How to join the Caterpillar Club

Those old parachutes, made of silk, cotton etc, were theoretically vulnerable to mildew and rot, hence the routine inspection and repacking.

With modern synthetic parachutes, there is probably no reason to be continuing that practise, (though a few folk making a few $$$ doing it would probably disagree).

Be interesting to know how many caterpillar recipients actually counted nonchalantly to 10???

Be interesting to know how many caterpillar recipients actually counted nonchalantly to 10???

I have read several accounts where they have waited even longer. When bailing over hostile territory, they knew they were an easy target under canopy and tried to leave it as late as possible.

I have read several accounts where they have waited even longer. When bailing over hostile territory, they knew they were an easy target under canopy and tried to leave it as late as possible.

That would take courage and presence of mind.

Perhaps also aircrew might have discussed their best options, informally or otherwise: it helps greatly to have a clear idea of your procedure for emergency events, rather than working it out when the time comes.......

A parachutist falls at about 1000 feet per minute so jumping out at 30000’ would take 30 minutes to the ground if the chute opened straight away...and the parachutist would probably be dead from hypoxia.

terminal velocity for a falling body is about 120 mph or about 180 FPS so a jumper at 30000 would theoretically time a free fall of about  80 seconds then full the cord.

i just read of a Hurricane pilot who,did,just that.

kaz

Sounds about right, kaz.

Rough rule of thumb is 10sec for the first 1000ft, 5 sec per 1000ft thereafter.

So from 30000ft, you could fall for a very long 140sec, and still be open half a mile high.

I believe that a long free fall is normal tactics for SAS-type operatives. To evade detection, RSA troops dropped at night into Namibia to battle SWAPO guerillas would jump from very high, free fall until very late, then pop the chute.

That would require more coolness under pressure than most of us have.

The general rule of thumb is, when the trees/fenceposts/telegraph poles begin to visibly spread out...you're lower than normal sport opening height and it's time to get on with it...)

Prior to that, the 'spreading' out appears very slow. Believe me, you'll know when it speeds up, provided you are at terminal velocity.