Great Ocean rd trip ideas

Guy s

Hi Everyone, I'm planning on doing a trip with 2 other planes from Lismore (Northern Nsw) to the Great Ocean rd, in winter

I haven't done any flying down the southern parts of Oz so not overly familiar with places to go and see or keep away from, so hoping for some suggestions, local knowledge or pilots who have done similiar trips.

The route i mapped while watching the idiot box the other night is roughly done and sure there'll b a few changes as i look in2 it a bit more.

Not sure how to come back home once we're west of the Great ocean rd wether to head up to Broken hill and follow the Darling river system back which we did a few yrs ago or a more coastal route?

Here's Screenshot_20200206-192846.thumb.jpg.de3f9c5cc2b61a75a551917e364b3f9b.jpgthe track i have so far

Lismore

Amidale

Rylstone

Bathurst

Cowra

Young

Cootamundra

Tumut

Holbrook

Mitta mitta

Mount Beauty

Bright

Milawa

Wangaratta

Yarrawonga

Shepparton

Bendigo

Windermere

Lethbridge

Barwon heads

Apolla Bay

Peterborough

Warrnambool

Port Fairly

Portland

Mount Gambier

Millicent

Robe

Kingston

Deniliquin

Griffith

Forbes

• Like 1

Good trip Guy. I notice you have Peterborough in there by mistake and Naracoorte left out. trivia I know.

My only caution though is to plan for several days lost due to weather . So don't make bookings for calendar days, and don't commit to a must do finish date.

best wishes

• Like 3

Horsham Aviation services. A great company for any services/avionic repairs or upgrades enroute....

Not sure what schedule or time frame you're looking at but it seems pretty busy.

I wouldn't plan flying every day. You'll burn out and end up just being constantly "in transit".

• Like 2

Guest Machtuk

Would be a loooong trip but interesting. As mentioned don't have a time schedule as Vic WX can change in an hour! YMBT is great to view but high terrain and multiple valleys with low cloud means danger.

Coastal routes are subject to low cloud, drizzle and turbulence especially if strong Nthl'y. Apollo Bay can be tricky if strong winds right on the coast. Be prepared to get stuck somewhere for days with low cloud and cold fronts. Dress warmly, like freezer suit type clothing!??

Good trip Guy. I notice you have Peterborough in there by mistake and Naracoorte left out. trivia I know.

My only caution though is to plan for several days lost due to weather . So don't make bookings for calendar days, and don't commit to a must do finish date.

best wishes

Thanks Bruce and i'll make note of Naracoorte and we don't tend to book ahead, but more like the day before hand unless it's somewhere like Adels grove where u might need to book ahead and then we give ourselves a extra day to get there just incase.

Horsham Aviation services. A great company for any services/avionic repairs or upgrades enroute....

Not sure what schedule or time frame you're looking at but it seems pretty busy.

I wouldn't plan flying every day. You'll burn out and end up just being constantly "in transit".

Hi Downunder,

We've done a few trips over the years but all in the warmer part of the country (wintertime) Karumba last winter. I agree about getting burnt out and we generally don't do more than 4hrs a day (Wife gets a little stress after 4hrs and I;m getting a little to old to go doing big days :wink:) and we like to arrive to our destination for lunch and soak up the local atmosphere for the night and sometimes for 2-3 nights if it's somewhere like Broken Hill or Kurumba to doing a spot of fishing etc .

A trip Like this I was thinking we'll need 3 weeks roughly at 85kts.

• Like 1

Would be a loooong trip but interesting. As mentioned don't have a time schedule as Vic WX can change in an hour! YMBT is great to view but high terrain and multiple valleys with low cloud means danger.

Coastal routes are subject to low cloud, drizzle and turbulence especially if strong Nthl'y. Apollo Bay can be tricky if strong winds right on the coast. Be prepared to get stuck somewhere for days with low cloud and cold fronts. Dress warmly, like freezer suit type clothing!??

This trip will make a change to flying north for the winter and I'm hoping to see some snow and also hoping the weather will be a little kind. My wife hates the cold so she'll be dressed like the michelin man me thinks and luckily I can isolate and turn of the passenger headset(On the dash} so I don't have to hear about her toes going numb :cheezy grin:

• Like 1

Visit YLIL and (subject to some advanced planning) I'll show you the Yarra Valley and its wineries and admire your Savannah.

