Import cost

John Raison

• 2 weeks later...

10% GST + Freight, and this is the killer...When I imported my tail-kit (another aircraft) I shared the container with several other builders importing stuff and split the freight...tail-kit was $1500 + GST + Freight came out to about $2400. As a W.A.G I reckon you would be looking at about 3-4000 for freight to a port, then more to get it to you

Actually its more than that

Its the cost of the kit plus the freight cost plus a whole heap of ripoff port charges that amount to a fair amount of money if the container is bought in LCL (loose container load) because you get charged about $105 per cubic metre to have the container unloaded because you can not unload it the port does that as you are not allowed to also you have automated sea cargo charges AQIS charges entry fees customs fees etc etc THEN you add the 10% gst on top of all that. if you have a FCL (full container load) then you will have to get the container delivered to somewhere then you unload it but you will be charged to get that container to that place then you unload it and the container is picked up a short time later

Mark

Freight charges are the worse, my container cost AU$4600 to deliver the container 100miles from the port in the US to get loaded, pickup after 4 days and delivered to Brisbane in Aus. It was about $1800 to deliver the container from the ship in port to the AQIS unpack site and back to the port.

Anything to do with sea shipping in Australia is a ripoff, you can blame Howard for properly reforming the ports when he shut them down to clean out the unions

I've just imported part of a Vans kit by sea to Fremantle. One large crate worth $10,500 AUD.

Costs were:

Admin fees (9 different charges) $185

Customs clearance and agents fees $220

Port charges $195

International freight $370

Destination customs GST $1225

Extra GST $55

rgmwa

that's alright, who was that through? how large was the box?

2.5m x 1.25m x 0.7m 170kg. Shipping arranged by Vans via Geo. Bush and AGS World Transport (in Aus). Also had to pay another $250 or so to Vans for taking the crate from their factory to the shipping terminal. That for a USD$10,500 order, not AUD.

rgmwa

about $2500 all up, how long did it take to get here?

Vans signed their paperwork on 22 Jan. I've just been told by AGS that it's going through customs now, so I should be picking it up next week. That will make it about 9 weeks from start to finish. I wasn't in a hurry, but you might also want to look into airfreight. I'm told it may not be that much more expensive, but I don't have any figures.

rgmwa

I just checked my answering machine, when I got home from Fed Ex. I unfortunately missed a message left on friday the 18th.Anyway, the tools I have ordered from Avery Tools are currently on there way back to the USA. Because I had until yesterday to pay $551.91 for duty Gst ect to customs . I rang Fed Ex and asked them when did the Tools arrived? They said on the 10th of march.I asked why it had taken so long to ring me.They said "we your number was wrong and we had too find your number through the phone book. I said what was the number they said 0061 07 55 620 420. I said thats correct - 0061 is prefix for Australia. The rest is also correct.They said Oh yea.

At the end of the day, it is my fault for not checking my answering machine.I would have plenty of time to pay it over the weekend.

Morale of the story- Make sure you are contactable when receiving you Kit or tools that you are importing. Or customs will sent the stuff back to the sender after two weeks.Cheers

Dazza

Actually for Fedex to ring you the number string for them is 00 61 7 55620420 or +61755620420 they dont put the 0 in front of the 7 thats why they wont get you...its std international dialling. For that sort of money its pretty steep unless that included the freight cost of course otherwise that over $5000 worth of tools

Mark

Hi Kyle the tools where $2400 US.The AUS- charge of $500 odd it is Gst $240 plus duty 5% plus customs charges I think.Anyway Its my fault for not checking my answering machine. I still would have had 3 days to paid the five hundred odd. Thanks for the info.So now Im going have to pay for freight again there and back.These things happen I guess live and learn.

Ps- shipping costs are $200 US

I do a lot of importing from all over the world for my business and personal projects mainly airfreight but this past 2 years I have been doing seafreight LCL for CNC machines which are 850kg each and we all get caught from time to time. My first seacargo shipment I got caught on some of the "extra" costs they dont really tell you about. Airfright by fedex or others is usually pretty seamless but stuff ups can occur at times but it can become a expensive lesson. Rule number 1 in any overseas import is they all have tracking number or waybill numbers and most of the bigger players have tracking sites. I ALWAYS track every parcel or shipment to see where it is because if it has been held up for some reason you will have a exception on the tracking site and you chase it up. When it comes back make sure you get the tracking number and follow it through the process you shouldnt get caught at all then

