Just taking off ...

Guest tonybarry

Guest tonybarry

G'day people,

Happened on this forum while searching for Maycom AR-108 scanners. Looks good so far ... I flew a Cessna 152 as a student pilot back in 1980, did 40hrs at Avondale (Cooranbong, NSW). Now a few years older, :-) and thinking about ultralights. Currently fly model aircraft (electric) and like the minimal noise. Don't know how the ultralights fare with noise levels - keen to hear from those who have tried out various craft and their opinions on the subject.

I'll return to lurking ...

Regards,

Tony Barry

Sydney

Hi Tony

and welcome aboard! to a great load of fun!

You should get heaps of input from your question, noise levels! inside or out? Usuall thing the faster you go the more air noise you get. However from the ground can be very quite!

Used to live at Dora Creek, not far from Avondale! However never flew from there, had a mate who was an instructor there, however that was probably the late nineties!

Cheers Guy

g'day... i LLLLOOOOVVVEEEE the noise...nothin sounds better then a nice engine, its music to my ears... but serously, noise shouldn't be aproblem, if it is ya can always get a set of noise reduction headphones, they work pretty well.. but, they will cancel out that sweet note..hehe...

ive flown skyfoxes, drifta, thruster and jabiru's.. and i can't ever remember being annoyed by the noise, perhaps in the drifta it was a little noisier but i was sitting in the rear seat with the engine just behind my head, but i never had any trouble hearing the pilot over the intercom..

anyway, good luck if ya decide to get bak amongst the blue stuff...

cheers;)

Guest tonybarry

Thanks guys for the responses. When I flew the Cessna 152 I wore a headset and frankly I was surprised by the level of ambient noise. The ultralights I have seen (from the ground, at the side of the runway) were all two strokes, pretty raucous beasties, and the motor was generally mounted on a boom ahead of the pilot, exhaust over the top of the rag wing.

But things may well have changed. Noise cancelling headsets weren't around as far as I knew back in the early eighties. Engine layouts and systems have had twenty years to get better.

Yeah the blue stuff is pretty enticing. I hope someday to return there, but with a lot less between me and the air than the Cessna had. A windscreen would be nice. Instruments are essential, flight is a risky enough business without knowing what's happening and being able to talk to the other players. But I don't need much speed, would prefer slower rather than faster in fact. Don't need cargo abilities or range, two people and four hours flying time is plenty. Don't need aerobatic ability, stability beats stunts in my opinion anyday. A good low stall speed, a forgiving stall, reasonable penetration and solid reliability, maintainability, a well thought out maintenance schedule ... these things matter to me now. Other people may of course have different agenda, and that's perfectly OK.

Regards,

Tony Barry

Hey, Deskpilot, was over your way Saturday. Couldn't believe the traffic on the air out of Murray bridge as we flew past for Parafield. Took a couple of pics as I flew past on the way back to Wangaratta but alas by the time I got the camera to work I was past and have a couple of distant shots. I must return in the future and drop in.

Terry

Guest tonybarry

Hello Doug,

I think I was hooked about age seven or eight. Unfortunately I haven't the funds to indulge my addiction ... :-) but that may change.

I am looking round the forum for info about Jabiru ... I will read and digest.

Regards,

Tony Barry