• Like 1

Hi Guy,

Looks like a great trip! I would simply add to what some others have said - plan for low cloud especially along the coast. I had 3 attempts to fly to the 12 Apostles from Penfield (Sunbury) when my brother was visiting a few years ago, all thwarted by low cloud along the coast.

Let me know when you plan to be at Lethbridge and I will try to get there in my Savvy to say "Hi".

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 1

Speaking of Savannah's Guy, how about a "full size" of that thumb nail?

These photo's were taken at Arkaroola on the way back from the Marree Camel races.

I thought I would included a photo of our luggage which included tent,thermarest mattresses and lightweight sleeping bags -10 rating I think in case we couldn't get accomodation. Also the carry bags were reasonably light and can be wheeled or worn as a backpack.

P7060082.JPG.4a23ed9478eb3b4c60dc7d0ba6c1875d.JPGP7070108.JPG.f5e427faca686fe8781db50b94d894ed.JPGP7070089.JPG.243dc39a2f6063aaf07d039de3e8340d.JPG

• Like 2

Visit YLIL and (subject to some advanced planning) I'll show you the Yarra Valley and its wineries and admire your Savannah.

I let u know if we come down that way Steve and a look around the area sounds great and a wine or 2 for the girls, I'm more of a beer type of guy but sure I can adapt ?:cheers: I also remember chatting with you about a month ago about Butch's Sav and be good to meet in person.

Cheers Guy.

Hi Guy,

Looks like a great trip! I would simply add to what some others have said - plan for low cloud especially along the coast. I had 3 attempts to fly to the 12 Apostles from Penfield (Sunbury) when my brother was visiting a few years ago, all thwarted by low cloud along the coast.

Let me know when you plan to be at Lethbridge and I will try to get there in my Savvy to say "Hi".

Cheers,

Neil

Sounds good Neil and I can let u know when we land at Lethbridge and there'll be another Savannah as well as mine on this trip.

The talk of all this low cloud has me half spooked and I was hoping for those cloudless winter days like u get out west and up north. We might have have some spare days up our sleeves I think.

We have lots of good days in the winter Guy. I reckon the best days in the year are the sunny winter days. People are correctly worried though that you might feel pressured by a timetable to push ahead into low cloud.

Remember that lovely dark red Rapide which used to be based at Caboolture? It was on my list of things to see close-up one day. My theory is that he took some passengers over the great divide to an event and felt under pressure to get them home on time, even if the weather didn't cooperate.

Reacting to Nev's comment, I can say that Naracoorte, and Horsham are good places. Naracoorte has a credit card fuel bowser, and if you stop at Horsham.

pay a visit to Horsham Aviation Services. They are a competent and friendly bunch. ( No. I get nothing for advertising )

You could stop at Edenhope, but there is only one N/S strip there and no fuel. And its only 50k from Naracoorte and 90k to Horsham going W to E.

• Like 1

I'd consider Mudgee (NSW) and Goolwa (SA). There's a few there I wouldn't bother with. Nev

Thanks Nev and I've added Mudgee and Goolwa to my list.

Most places listed basically were to just join the dots for a track to head south etc and we will b either overflying a lot of those places but if we need a weebreak or stretch the legs,, we have that option and we'll mainly will be staying at places that have something of interest about it if that's the right wording.

Cheers G.

We have lots of good days in the winter Guy. I reckon the best days in the year are the sunny winter days. People are correctly worried though that you might feel pressured by a timetable to push ahead into low cloud.

Remember that lovely dark red Rapide which used to be based at Caboolture? It was on my list of things to see close-up one day. My theory is that he took some passengers over the great divide to an event and felt under pressure to get them home on time, even if the weather didn't cooperate.

Reacting to Nev's comment, I can say that Naracoorte, and Horsham are good places. Naracoorte has a credit card fuel bowser, and if you stop at Horsham.

pay a visit to Horsham Aviation Services. They are a competent and friendly bunch. ( No. I get nothing for advertising )

You could stop at Edenhope, but there is only one N/S strip there and no fuel. And its only 50k from Naracoorte and 90k to Horsham going W to E.

Thanks again Bruce and I'll also be adding these places to my itinerary which is what i was looking for as I'm not familiar with the bottom part of Oz.

