Hi New Member

jackc

Hi Everyone,

Well, here I am to start a new era in my life, since I am retired from the Radio Comms industry. Another goal to achieve and another item to cross off my bucket list!  So last week I did a TIF at Coffs Harbour in an Aeroprakt Vixxen and continued on for 5 hours or so training over the rest of the week.  My longest flight time was 1.8 hours and I guess the instructor was trying me out to see IF I had a chance to make the grade.  I have to say it was the best week I have had in a long time.

I did 3 hours classroom time as well.  The plan is to go back to Coffs Harbour for  10 days or so and run up more training hours and keep up this regime through the winter. Fortunately the Vixxen has a full complement of steam gauges and no glass panel I need to throw rocks at ?

I have done  previous training in gliders, however at my age I have found the groundhandling regime too hard for me in the hot Sun, so I abandoned the idea. At the same time I am bringing my era of 50 years motorcycling to an end as well.  Picking up a BMW 1200 HP2 if it falls over, I cant do anymore ?

So it’s onwards and upwards, even to the point of measuring out an airstrip on my property, herein after called a fire break!  Time to fuel up my bulldozer and other machines and get to work,  construction of a machinery shed too, for an obvious reason.

My aircraft of choice is a Foxbat “Kelpie” although I am looking at what else is out there.

Gathering much good knowledge reading the forums, won’t post much as I have little knowledge to offer right now.

Cheers,

Jack C

(25km SSW Of Rockhampton)

• Like 9

yeah,

Im both similar and also at the opposite end of the spectrum.

A keen Motorcyclist and about 5 hours into flight training, but a young fella (late 20's) who is still advancing through a career,

wish I had the Time and Funds to learn to fly in the way you are, different advantages in the stage of life. look forward to seeing how it turns out for you.

As for the bikes, well I struggle picking up my Vstrom 1000 alone. best not to be in that situation if you can avoid it, or ride with friends.

no reason to stop riding - there is always a solution, even if it means smaller lighter bikes. (love, my Ducati Monster because it's small and light)

• Agree 1

Rode my daughters Monster in SE France. Driving on the right, steep drops with no barriers. Scared the sh... out of me. Went back to her house with my tail between my legs.

The MAIN thing is that you managed to preserve your tail for future use.  Magnifique Mon Ami. . . .

Hi Everyone,

Well, here I am to start a new era in my life, since I am retired from the Radio Comms industry. Another goal to achieve and another item to cross off my bucket list!  So last week I did a TIF at Coffs Harbour in an Aeroprakt Vixxen and continued on for 5 hours or so training over the rest of the week.  My longest flight time was 1.8 hours and I guess the instructor was trying me out to see IF I had a chance to make the grade.  I have to say it was the best week I have had in a long time.

I did 3 hours classroom time as well.  The plan is to go back to Coffs Harbour for  10 days or so and run up more training hours and keep up this regime through the winter. Fortunately the Vixxen has a full complement of steam gauges and no glass panel I need to throw rocks at ?

I have done  previous training in gliders, however at my age I have found the groundhandling regime too hard for me in the hot Sun, so I abandoned the idea. At the same time I am bringing my era of 50 years motorcycling to an end as well.  Picking up a BMW 1200 HP2 if it falls over, I cant do anymore ?

So it’s onwards and upwards, even to the point of measuring out an airstrip on my property, herein after called a fire break!  Time to fuel up my bulldozer and other machines and get to work,  construction of a machinery shed too, for an obvious reason.

My aircraft of choice is a Foxbat “Kelpie” although I am looking at what else is out there.

Gathering much good knowledge reading the forums, won’t post much as I have little knowledge to offer right now.

Cheers,

Jack C

(25km SSW Of Rockhampton)

Welcome Jack. . .I've had a ride in the Demonstrator Vixxen at our airfield . . .Lovely aeroplane. . . shame I haven't the dollars to buy one on a pension ! . 098_welcome.gif.3d5ee1df950cced34f20fdc54b4337e6.gif  

• Agree 1

Rode my daughters Monster in SE France. Driving on the right, steep drops with no barriers. Scared the sh... out of me. Went back to her house with my tail between my legs.

I have survived multiple trips riding in South Africa, Swaziland, Namibia and Botswana on our BMW 1200GS with my wife on the back.

Having tempted fate in my life already, it’s time to move on but I will keep my Vespa 300GTS Super, though ?

Cheers,

Jack.

• Like 1

Welcome Jack. . .I've had a ride in the Demonstrator Vixxen at our airfield . . .Lovely aeroplane. . . shame I haven't the dollars to buy one on a pension ! . 098_welcome.gif.3d5ee1df950cced34f20fdc54b4337e6.gif  

Coffs Harbour had the only Vixxen I could find with a BRS.  Bonus was all steam gauges too!  Love learning to fly it and have a great instructor, too ?

Cheers,

Jack.

Coffs Harbour had the only Vixxen I could find with a BRS.  Bonus was all steam gauges too!  Love learning to fly it and have a great instructor, too ?

Cheers,

Jack.

OK, Jack,. . . Sounds good.  I gather that you are not fond of Glass Cockpits. . .LOL I know a few old hands who agree with that.   I love the technology though,. . mate of mine has an Evektor Eurostar ( similar the the Aus SportStar ) which is mainly Electronic.  The instructors in the UK are now teaching Cross country using GPS, rather than the old Maps and wind drift calcs, mainly due to the rather worrying increase in Controlled Airspace infringements. . . although the pilot MUST carry a current Nav chart wherever he flies.. . . I dunno if this is a good or bad thing,. . .but keeping Toy aeroplanes away from conflict with Commercial traffic cannot be a bad idea really. and the trend is still rising monthly. . . 

Matey's Eurostar has Pilot Aware moving map, Flarm, ( to detect Gliders ) coupled Mode S transponder with ADSB and TCAS. . . . and all he does is fly around the local cabbage patch and rarely goes anywhere, apart from to the local licenced airport for breakfast and a coffee ( 19 NM each way )  VERY nervous flier. . dunno why he doesnt' just flog the plane and buy a fancy motorhome with a jetski on the back. . . .but HEY,. . I get free flying with him as he likes an experienced old boy as company. . . 

Phil.

• Agree 1

Welcome Jack. At 25 SSW of Rocky, you are not far from Old Station but are you on the Mt Morgan Rd. If so there are other pilots near you. Let us know how your strip is coming along.

• Agree 1

Welcome Jack. At 25 SSW of Rocky, you are not far from Old Station but are you on the Mt Morgan Rd. If so there are other pilots near you. Let us know how your strip is coming along.

Located Bouldercombe on a small property,  planning to start work on the  “firebreak” over the winter,  need to organise the “machinery” shed as well ?

Cheers,

Jack.

• 2 weeks later...

I love some of the French road signs . . .they are 'Animated' showing that there is a sudden bend ahead,. . . followed by a steep descent. . . INCREDIBLY USEFUL ON A BIKE. . .never seen these anywhere else in the world. . . I also appreciated the black painted metal 'Human' sized figures mounted at the side of the roads,. . indicating where someone had died . . .made you Think. . .   French Black tops are the smoothest roads that I HAVE EVER RIDDEN ON. . . 

French Black tops are the smoothest roads that I HAVE EVER RIDDEN ON. . . 

Plus most of the newer roads have constant radius bends, so you set your lean angle & go for it. I also found French car drivers to be very sympathetic to bikers, unlike just about every UK cage driver.

• Agree 1