Headset hanger

I've been trying to find an 'off the shelf', hanger/bracket assy to store my headset on. I have a tube frame cockpit, with mainly 16 mm OD tube. Ideally I want something that clamps around the tube & provides a flat bracket, wide enough to support the headband of a headset. The intention is to have the headset hanging in the cockpit, not tangled in the harness. Aircraft Spruce have several, all wrong pipe OD for my job. Any ideas please?

Try a hydraulic tube bracket with a homemade piece of aluminium bracket shaped like a wide channel with a hole on one of the uprights for the bracket bolt

Check Enzed, they have them

Try a hydraulic tube bracket with a homemade piece of aluminium bracket shaped like a wide channel with a hole on one of the uprights for the bracket bolt

Check Enzed, they have them

Thanks, I'll give them a call to find what pipe OD they can handle. The nearest Enzed to me is too far to visit, but your idea is great, hope they have the size, Thanks for your help...Peter

[ATTACH=full]51837[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]51837[/ATTACH]

There you go

That's a very neat solution, do you remember what the components are? Or, even better, where you got them? I live in a somewhat remote location, so sourcing bits is a real issue for me. The section of my frame, that I can use is only 16 mm OD, so that may be a constraint with the clamp size...Peter

Hello again, I took the photo a while ago because I thought it was such a great idea. It is just a normal pipe clamp with a bolt 6 mm diameter going through and the part which hangs the headset is just a piece of plastic which has been machined down and then a thread put in the backend. You don't need to use plastic, I guess you could use wood or aluminium or anything else. It is just a good simple lightweight headset holder that impressed me with its simplicity

Downunder, thanks for the link, knowing the correct name for the item is half the battle. I've ordered some from the link, thanks for taking the trouble.

FlyBoy, It's a neat solution, Downunder provided a link. I can't get something machined here, but I thought I could cover the bolt used as the hanger with some shrink-wrap plastic sleeve, as used to cover electrical cable joins. This would protect the headband.

Thanks also to Bryon for the Enzed idea. What a great example of how good these forums can be....Thanks to all...Peter

No disrespect to Downunder for his terrific example of KISS engineering but you dont need to go as far as EBay - these clamps are used all the time in supporting electrical conduit and plumbing so try your local electrical/plumbing/hardware supply store ,

Buy a couple of 6mm bolts about 80mm long and cut the head off.

Use a nut each side of the P clamp bracket and cover shaft with heat shrink like you say...

Or just push over the bolt a bit of 6mm hose.....

• 1 month later...

Finally got the job done. Biggest issue in an LSA cockpit is finding some room. I wanted a hanger to store the headsets when not in flight. When flying solo I'll still engage the unused headset with the unused seatbelt. Flyboy1960 gave me the idea originally, THANKS. I used a P clamp from Speciality Bearings Canberra & 10 x 70mm SS bolts & nyloc nuts from Bunnings. Shrink wrapped the assy with the shrink tube normally used for electrical work. I've put a nyloc nut on the end to stop the set slip158458126_IMG_20200503_1130502.thumb.jpg.257d38c520b4c8ce0394390bb4f645f7.jpgping off, but I think this is overkill. Some pics attached, thanks for all the ideas

• Like 3

I’ve had a constant issue with headset hanger in the 47 as there is not much in the way of attachment points. After ponder for a while I’ve come up with this solution (mk1 at this stage). I’ve adapted a ram mount with a small piece of aluminium bar. I decided to leave the ram ball on there to keep its function as a GoPro mount. Might help someone with limited options. 7E283C7E-1E2C-4C2E-ADBF-4FA34BE3B0E8.jpeg.a53c633730a9272b5ae48ebae335cebb.jpeg

E923E648-FA10-4532-9A33-09F12B10BF46.jpeg.b94c086f80f4717ea793869b97b91d80.jpeg

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

That's a good solution, using the RAM mount. It's hard to work out in the photo, is the RAM mount a suction mount onto the perspex? Leaving the ball on is also a good idea...

• Like 1