Is there a decent set of landing lights with wig-wag for Jabirus

JabiruWeekendWarrior

Hi folks, I own a J160 and have a question for actual Jabiru J160, J170 owners, Not Jabiru bashers.

Im looking around for landing lights to have fitted that does not require cutting large holes in leading edges of wings.

To keep power consumption down I was thinking about LED versions, as I have standard generator.

Im looking around for value for money ,not $1000's of dollars just because they will be attached to a aircraft.

Is there a decent set of landing lights with wig-wag that can be fitted to a "24" registered that wont effect certification?

Does someone out there have some fitted so I can see how the look fitted?

Is there a decent set of landing lights with wig-wag that can be fitted to a "24" registered that wont effect certification?

Does someone out there have some fitted so I can see how the look fitted?

There's a pretty good US product that Ian may be able to supply through the ClearProp Shop. See this youtube video:

Eighty Knots, thank you for the video link.

I have already purchase the "Crazed pilot" version of LED strobe/landing but not keen on these.

The LED case is not very durable and they are not weather/water proof.

Later I found there is an ebay seller selling similar product for fraction of the price.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Set-Car-22-LED-Flashing-Emergency-Strobe-Flash-Light-/400309664109?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d3450b96d

Water proof lighting is required, Sometimes we need to fly through a light shower or wash the plane without damaging the lighting/strobe systems.

The Aeroleds look good, I will have a better look at their site.

JWW

I don't have access to U tube to look at the links but i know that Jabiru do fit Landing Lights to some of the J230 and 430 versions that are night rated.

The light clamps to the top of the wing strut just under the wing and wraps around the strut. Not sure of the quality but i have seen a few of them fitted.

A quick call to them would clear up the questions.

On the Jabiru website there is a picture of a J230 showing this light on in the Factory Built Aircraft section under the J230. Scroll down the page and you will see the light under the wing at the top of the strut.

Hope this helps.

Safe Flying

JabSP6

• Like 1

JWW we use a hella marine deck light fitted under the front cowl, it is bright and weather proof and it cost about $180, it would be about the same size as what is shown in the video.

If you got two lights, you could run them through a relay using a flasher can to make them alternate.

Just an idea

2097185629_hellamarineLEDlight.jpg.9053695cb05b0c5c62b8452e57277ce2.jpg

Brian

• Like 1

I have the standard light fitted as an extra by the factory.

It is a standard "down light"

I have replaced the bulb after it blew with the newer LED downlights - greater vis but they create radio interference

I read where a 10nf cap across the bulb connections fixes this. But NO it made no difference. Two ferrite cores around the power cable has made it acceptable but a courser setting on the squelch setting is still required.

Less current for a brighter light but has a downside with the RF interference.

I will be interested to hear other experiences if they are different to mine.

FrankM

JWW we use a hella marine deck light fitted under the front cowl, it is bright and weather proof and it cost about $180, it would be about the same size as what is shown in the video.If you got two lights, you could run them through a relay using a flasher can to make them alternate.

Just an idea

(Brilian_air) Brian, can you post a photo so I can see what your setup looks like?

JWW

JWWI don't have access to U tube to look at the links but i know that Jabiru do fit Landing Lights to some of the J230 and 430 versions that are night rated.

The light clamps to the top of the wing strut just under the wing and wraps around the strut. Not sure of the quality but i have seen a few of them fitted.

A quick call to them would clear up the questions.

On the Jabiru website there is a picture of a J230 showing this light on in the Factory Built Aircraft section under the J230. Scroll down the page and you will see the light under the wing at the top of the strut.

Hope this helps.

Safe Flying

JabSP6

Hi JabSP6, I had looked at the standard Jabiru option,but as Frank Marriot pointed out they are really just 12V downlights.

Also they are 50W each and according to Jabiru ,only one at a time can be lit, if you have two fitted.

Would be nice to use the two landing lights together if you are caught out at Dusk, for the cost of purchase and install.

JWW

• Like 1

JWW,This is the closest picture I have. I can take another one over the weekend if you need a better shot from front on.

Brian

[ATTACH=full]18970[/ATTACH]

Nice looking plane B-A!

Now....099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

Eighty Knots, thank you for the video link.I have already purchase the "Crazed pilot" version of LED strobe/landing but not keen on these.

The LED case is not very durable and they are not weather/water proof.

Later I found there is an ebay seller selling similar product for fraction of the price.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Set-Car-22-LED-Flashing-Emergency-Strobe-Flash-Light-/400309664109?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d3450b96d

Water proof lighting is required, Sometimes we need to fly through a light shower or wash the plane without damaging the lighting/strobe systems.

