Getting Back

Jayke

Hi Guys!

So I started my flight training a while ago and racked up about 14 hours, then a few things came up (baby, house, business start up) basically life. 18 months later and I want to get back into it. I just have a few questions I thought you guys could answer.

1. Obviously I'm not gong to jump back in and be where I was at 14 hours when I left, so I'm thinking another TIF? and X amount of hours to get back up to scratch.

2. I really want to have my ground school done and dusted, books exams etc. I completed my pre-solo test before I left, does this become outdated or obsolete having not completed the certificate?

3. What books have you guys been using to study? The book I have from my flight school is great but I feel like having some other sources of information couldn't hurt.

I am going to see my flight school later in the week when I can get out there but thought it wouldn't hurt running some questions through on here.

thanks guys!

Great you’re getting back into it Jayke.

1. My suggestion (and what I’d expect a School to say) is to simply go for a fly with an instructor and see where you’re at. Get back up to scratch (if needed) and then move on to the next step.

2/3. It’s ideal to be be studying the theory parallel with the practical flying. There’s really no limit as to what to study. Aviation Theory Centre and Bob Tait both produce a whole range of study books. Start off with “Basic Aeronautical Knowledge”, then PPL, then CPL. If you’re really up for pain and suffering, there’s always the ATPL exams...

I used both ATC and Bob Tait. Between the two, they cover all you need to know at that level.

If you’re going to continue your studies at your previous school, they’ll still have you exam. But I’d suggest a refresher wouldn’t hurt.

I'm guessing that once you have passed a written test and it's signed in your log book by the CFI, I don't think you'd have to do it again, especially after only 18months.

Of course you will be playing catch up, big time, as far as your practical training goes. Expect to be doing a few more hours to get to solo and the completion of your certificate, as it is competency based, as you know.

BTW, your flight school is required to keep your training records, so talk to them.

I changed schools at about 10 hours. I had to learn a new plane, a new airfield and a new instructor, so it took time for things to settle in for me. I feel it made me a better pilot.