How sweet they are!!!

Guest waynos

• 4 months later...
Guest rrutkf_4

I don't know what kind you have but the standard marking system is usually 1.5 deg/sec for the first mark (half standard rate instrument flight turn) and 3 deg/sec (standard instrument flight turn rate) probably a 15 deg bank turn in the Sportstar. A thirty or 60 deg bank turn will drive the instrument into its limits. The turn indicator is a rate of turn instrument not an attitude instrument.

• 7 months later...

Anyone who can contain themselves to rate 1 turns in a SportStar is a model of self control. Personally, I've got used very quickly to 80 degree banked turns "because I can".

She is such a beautiful little aircraft and makes me feel like a fighter ace.

Today was a good test. Wind 180 at 14 kts on the ground. Runway 21, so only a few kts of left x-wind for takeoff. At about 300 feet we ran into a washing machine of shear. I found full aileron each side several times, and I estimate the wind at 500 feet as about 50 kts. Definitely NOT fun, but the SportStar handled it with aplomb. I was NOT having fun, and I was VERY glad to get back into ground effect for landing.

Still, it was a great experience, and I was delighted with the way little "Dimples" handled herself in bloody rough conditions.

Gregg

Steep turns a good fun and with practice become easy, but twice recently I have seen posts mentioning angles of bank above 60 deg.

Any banked turn above 60 deg is considered to be an aerobatic manouvre, so don't boast about it. Our boasting about stretching the rules makes it easier for young or inexperienced pilots to copy and get into strife.

Of course I may have misread both posts and you were referring to the change of direction.

• 1 month later...
Guest browng
I've got used very quickly to 80 degree banked turns "because I can".

I don't want to seem presumptuous in a first post, but you are aware that you can easily break your aircraft and die doing 80deg turns? The load factor in a 60deg coordinated level turn is 2g, but an 80-degree-bank turn requires 5.76g at a constant altitude with coordinated rudder. That well exceeds the structural load limits of your aircraft. Further, to maintain a level 80deg turn will increase your stalling speed to over 100knots. Loss of control in steep turns due to a high speed stall, flick and spin, is one of the biggest killers in aviation........

How very true, and that is only theory, it will probably result in more G than that. How do you measure angle of bank? I think most of us tend to overestimate it as I regularly fly steep turns but I know anything over 3G is too uncomfortable for me, so it is unlikely I am much steeper than 60 deg.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

As of late July 2012, there are 52 SportStars and Harmonys registered in Australia - either with CASA as VH- or with RA-Aus as 24-. I maintain registration records and owner files, so I know the exact number. Tracking them via CASA or RA-Aus is tricky as it depends who entered them into the system - different people at CASA and RA-Aus seem to use different ways. So they are registered as any (and sometimes several) of the following: Silverwing, Evektor, SportStar, Harmony, EV95, Eurostar (there are no Eurostars actually in Australia) etc etc. There's even one Evektor Foxbat listed.......