What the future holds

Deskpilot

Guest Maj Millard

Actually I think they copied this to make the 117. Doug I have the original EAA Sport Aviation magazine 10/94 with the Facet mobile artical in it, if it any use to you.Great photos !..............................................................................Maj

Barnaby Wainfan designed the Facetmobile and flew it across the USA to Oshkosh. The trip was just about un eventful, but I havn't heard anything about the plane for years. I think it was just an experiment in design. Barnaby has written books on design and also writes in "Kitplanes"

Well, that answered a lot of questions I had about Barnaby Wainfan's thought process. Discoverd the facetmobile while searching online for lifting bodies. I was thinking along the lines of something with smaller dimensions would make for better stronger easier to build aeroplanes. I felt that Barnaby's design would go ahead in leaps and bounds if he enhanced his vortices with two contra-rotating propellors driven from a single engine. Then, whilst searching again online within youtube and come across footage of the XF-5U and I thought...everything just dropped into place. Of course the yank military went with an ultra-complex drive system as well as HUGE slow revving props that suffer from all the aerodynamic foibles of helicopter main rotors. And with the coming of the jets the Navy killed the design...4 to 1 ? Try in excess of 10 to 1 less than 40mph approach with over 400mpph cruise performance. Zimmerman was onto something with his ultra low aspect ratio aeroplane and Vought was crazy not to continue testing the concept. Even the flapjack with less than 150hp could do over 130mph with huge fixed gear only for testing. And to find that Barnaby was motivated by that design makes so much sense.

I think I have come up with a drive system for two props off one engine but I regret I have to go the EXPERIMENTAL route because two props is not allowed in RAA. Keep an eye out for a squared off half size XF-5U lookalike.. I reckon if you built ANYTHING that looked like a factemobile it would be the Wright brothers all over again

Actually I think they copied this to make the 117. Doug I have the original EAA Sport Aviation magazine 10/94 with the Facet mobile artical in it, if it any use to you.Great photos !..............................................................................Maj

Thanks for the offer Maj, but hang on to it for the time being. If there are any 'unusual' photos perhaps all will be eager to see them.

Skybum, you know more than I do. Not really interested in it's history as such, just it's design.

One thing that has definately got me thinking is the use of Honey-comb panels as an alternative to other materials, especially for bulkheads, spars and ribs. Any-one had experience with them?

Now this may not appeal to all of you but I think you'll enjoy, and learn from, the following link.Go to the final report and bookmark the page because it's quite long. Amazing stuff and cause to think.

facetmobile.com

Yah... I came across the facetmobile a while's back.

*want* :-)

Well.. the FMX-5 if it ever sees the light of day.

Yah... I came across the facetmobile a while's back. *want* :-)

Well.. the FMX-5 if it ever sees the light of day.

Get busy, go build one. We'd love to be keep up with your progress. It sure looks easy.