The Aeroleds look good, I will have a better look at their site.

It's pretty disappointing that the Crazed Pilot LED lights weren't water resistant.

Hi JabSP6, I had looked at the standard Jabiru option,but as Frank Marriot pointed out they are really just 12V downlights.Also they are 50W each and according to Jabiru ,only one at a time can be lit, if you have two fitted.

Would be nice to use the two landing lights together if you are caught out at Dusk, for the cost of purchase and install.

JWW

If you use a wig-wag system, only one light is on (effectively) at a time. That should comply with Jabiru's wishes.

JWW

For ease of fittment the Standard Jabiru light would be the easiest and 1 can be fitted to each strut as they are certified by Jabiru so no problem with structual integrity. To improve the lighting and reduce the current draw you can now buy a huge range of LED spotlights. Rather than the down lights Frank fitted i would suggest an LED spotlight be fitted to the strut mounted casing. You can then have the best of both worlds. Good lighting, low current draw and if you wanted you could have the lights on a 3 way switch. One position for off, one position for a wig-wag system, and one position for both lights on for those unfavourable situations or even taxing to the fuel bouser at night? It really wouldn't be that hard to hook up for someone with electronics knowledge. Have a chat with your local Auto electrician to find out what is available in the way of LED spotlights.

Hope this helps.

Safe Flying

JabSP6

Wig-Wag or alternately flashing lights are when the lights flash on and off so that only one light is on at a time.

They may be on for 1 or 2 seconds at a time then alternate similar to the police, fire and ambulance headlights during the daylight hours of an emergency

If you google wigwag you will see a control unit on ebay for about $16.50 so not expensive to hook up to the plane on a 3 way toggle switch, as well as having them both on if using low amp LED lights.

most led are way too dim also most are very short range , heat becomes an issue but way cooler than the 50 w halogens

I have found a very bright version but needs a little modification to fit into standard Jab enclosure, should be able to run both no problem. Assembled but on the bench still

Standard NVFR version from Jab is a very large wattage (and fairly ugly) fitting

You can get a nice wig wag unit and switch combined from " Perhelion design??"

most led are way too dim also most are very short range , heat becomes an issue but way cooler than the 50 w halogensI have found a very bright version but needs a little modification to fit into standard Jab enclosure, should be able to run both no problem. Assembled but on the bench still

Standard NVFR version from Jab is a very large wattage (and fairly ugly) fitting

You can get a nice wig wag unit and switch combined from " Perhelion design??"

Jetjr,

What brand/ model of LED did you find that is suitable for fitting into the standard Jabiru NVFR fitting?

Steve Donald bought this one it is very bright in the daylight but does not have much beam width

They are from a supplyer down south and water proof...they are used on emergency vehicles around the $150 I think and he mounted it on the nose leg...it works well except for the beam width

Heres what Ive built

The guy sells a few different types, this is the only one which fits, certainly not water proof but pretty well drained. The fiddly part was that the alloy back plate had to be machined down so needed dissasembly and rewiring to do this

Fits std light housing - NVFR type they are much larger

I have not installed them yet and there could be RF problems

Perhelion wig wag is slow left right type, can get with or without switch and easily wired for constant on if ever needed.

2141983539_Lights1IMG_20120913_073756.jpg.202db9160df400d53ce16abf696af920.jpg

1791619527_Lights2IMG_20120913_073725.jpg.ecbdbadd10409acbc09bab31fd6b5570.jpg

JWW.Two pictures of the marine light. As you can see in the 2nd picture it is fairly bright.

-Linda

[ATTACH]19095[/ATTACH][ATTACH]19096[/ATTACH]

Steve Donald bought this one it is very bright in the daylight but does not have much beam width

I suppose a single centre-mounted light is not strictly a wig-wag light but it is still a lot better than no light at all. I wonder how long before wig-wags or some other form of lighting will become mandatory as they have such great safety value? Such a rule would be problem with vintage planes that do not have an electrical system. Finding suitable mounting points on every plane could be a problem too.

I take your point Mark about the narrowness of the LED beam. Perhaps you would need three of these lamps mounted next to each other but the left and right lamp offset, say, 30 degrees from the centre line? OR, perhaps a different diffuser lens on the front could fix the beam narrowness??

• 1 month later...
Is there a decent set of landing lights with wig-wag that can be fitted to a "24" registered that wont effect certification?Does someone out there have some fitted so I can see how the look fitted?

JWW

I bought a solid state and adjustable wig-wag system from Claus who makes the PowerMate voltage regulators.

The Wig-Wag unit and the PowerMate both worked great & without issue.

Regards Geoff