J-2 McCULLOCH Gyroplane- Rare, Airworthy, For Sale...

winsor68

For sale on Trademe in NZ...

This would have to be as rare as Hen's teeth... I saw one on a trailer in the late 70's or early 80's... It was owned by a Grazier in Central Northern Australia and was going to a new owner down South. It obviously hadn't flown much and was in disrepair but intact.

This one is on the NZ Microlight register... and apparently ready to fly!

These were a Factory built certified Gyro... very rare bird.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/aircraft/aircraft/auction-515511715.htm

• Like 1

I saw the one when I was a kid... AND about 8 years ago I saw probably the same one? at Rainbow Beach at a workshop in the back street.

Wow! Just found a heap of info and photos on line about that particular machine and some story of the type in Australia... Remember this was a fully certified by DCA aircraft... Apparently Hawker DeHavilland Australia imported 8 into the country...

The Gregory Downs Gyroplane <----Link

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I saw two of these at Jandakot many years ago. One (VH-MGP) stayed but the other one didn't. They may well have been imported by Hawker de Havilland which had a sales base at Jandakot.

• 3 years later...

I put up about 400 hours in a J2 mustering in Western Queensland, Australia in 1974 for a couple of years. Hawker De Havilland of Sydney imported about 8 of these machines to Australia .

• Like 1

I put up about 400 hours in a J2 mustering in Western Queensland, Australia in 1974 for a couple of years. Hawker De Havilland of Sydney imported about 8 of these machines to Australia .

I reckon that would be the one I saw in Mount Isa on a trailer.

I had VH-EYK, which went to Archerfield on a trailer via Quilpie, where we lived about 120 miles out. Nose wheel locked to one side on heavy ground and as the speed dropped off the machine rolled and became a bit smaller in size pretty quickly. I loved it as a mustering tool, still not a chopper but did good work.

Nice looking machine, any for sale in Oz?Also anyone know what difference the number of blades makes on a gyro?

They all have to be there. I know that isn't the answer you wanted but I couldn't help myself.I think a small number is more efficient. (2).. Nev

Guest Howard Hughes
They all have to be there. I know that isn't the answer you wanted but I couldn't help myself.I think a small number is more efficient. (2).. Nev Nev

You are quick witted Nev, I only posted that in 2012!

Funny when you get older how the memory is better about things 35 plus years ago...

I read this and recalled a friend in Euroa purchased one of these and parked it on a trailer outside my place because he wasn't too keen to take it home where the co-pilot would see it and make her views known.

He told me once he had learned to fly gyros as a kid by flying in circles tethered to a pole. He also taught himself to fly fixed wings but that's a story probably best not told.

He was always doing funny things like that and last I heard of him there was something about a DH Vampire...!

Kaz

• 8 months later...