Firewall forward kit for Jabiru/Rotax 912

zodiac3813

Hi people,

On making an (unsuccessful) enquiry of RAAus Tecnical Manager Steve Bell about the possibility of changing my 55-registered LSA Jab to 19 rego to allow for possible change to a Rotax 912 (among other mods), I was informed that sometime "in the not too distant future", a manufacturer (not identified) will have a CASA-approved firewall-forward kit on the market for factory built Jabs. The approval process is well underway, apparently. That's all I know. Has anyone else heard anything?

Cheers, Jim.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

Seems like a good move IMOP. There were at least two 912 powered Jabs operating out of the Rockhampton area a few years back, and they went very well. The J160 and 170 would be great planes with the 100 hp Rotax in them.

Would also be interesting to see just how many owners would take up the conversion once it is available..Awaiting with interest...................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest burbles1

I've flown the Jab 160 with Rotax 912 (and 3-blade carbon prop) at Warnervale - it is undergoing certification. Climb performance is better than a 2200 and standard wooden prop, but I'm told that is because of the carbon prop.

Guest Maj Millard

My be possible to fit an oil operated CS prop to the 912, as the engine has the drive provision for a govenor. however the electric Airmaster CS props are such a nice unit I don't know why you would bother. They are a very well thought out unit, and also offer manual prop settings in-flight, plus full feather capability. They may also work out cheaper in the long run. They are mult-function selectable on the dash and have self diognostic warning functions. Even the standard fixed-pitch 3 blade Powerfin prop for instance would offer much improved performance out of the jab airframes, and of course a greatly improved take-off and climb performance also.

The big advantage of putting the 912 into a Jab Vs the jab engine is the bigger selection of prop types as you are not limited to one type. This alone should wring incredibable performance gains out of the jab airframes. Additionally even though the 912s are turning greater engine and prop RPMs, they offer much more proven reliability and servicing ease..................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Electric/hydraulic?

A bad choice of word on my part. I meant to highlight the hollow driveshaft advantages and that permits a manual variable pitch option, also. As Maj says many more propellers can be fitted due to the reduction gear incorporating torsional vibration damping features. Nev

Guest Maj Millard

/jab conversionI have fitted an Indavario 3blade IFA (hydrylic), and the Airmaster CS (electric)..both utilizing the hollow propshaft on the 912. Howie at lightwing also has a mechanical/elect IFA prop that he fits to the Speed. Haven't flown with that myself yet.

The 3 blade carbon Powerfin that I have on the Lightwing goes well when pitched right.

I have mine pitched for cruise which is where I spend most time, and I only turn 5200-5300 RPMs on take off, but still get off the ground pretty short and I climb at 1000fpm + close to gross, so it is doing a great job of utilizing the 100 hp available.

This will be the real beauty of the 912/Jab conversion,,the choice of availabe props !

Powerfin is now offering a 5 blade CF set up..Mmmmmmm...................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

DSC09322.jpg.d4f62c156567080dcd1ced820924e6f0.jpg

P9271060.JPG.4f39ccebbb6760a8ac18955e47c0fbb4.JPG

1496051523_pic35(4).jpg.dadb65829c7edbc80b126ea21543ebe8.jpg

0909091409-00.jpg.13f6225bc259a3b67d3d49b673e2c596.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Have said before and still feel a Jab 170 with Rotax 912 ULS (100hp) would be a fantastic reasionably priced Australian tourer

Hmmmmmm......

Currently have 280kg usable (320kg dry) in a 170 with a 2.2. What would be the dry weight with a 912.

Looks like I have to answer my own question.

Weight of Jab 2200 inc exhaust etc 62.8kg

Weight of 912ULS inc Gearbox exhaust etc 63.8kg

So not much in it, still going to have over 270kg carrying capacity inc fuel in a Factory 170 after conversion..........

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Looks like I have to answer my own question.Weight of Jab 2200 inc exhaust etc 62.8kg

Weight of 912ULS inc Gearbox exhaust etc 63.8kg

So not much in it, still going to have over 270kg carrying capacity inc fuel in a Factory 170 after conversion..........

DONT FORGET THE EXTRA 2KG FOR THAT 3 BLADE CARBON PROP considering the moment arm position you will need rear ballast.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest clamar floats

Can you PM please, need info

Regards

Clamar

914 Rotax JabiruHello all, I have a J400 with a 914 rotax, C/S prop and does it go!!!!!! I am very very happy with it. Any Questions just ask, Tom

Guest clamar floats

Can you PM me with Tom's contacts please?

Regards

Clamar

914 Rotax JabiruHello all, I have a J400 with a 914 rotax, C/S prop and does it go!!!!!! I am very very happy with it. Any Questions just ask, Tom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Please may I have details, gerard1

Hey sorry about the slow reply. Yes I built my J400 with the 914 rotax from new, I always like to be a little different. Major hurdles? not really any, probably the engine mount but even that went well. but as with any mod there is a string of further mods to carry out down the line, e.g. the constant speed prop is larger diameter so I had to extend the nose leg for ground clearance, and move the axles on the main legs 'up a hole',, it actually sits much nicer on the ground now. Take off performance is very impressive and at max TOW (700kg) we still climb out at 1000'/min. empty wt is 345kg About 15 kg heavier than a similar Jab powered aircraft, most of that is the 9 kg prop! Wt and balance were spot on with no need to add ballast. I have the radiator mounted to the side of the lower cowl and oil cooler just below prop in front, definitely no temp issues I can fly on 45' days with no worries! cruise is the same as Jab but with a slightly lower fuel burn. I am very happy with the conversion as it has proved to be reliable and low maintenance.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Could only guess. Generally things appear to be more difficult in UK. They have done a fairly good job of investigation of some jabiru matters relating to engines so they might see a point to the conversion. Are we talking BCAR? I'm not faniliar with the rules you operate under. Nev

Not sure what BCAR is or means, relitively new to the game, got the Jab in June to do my solos and complete my licence that I did in Oct/Nov.

not had any major issues with the Jab only mags going down, but reading all the forums they dont seem to be as good as the rotax hence the post

Cheers

Gary O

• 4 months later...
Hi people,On making an (unsuccessful) enquiry of RAAus Tecnical Manager Steve Bell about the possibility of changing my 55-registered LSA Jab to 19 rego to allow for possible change to a Rotax 912 (among other mods), I was informed that sometime "in the not too distant future", a manufacturer (not identified) will have a CASA-approved firewall-forward kit on the market for factory built Jabs. The approval process is well underway, apparently. That's all I know. Has anyone else heard anything?

Cheers, Jim.

i wondered if we are nearing " the not too distant future"when a firewall forward kit is available i have a parnter who wont get in our jabiru now , after having an engine failure and having a forced landing . I live in rockhampton talked to a person who flew one of the Jabs with a 912 said it was a fanastic aircraft

Yes the rotax Jabiru is definitely the go. The Jabiru airframe is a strong low maintenance airframe coupled with the reliable low maintenance Rotax it really is a good machine. Tom