ICOM BC-179 Charging

I have a near new ICOM BC-179 - very nice ! 

The  transever came with a charging station (BC-179) and a charger (BC-147SV) 240V input - output 12v 0.25amp. The charging unit plugs into the station with one of those little round silver female plug things.

If I were to plug in a an automotive 12 volt charger to my aircraft power , with the same output & connect it to the cradle would it :

• Damage my ICOM?

• Charge my ICOM?

If the above is not feasible :

Is there a 12 volt car type charger that will safely charge my ICOM?

NOOOOOO  the BC179 has electronics in it to charge the correct chemistry in the battery. NEVER leave the radio ON when in the charger..always have it turned off while in the charger.

If you want to power the radio via your 12V in the aircraft from memory Icom make a special charger/supply for that. I think its around 6V out for the battery

Thanks guys - 

Kyle - Yep! I knew about the turn radio off when charging .  Are you sure the BC -179 (charge station/cradle) has gizmos in it rather than the BC-147SV (charger) itself - could be both I suppose. What do you mean by "6V out for the battery"?

Downunder - that looks pretty much like what I will need for extended  away trips.

From memory the battery or the radio to be exact runs on a 6volt DC separate supply module that Icom sells....you used to be able to buy a "dummy" battery that had a 12v cig lighter plug on it and you just slid it onto the radio. Basically inside it just has a regulator to drop from 12v down to 6V to power the radio just like a battery

I notice that the BC 147SV charger  has a donut/ballast? ring close to the transformer . The CP 22 12 volt charger also has a similar structure but near the plug into charge station end. Any explanations/speculations?/

The  transever came with a charging station (BC-179) and a charger (BC-147SV) 240V input - output 12v 0.25amp.

If I were to plug in a an automotive 12 volt charger to my aircraft power ,

12 volts are always 12 volts. Cradle will work as intended. Do not rely on it as on standby power, it is not designed for this, but as charger - it does not matter where you took these 12V, from mains adapter or from 12-14V board system of car or plane.

Donut ballast is for high frequency suppression. Surges, spikes etc, usually appearing when you disconnect some big inductive load (solenoids, motors etc). Generally useless.