The birds, boss, the birds!

Thx1137

I was doing an hour of solo circuits in a J160 today when about half way though I saw a bunch of birds (small and dark coloured so sparrows I think). Man, they appeared out of nowhere fast. It took no more than three seconds before we had past each other

They were flying in a haphazard way (different birds were going to different heights and headings) so it was hard to judge exactly where they were going to be. I was bracketed on at least three sides however I think they were getting out of my way (none came barrelling towards the windscreen) so I didn't try anything evasive.

I have had two flights now where I saw eagles and they was majestic (although I swear that on the second occasion it curved towards me for a second before resuming its original flight path), these guys were just "*oh dear! where did you guys come from and where are you going!"

Even though I don't think any got real close, that added a little excitement to the circuits and illustrated that sometimes there is not a lot of time to make decisions! :-)

Steven.

* I think I though something other than "oh dear" :-)

Birds, especially the bigger variety do tend to grab your attention.

I used to fly right hand seat with a mate on charters and parcel runs and naturally didn't need to be asked twice to lend a hand on the yoke. On one occasion, after monitoring my takeoff in a 402, my mate had his head down, fiddling with something when a vulture dropped into view dead ahead and not too many feet distant. I rolled right about as fast as she would go, of course by the time old mate got his eyes outside, the bird was nowhere to be seen. To this day he is isn't quite sure whether I was telling the truth or just trying to scare the poo out of him!

We also used to fly paragliders near a nesting site for yellow billed kites at one stage, never had any drama with them, even ridgesoaring close by, however woe betide anyone who came within 50m of them on foot. Quite something to share the airspace with them.

I once saw a very low flying helicopter, at least that was my first impression, but it was a flock of fairly big waterbirds, possibly pelicans over a dam. They looked just like a rotor turning. I have shared a thermal with an eagle in a glider, first in decides which directon to turn.

Hi all, i took the misses to murwillumba from boonah, a few months ago, after getting down below 1500 feet (because of Cooly control zone). This eagle appeared from the left at my height. Only fifty feet away , i though he was going to attack the plane.

Over the last coupla months, we've had a lot of birds in the grass at the northern end of 36R - fortunately not normally used for takeoffs but when disturbed quite a flock.

Dunno which was worse, the birds there or the lake at the end of 36L! Have also seen a few ibis at 1000ft in the circuit.

I passed an eagle flying in the opposite direction to me, it did not seem to have any understanding that on that heading it should have been at 1500 or 3500 feet!

Cameron I hope you left the Gazelle in good condition, I am doing a x country to Goulburn tomorrow if the weather is ok.

Not much more than a km away to the beginning of runway 11L at Bankstown there's a colony of resident ibis's which number in the many thousands, and surely are a potential safety risk.

At the oposite end of the runway, there is a pidgeon fancier who lets out probably 50 or so birds for a fly around:hittinghead:, which i've seen on several occasions flying so dangerously close to aircraft on their initial climb.

To allow potential risks like this in such close proximity to an airport seems crazy, and probably nothing will be done until there's an unfortunate accident.

At least the big ones are easier to see. That is what got me about these guys. The eagles I spotted in plenty of time to do something if I felt the need. Not these guys.

On take off would be particularly hairy. Not a lot of options if you see them heading towards you.

Wedgetails can be encountered very high too. Passed one at 8500 just east of Cunderdin tracking toward Perth several years back in a C182 - and it was around 5pm - well after I'd have thought the good lift had finished. So, when RAAus are officially able to fly over 5000 - don't assume the wedgies won't be up there.

happy days,

5,000 feet, even 10,000 feet not an issue when it comes to bird strikes!

While most birds fly below 2,500 feet, I think the highest recorded bird strike was a vulture at 37,000 feet - beats me how the buggers can survive at that pressure and temperature! The US Navy has reported sightings at 54,000 feet!

Guest Walter Buschor

Like all of us I get close " encounters" with birds a lot. I must say though that I can spot them on "nearly" all occasions. So if we look out for them they can be seen - and avoided - exept in the circuit . On the topic of eagles - some will have a go at us to protect their young!!. This has not happened to me but others I have spoken to have some stories to tell.

I've been told to pull up and out of their way since a bird can do everything better than us - exept climb. Should we however be so unlucky as to actually hit an eagle than it's probably goodbye beautiful world in an RAA aircraft.

So avoid the buggers and keep a look-out.

safe flying

Walter