Facet pump will only cost around $50.00 delivered to your door. The 40105 is quite an expensive model but check out the specs on the facet website & those with the same delivery pressure to find out why there is a difference.

Once you know the correct delivery pressure check Ebay as most of the models are there. A 4-6 psi Facet pump will only cost around $50.00 delivered to your door. The 40105 is quite an expensive model but check out the specs on the facet website & those with the same delivery pressure to find out why there is a difference.

There is nothing "expensive" in my airplane. My life could depend on any part of it and I want the best I can get. If you put in "cheap" stuff in your airplane, then fly it like it will stop every time you fly. Yes I know we're trained to expect an engine out, but with cheap gear in your plane, elevate "possibility" to "near certainty".

[ATTACH=full]41657[/ATTACH]If you fit a Facet Pump, check the wiring very carefully.

OUCH! Not good to see crispy stuff at any time, but especially near fuel....

The only fuel pump I've ever had fail was electric

Has anybody here actually had a mechanical pump fail ?

I would rather fit a GA type electric pump than the pressed metal cheap auto pumps

The only fuel pump I've ever had fail was electricHas anybody here actually had a mechanical pump fail ?

I would rather fit a GA type electric pump than the pressed metal cheap auto pumps

Thanks Ozbear for your post,

The idea is to have a backup (electric pump) TO USE ONLY in the event that the mechanical one fails (although unlikely).

It would help my psychological welfare when flying over remote areas in WA/tiger country etc...

Is there a specific GA electric pump which you are suggesting? pressure range i'm looking at is 2-4 PSI.

Cheers

Thanks Ozbear for your post,The idea is to have a backup (electric pump) TO USE ONLY in the event that the mechanical one fails (although unlikely).

It would help my psychological welfare when flying over remote areas in WA/tiger country etc...

Is there a specific GA electric pump which you are suggesting? pressure range i'm looking at is 2-4 PSI.

Cheers

Hi Ozzie

Right now I own a Foxbat and therefore have no electric booster pump

But if I was inclined to fit one I would look for a new one to fit a 12v cessna or piper fitted to an aircraft with a 100 to 140 hp engine the best person to talk to would be a LAME he could give you supply volume and pressure specs also fitting threads. Facet actually make aircraft pumps as well

Hi OzzieRight now I own a Foxbat and therefore have no electric booster pump

But if I was inclined to fit one I would look for a new one to fit a 12v cessna or piper fitted to an aircraft with a 100 to 140 hp engine the best person to talk to would be a LAME he could give you supply volume and pressure specs also fitting threads. Facet actually make aircraft pumps as well

thanks Ozbear :)

I have twice been flying a Rotax 912 powered plane when it suffered fuel pump failure. Both times it was the mechanical Pump.

First time the valves came loose inside the pump.(found on strip down). The second was because the replacement was installed with the incorrect spacer and inside of about 4 hrs seized up. On both occasions the Facet electric pump kept the motor running.

I have twice been flying a Rotax 912 powered plane when it suffered fuel pump failure. Both times it was the mechanical Pump.First time the valves came loose inside the pump.(found on strip down). The second was because the replacement was installed with the incorrect spacer and inside of about 4 hrs seized up. On both occasions the Facet electric pump kept the motor running.

Was that one of the early type pumps or the later upgraded pump that failed you are the unluckiest poor sole to have 2 fail .

Thanks Valex for your post, having an Aux electric fuel pump is priceless.

Did you mount yours before or after mech pump plumbing?

Cheers

I have twice been flying a Rotax 912 powered plane when it suffered fuel pump failure. Both times it was the mechanical Pump.First time the valves came loose inside the pump.(found on strip down). The second was because the replacement was installed with the incorrect spacer and inside of about 4 hrs seized up. On both occasions the Facet electric pump kept the motor running.

anks

Valex,

Can you tell me which model of Fecet fuel pump you have fitted in your 912ULS?

If output pressure is too high it will override float valve in carb. Rotax say 4.4psi max.

The first pump was an "AC" brand and the motor had about 1000hs or so on it. The second was the later model pump but the problem was caused by fitting it with the original spacer instead of the thicker spacer required to stop it from over stroking the pump and seizing it.

The electric pump was mounted before the mechanical pump and was normally only used for takeoff and landing.

I don't have access to the plane any longer and am not sure of the model number but my recollection is that it was just a garden variety Facet with 3 to 6 psi pressure.

The first pump was an "AC" brand and the motor had about 1000hs or so on it. The second was the later model pump but the problem was caused by fitting it with the original spacer instead of the thicker spacer required to stop it from over stroking the pump and seizing it.The electric pump was mounted before the mechanical pump and was normally only used for takeoff and landing.

I don't have access to the plane any longer and am not sure of the model number but my recollection is that it was just a garden variety Facet with 3 to 6 psi pressure.

thanks for your post Valex & your info is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew