iPad Pilot News: overheating tips

Easy - drilled out the back of the RAM mount for best air circulation (& lightening). Installed a mini eyeball vent behind iPad. Pointed vent at back of RAM mount/iPad and no more going out due to temperature. See earlier conversation on this topic.

Easy - drilled out the back of the RAM mount for best air circulation (& lightening). Installed a mini eyeball vent behind iPad. Pointed vent at back of RAM mount/iPad and no more going out due to temperature. See earlier conversation on this topic.

[/url]https://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/small-air-vent.55512/

Never had that ipad shutdown problem - yet.

My aircraft is a low wing, bubble canopy - very infrequent iPad overheating tended to occur when cold & sunny. Cold - all vents shut, Sunny - rays blazing in on the iPad minimal air circulation, black cover on iPad, iPad operating with high energy demand (OzRnwys) = heat.

What a useful discussion! These days we have become pretty dependent on the tablet, maybe too much so.

On a recent trip one of our group lost power in his iPad and, without a paper map, tried to stay on track via his GPS unit. Lots of chatter on the numbers guided him in.

My 7-year-old iPad is still going strong and hasn't overheated yet, but it's current housing has a clear lexan rear cover that prevents ventilation. I might drill lots of holes to allow airflow.

It's been mounted in several different spots in my tiny cockpit. Horizontal next to my right leg was the most convenient, but I had to rig up a cardboard shade to reduce sky glare on the screen, and it still copped lots of sun. It now slides into a cradle hinged under the panel. It swings down between my knees, just in reach and out of the sun.

Interestingly, OzRunways uses more than the 1.2A in-flight charger can keep up with, so it's flat after about two hours.

• Informative 1

I’ve made an aluminium knee board with a hinged cover. The design allows it to work as a heat sink and the cover keeps the sun off it when I’m not viewing it. I have left it plain aluminium finish to reflect heat. When I used the old black leather type I had it shut down due to heat several times even in a Drifter.

I tend to use it like a map, get a heading and fly it, checking my position against the map every so often , so it’s not on all the time

• Like 2

Interestingly, OzRunways uses more than the 1.2A in-flight charger can keep up with, so it's flat after about two hours.

It is mostly the screen that uses the power and produces the heat I think.

Dimming the screen to the lowest setting where you can still see it will help.

My tablet would not charge effectively inflight with a cheap usb adapter. I purchased a more expensive one with a 2.4 A outlet and now it can operate and gain charge at the same time.

You may have to use a genuine charge cable too, as some of the generic replacement cables aren't wired correctly to sense the amps/power available.

Interesting, Downunder.

I presume shutting it down and switching it back on when needed would use more power than it would save-

not to mention causing too much distraction from eyes outside.

I need full screen brightness, but would welcome a quick wake-up and auto-dark option to save power.

I have used generic adapters but went back to the standard Apple charger (which is rated at 1.2A) to solve a radio interference issue.

Maybe newer models can cope with 2.4A, but I wouldn't like to risk it with my old iPad.

Interesting, Downunder.

I presume shutting it down and switching it back on when needed would use more power than it would save-

not to mention causing too much distraction from eyes outside.

I need full screen brightness, but would welcome a quick wake-up and auto-dark option to save power.

AVPlan on my iPad mini has a screen fade-to-black function which you can set between 1 and 20 minutes - just tap the screen to get the display back.

I find it works well as I only check the magenta line etc every so often anyway.

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 1

Doesn't tapping the top right button turn the screen on and off? It does on mine. One good tip I have learned is to lock the screen. Then if you touch the screen you don't get something unwanted pop up. It still keeps centering on your location.

One problem I have is that if I turn on the iPad in flight it often starts with the screen dimmed and tapping the screen doesn't necessarily brighten it. I then have to tap the screen brightness button, find the slider and work it, all in a bright cockpit and nothing visible on the screen. That is probably my iPad going bad and another thing it does is it will not get area forecasts off NAIPS. Gets everything else and I have checked my password is OK.

Seems a bit odd , you have this expensive device that gives you real time navigation information, recent time weather & traffic and then .......... you turn it of ????

Doesn't seem like a viable long term solution (to overheating) to me.