X Air Running costs

CraigRat

I'm looking in the future to purchase a A/C like the XAir, something that'll get me (and a passenger) up there without too much outlay.

Not in the market just yet (still learning) but I was taken up in an XAir the other week and I just loved it... and the price is smack bang in the affordable category for me!

What I was wondering was what are the ongoing costs like for this type of aircraft?

(Cost of engine maintenance, 100 hourlys, Costs associated with regular maintenance etc)

Just an indication would be great so I can work out some real numbers and work on justifying the purchase to my wife!!).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fella's,

I have owned an Xair std for 3 years now. I assembled it myself and have found that if you do the work yourself then the costs are no more than a second family car. If you do the recommended maintanence, change the plugs and oils when re3commended and keep the filters etc up to date then the outlay for maintanence will be very low. Because it is Registered as an ultralight then you can do your own maintanence.

I have put 160 hrs on mine now and appreciate the hell out of it. No fast but lots of fun.

Cheers

Maynard

Hi all I'm building a Xair Hanuman its VH registered runs a 2200 jab engine.Hasnt flown as yet the quoted fuel burn is around 15 ltr/h, insurance all depends on what you want included in your policy.If you build it you can do all your maintainence your self, If you register it with the RAA on their web site they have a list of charges & some good info for future buyers Hope this helps.

Cheers

Xair Costs

Hi Guys

I bought a 1/6 share in an Xair did some training in it then about 50 hrs.Great aircraft stol good manners not too fast though.The killer with the two stroke is the three hundred hour TBO $7000 for a new donk (still use old radiators etc) ouch we are putting a BMW motor in it should make it much more usable better range maybe a touch faster.

Cheers Dave

Guest 4aplat

are you joking with the 7000 AUS ?

After 300 h you have to check parts and change piston rings, gaskets and sometimes piston or connecting roads (and in very bad case the crankshaft)

I know guys running their rotax stock after 900 h (if it runs whell, dont' touch !)

MicheL

BMW engines are not good as the exhaust pipe are on the front (only use them in pusher configuration)

it's better to try HKS, Jabiru or ROTAX 912

MicheL

I hope they weren't going to replace the 582 after just 300 hrs. With a top end overhaul (read decoke and rings) then the beast should last for a long time yet ais you treat it properly.

I have just changed my 582 after 750 hrs and then only because I needed to do some long trips and wanted the reliability. The old one is sitting there as a spare. The new one cost about $7000. If you are getting rid of the old one at 300 hrs then you should have at least half of the new one paid for by the resale price.

I agree, the cost of a second car is about right.

Cheers

Maynard

The 750 hrs I mentioned above consists mainly of the hours that were on the engine before I bought it as a second hand runner from Randal Crowley. The engine performed beautifully whist in the Xair.

Hi,

don't forget the go cart clubs these clubs will jump at the chance of purchasing your 2nd hand Rotax sold my old one with just over 900 hours three years ago for 1/2 the cost of a new one.

Bob.

• Like 1

582 tbo

I have heard of many people getting more hours than the 300 out of them.However a few guys I know run a Drifter No1 engine blew up at 330 hours no2 engine blew up at 350 hrs.To me if the makers say a rebuild or replacement at a certain time then that is what happens (remember its a syndicate aircraft) As regards BMW motors bieng no good then we will just wait and see.

Dave

There are a couple Xair STD in the UK flying with BMW engines. To fit them in a Xair they had to manufacture a new engine mount & a fair bit of mucking around to install. Just another option!.

One last question, how difficult is it to remove the wings etc for trailering?

I'm not too sure I can afford hangar space, and need to suss out the alternatives.

Great feedback so far, looks like I'm going down the right track!

X air costs

No Michael I am not joking about the $ 7000 for a new Rotax 582.As for a HKS or jabaroo no thanks I would rather have genital warts.The 912 would be the pick but the payload would be reduced to an unacceptable level also not worth the investment on this type and age of aircraft. Best to sell and buy something else.

Cheers Dave

Guest 4aplat
One last question, how difficult is it to remove the wings etc for trailering? I'm not too sure I can afford hangar space, and need to suss out the alternatives.

Great feedback so far, looks like I'm going down the right track!

It's not possible with the X air

but you could do such a thing with the hanuman

MicheL

Guest 4aplat
No Michael I am not joking about the $ 7000 for a new Rotax 582.As for a HKS or jabaroo no thanks I would rather have genital warts.The 912 would be the pick but the payload would be reduced to an unacceptable level also not worth the investment on this type and age of aircraft. Best to sell and buy something else.Cheers Dave

I understand that 7000 $ is for a brand new engine, but a 582 is able to fly more than 1000 hours

MicheL

There is a Xair STD with a 912 powering it in the USA, not a viable option though the cost of the 912 & you dont get any increase of performance due too weight, Plenty Xair's with 582 & Jabiru. The Hanuman has a folding wing which is included in the kit, The Xair STD wing doesn't fold but it is easily removed. If you go to www.randkar.fr look under videos there is a short video by an Xair dealer it shows the Xair STD wings being removed.

• 1 year later...

Just wondering if anyone can provide a figure as asked, in dollar terms what would you be looking at per hour? $20, $30, $40 or more? Ignoring finance but say include insurance, no worried about Hangarage as that is changes all too much. Cheers!

Guest 4aplat
There is a Xair STD with a 912 powering it in the USA, not a viable option though the cost of the 912 & you dont get any increase of performance due too weight, Plenty Xair's with 582 & Jabiru. The Hanuman has a folding wing which is included in the kit, The Xair STD wing doesn't fold but it is easily removed. If you go to www.randkar.fr look under videos there is a short video by an Xair dealer it shows the Xair STD wings being removed.

I'm not sure there is a folding wing kit include in the hanuman kit ..........

I saw the prtotype (folding wing) many years ago and I think it's not a good solution(if you have to fold the wings each day)

The hanuman does have folding wings it is part of the kit it is actually allready installed in the main structure. I dont fold my wings & never have as I have no need to it is in a hanger.

Guest 4aplat

I was in the rand-kar company las week end (the disigner of the X-air) and I didn(t see that the folding wing was part of the kit

may be a matter of weigth (maw empty weight 297 kg with a parachute here)

have you got any picture ? (I just see the folding wing prototype 5 years ago)

MicheL

With a MAW of 297 kg, even the standard Xair is 237 kg empty. How do you get a reasonable pilot into it. (490kg std xair in Australia)

Guest 4aplat

Empty weight is

X-air + parachute + rotax 912 + 1 hour of gas (+ radio ..... )

max weight is 472.5 kg with parachute, 450 kg without parachute