Also point taken on pushing ahead and if the weather not cooperating then so be it, we'll wait it out. 6 of us discussing the weather and i like to think there'll b aleast 4 sensibles amongst us for a unanimous decision :smile:

We were going to fly out to Diranbandi for the night last weekend to look at the flood waters out there but cancel it due to iffy local weather forcast and a good move. Getting over the Great divide has stop us plenty of times and the joys of living east of the Divide.

Cheers G.

Hi Guy. My regular local fly is along this coast - usually YBSS - YTQY - YWBL - YBSS (or a tweaked version) so I know the area reasonably well. It is correct you do get low cloud along this area but equally, it often is clear just off the coast due to the ranges running along it, so you can still get a fabulous fly/view on an otherwise cloudy day.

YTQY & YBRS are usually quite busy on weekends with Parachute and Joy flight activity so care is needed. Once past Anglesea however, you’re pretty right to (respectfully) kick back and enjoy the view. It is certainly a good one and well worth the effort.

Additionally, there is lots of very easily accessible inland alternates - YOLA, YBSS, YBLT that are all within 40mins with very low MSALT between each and good accom/facilities/coffee/pubs at each, if needed.

Hope this is helpful & have fun!

Geoff

• Informative 1

Hi Everyone, I'm planning on doing a trip with 2 other planes from Lismore (Northern Nsw) to the Great Ocean rd, in winter

I haven't done any flying down the southern parts of Oz so not overly familiar with places to go and see or keep away from, so hoping for some suggestions, local knowledge or pilots who have done similiar trips.

The route i mapped while watching the idiot box the other night is roughly done and sure there'll b a few changes as i look in2 it a bit more.

Not sure how to come back home once we're west of the Great ocean rd wether to head up to Broken hill and follow the Darling river system back which we did a few yrs ago or a more coastal route?

Here's [ATTACH type=full" alt="Screenshot_20200206-192846.jpg]51265[/ATTACH]the track i have so far

Lismore

Amidale

Rylstone

Bathurst

Cowra

Young

Cootamundra

Tumut

Holbrook

Mitta mitta

Mount Beauty

Bright

Milawa

Wangaratta

Yarrawonga

Shepparton

Bendigo

Windermere

Lethbridge

Barwon heads

Apolla Bay

Peterborough

Warrnambool

Port Fairly

Portland

Mount Gambier

Millicent

Robe

Kingston

Deniliquin

Griffith

Forbes

Sounds very adventurous. You need everything in top condition, including yourself and the Aircraft.

Have plans B & C. and be prepared for the unexpected in regards to the weather, you & your passenger, and the Aircraft.

Keep a diary of the lead up to to trip, The idea, The finances, The planing. Preparation, Lessons learned.

What were good decisions and what better decisions could have been made.

Would make for a good short story/adventure for other aviators.

• Like 1

Hi Drew, yes I've often thought about writing a article on my past trips and the in's and outs of it all, but the downside is I'm not very good at writing and not to mention there's no Sport pilot mag anymore and I don't even think there's a digital version. Hopefully the Magazine gets up and running again as I miss reading it front to back very much so.

• Like 1

Hello Guy, I am watching your track from Kenya and I haven't look at the airspace around Melbourne. That area looks really interesting but you are nicely avoiding it. So avoiding the Mornington peninsula and the Port Philips Heads because of Airspace or weather? Here in Kenya we dont have a light sport aviation licence nor do the civil aviation understand much what LSA are, so we are equipped like a certified aircraft. So no real restriction regarding airspace. Avantage :-) and inconvenients :-(

• Informative 1

It's spectacular coast around Cape Otway but very rugged. It is tempting to get low to really enjoy the scenery but there are areas where you only have poor options should an emergency arise. Additionally the water will be quite cold that time of year.

I suggest you think through some what-ifs before you get to that leg. In a Savannah I think i'd take hills/trees over rocks and cliffs.

Guy ur trip is looking good. Just check with Peterborough b4 u fly in. Last time I did not land as it had heaps of very large clumpy grasses past the sealed section. You can walk to the fab beach fm there and the town. I am in Bendigo and there are 2 savannahs there. Sat morning we meet so say Hi and enjoy our Gold town .