How do I remember when to change frequencies?

Hi. I have done about four LSA navs so far. I keep forgetting when to change the frequencies. Possible solutions that I can think off is to do the CLEAROFF check every couple of mintues and marking on the map in advance when to change to what frequency, or putting it on the flight plan where you mark down your altitudes and headings. Ideas? (CLEAROFF, in case you use a different acronym, is

C Compass: DG

L Log: ETA, ETD, SAR

E Engine gauges

A Altitude: QNH, plan, cloud

R Radio frequency

O Orientation (location)

F Fuel: amount and tank

F Forced landing spot)??

• Like 1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Machtuk

.....or like most seem to do these days look at the top R/H corner of OzRwy's, the freq is automatically displayed as you traverse the land? BUT the info is right there on the appropriate chart/s?

Probably not valid for your training purposes but I put and name waypoints on my ozrunways "magenta line" with the required area frequency.....easy to see as you are passing through and change on the radio as required.

• Like 3

As I am learning, I don't use GPS at all.

The line could be on your EFB map or your paper map, it doesn't matter. If you know where you are on the map by reading map to ground and ground to map you will know when you are about to cross a frequency boundary because you will be crossing a line on your map.

I write the distance from the next way point in the right margin. Also do this for ToD. As has been said, you should always know exactly where you are even without a GPS. Then when you depart and you get your log happening you'll know what time these events will occur.

Eg. ML 135.25 YORG -35, 04 (Station, Freq, WPT, distance out, ETA)

YORG TOD -17, 16

I'm still at the stage where I find myself saying "wow! I'm sitting in a chair ...in the sky!"

Its about that time I go through my CLEAROFF checks. Its supposed to be every waypoint or 30 minutes. Since I got reprimanded for not noticing when the radio went quiet and not figuring out I went over a frequency boundary, its more like every 10 minutes. This gives me two chances to stuff it up.

Instructors drive me mad. Every time I get good at something ... and I mean every time ... they chuck in some meaningless distraction. This is quite deliberate because the desired outcome if to be able to conduct a safe flight in spite of the threats and errors.

For example I now call out fuel state, selected tank, if it is the fullest and the total flight time on the ADF clock.

If the clock has a multiple of 30 minutes on it I hit the electric pump and change to the fullest tank. If I miss a check it will be for ten minutes or one circuit.

I have started using midfield joins to initiate downwind checks.

Its a damn pain and it drives instructors mad. It feels like a cold war ... nope, missed your downwind checks because we went around and did an unfamiliar join, sorry no solo flying for you see you next week bring more money.

I'm not criticizing the instructors. This is a valuable lesson because if I crack this the PPL practical exam will be a doddle. Then I can replace "malicious instructor" with "idiot noob non-pilot passenger" and still be safe.

I'm now at the stage where I will do whatever I can to thwart my instructor and I am getting creative. Payback. It is what it is.

Edited by mnewbery
  • Like 1

Guest Machtuk

I'm still at the stage where I find myself saying "wow! I'm sitting in a chair ...in the sky!"

Its about that time I go through my CLEAROFF checks. Its supposed to be every waypoint or 30 minutes. Since I got reprimanded for not noticing when the radio went quiet and not figuring out I went over a frequency boundary, its more like every 10 minutes. This gives me two chances to stuff it up.

Instructors drive me mad. Every time I get good at something ... and I mean every time ... they chuck in some meaningless distraction. This is quite deliberate because the desired outcome if to be able to conduct a safe flight in spite of the threats and errors.

For example I now call out fuel state, selected tank, if it is the fullest and the total flight time on the ADF clock.

If the clock has a multiple of 30 minutes on it I hit the electric pump and change to the fullest tank. If I miss a check it will be for ten minutes or one circuit.

I have started using midfield joins to initiate downwind checks.

Its a damn pain and it drives instructors mad. It feels like a cold war ... nope, missed your downwind checks because we went around and did an unfamiliar join, sorry no solo flying for you see you next week bring more money.

I'm not criticizing the instructors. This is a valuable lesson because if I crack this because the PPL practical exam will be a doddle. Then I can replace "malicious instructor" with "idiot noob non-pilot passenger" and still be safe.

I'm now at the stage where I will do whatever I can to thwart my instructor and I am getting creative. Payback. It is what it is.

Instructors from basic GA to Airline level vary a LOT! You ought to see some of the egotistical instructors at the top end, some are unbelievable! Mates for mates exists big time as well! Keep doing the tasks as they want you to, it's a game to some! You only truly learn once the dead weight is removed from the cockpit ??

You only truly learn once the dead weight is removed from the cockpit

I get that and my "solo hours" is something greater than zero. I also have a RAA pax endorsement. I suppose one difference is that the instructor is in the unenviable situation where a student can do a PPL in the morning then legally send themselves and three or more of their closest non-pilot friends to a blazing demise in the afternoon. More risk often results in more formality. I'm also looking at my AFR theory exam today. Its ... ummm ... comprehensive?

I get that and my "solo hours" is something greater than zero. I also have a RAA pax endorsement. I suppose one difference is that the instructor is in the unenviable situation where a student can do a PPL in the morning then legally send themselves and three or more of their closest non-pilot friends to a blazing demise in the afternoon. More risk often results in more formality. I'm also looking at my AFR theory exam today. Its ... ummm ... comprehensive?

Ok with a buttttt you need to be enjoying it as well. You are paying a small fortune for the privilege you need to be enjoying it. I have seen both sides of the track. Military trained where every flight had to be perfect where you were never more than 2 flights from a scrub ride... to instructing in GA where the stud is paying and has different motivation. Talk to your instructor, they are human they actually enjoy what they are doing. It’s OK to change if you are clashing.... It’s hard to stay motivated if you are not enjoying it!!!

• Like 2