Video: Aircraft crash with good AvWeb comments

Rocketing

It is staggering to see that the pilot must have realised after that length of time that the aircraft was not gaining sufficient altitude and that he had still all that runway in front of him that he did not abort the take off and recalculate/reconfigure for that particular flight. Don't know what the hell he was thinking...

Guest Maj Millard

The Stintson 108 with the Franklin engine is known for being a bit underpowered even at sea level. Add four bums and what they reckon was around 9000' density altitude, and there you have it.

Years ago I was driving up through the Sierra Nevada mountains from San Francisco to Reno to attend the Reno Air races. The highway through the rugged mountains peak out at about 9500 Ft, just before reaching the top and then descending. As we came around one of the last climbing turns, there above us in plane view, was a small yellow single engined plane planted on the side of the mountain, with only minimal damage. Obviously he had run out of puff also................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

In my opinion, this isn't taught enough in the Human Factors syllabus. When you've got 3 passengers (and/or bystanders) there, there's a lot of pressure to "go on". I'm sure the pilot would have known the situation was deteriorating, but peer group pressure took over giving the pilot a "I can save this situation" attitude.

Another potential Darwin Award winner. Pity that they often take innocent people with them. The skip after takeoff was a HUGE clue. At that point he had plenty of space and time to abort the takeoff and postpone it or make changes to the AUW of the aircraft somewhow. Leave some possessions behind? It's better than leaving this world behind.

Yet another case of Get-There-itis.