By dealing with fedex or UPS or DHL or TNT etc they make it easy...it wasnt that long ago when a shipment came you had to front up at customs and do your own entry paperwork complete with all the codes you need...the people behind the counter went out of their way NOT to be helpfull...many will know what I am talking about if they used to do it this way. I now use the fright or import forwarders sevices as it makes for a lot less stress and anger

Mark

I do a lot of importing from all over the world for my business and personal projects mainly airfreight but this past 2 years I have been doing seafreight LCL for CNC machines which are 850kg each and we all get caught from time to time. My first seacargo shipment I got caught on some of the "extra" costs they dont really tell you about. Airfright by fedex or others is usually pretty seamless but stuff ups can occur at times but it can become a expensive lesson. Rule number 1 in any overseas import is they all have tracking number or waybill numbers and most of the bigger players have tracking sites. I ALWAYS track every parcel or shipment to see where it is because if it has been held up for some reason you will have a exception on the tracking site and you chase it up. When it comes back make sure you get the tracking number and follow it through the process you shouldnt get caught at all thenBy dealing with fedex or UPS or DHL or TNT etc they make it easy...it wasnt that long ago when a shipment came you had to front up at customs and do your own entry paperwork complete with all the codes you need...the people behind the counter went out of their way NOT to be helpfull...many will know what I am talking about if they used to do it this way. I now use the fright or import forwarders sevices as it makes for a lot less stress and anger

Mark

Hi Mark this is where i partly came undone.I received a email from Averies with my details but no Tracking number.I actualy thought it was coming via UPS international.I have been to their site a few times but couldnt do anything because i didnt have a tracking number. It was news to me when i got a message from Fed ex.When i have bought other things from over seas I have got a tracking number which I have looked up to see where my goods are. They have my email address which i check everyday I though they would have emailed when it arrived. The trouble here was that customs wouldnt release the tools to Fed ex here in Aus, because I hadnt paid their fee. Im dont have much experience in this kid of stuff.I thought the stuff would turn up and then get a bill from customs.

The last time I brought stuff in from overseas was when I came back from Saudi Arabia, I shipped back a TV, clothes etc.It came back via Malaysian Airlines. I received a call from either Customs or the Airline, cant remember who,drove to brissy airport, got the run around . Ended up with my box that had not even been cleared with customs.They just said take it.They were not to concern because it came from Saudi.Long story but it was like - go there to this wharehouse with paper work i went there and they said, it not ready, it hasnt been cleared. I said I got this phone call and address to come here. They said drive around to the other side of the airfield, its still at customs.Which i did , with the paperwork. They said it not cleared yet I said no **** i was just told that, i have just came up from the Gold Coast. They said hang on, they got it, un opened and gave it to me.

This was 1999. I think it was easier then when customs was full of Australians, not full of imports like now.LOL

Ps- The reason I say Imports is because I get a Laugh out of "Border Security" the TV show. Its Like "Spot the Aussie". Just humour dont anyone take it to heart anybody reading this.

hahahah dazza dont worry I have done that too...I was laughing reading your post because it does bring back all those bad memories...one thing make sure you find out exactly who its coming by UPS (United parcel Service) or USPS (United States postal service) Its a trap although both do have tracking services I have found the USPS service is crap it never seems to find my tracking number but UPS is fine...as I said before always get a tracking number for international shipments then at least you can get someone by the short and curlies at this end and apply the pressure

Mark

hahahah dazza dont worry I have done that too...I was laughing reading your post because it does bring back all those bad memories...one thing make sure you find out exactly who its coming by UPS (United parcel Service) or USPS (United States postal service) Its a trap although both do have tracking services I have found the USPS service is crap it never seems to find my tracking number but UPS is fine...as I said before always get a tracking number for international shipments then at least you can get someone by the short and curlies at this end and apply the pressureMark

Hi Mark, I emailed Avary last night and they have already emailed me back.Vikie there is not happy with the shipping company because they are supposed to contact them if they where having trouble contacting me, Avary had my email address.Anyway thankyou for the advice I will make sure I get a tracking number when they resend the tools.She is going to email me when she resends them.

Im still very annoyed at myself, Fed Ex left 6 messages on my answering machine over the 3 days.Silly me forgot to check it. It could have been worse it has only cost me another $189 US and about 9 weeks until they come back here.Cheers

I must say, the way the dollar is (currently 1.02, and rising), I am seriously considering bringing a plane back in a container from the U.S. Has anyone done this and give me some advice? My mother works for DHL, but she has been in the import/export shipping arena for decades. She got me a price of $4800 for a 20 footer from Florida to Melbourne, which I thought was good. Anyway, you seem to be able to get more for your money over there, even after shipping costs!