Jabiru J160-D Purchase

niss200sx

Hi All,

I'm currently considering the purchase of a circa 2011 Jabiru J160-D with around 1,400 total airframe hours and 450 hours on the current engine.

The aircraft was previously used for training, however has since been privately owned for several years, appears to be in good condition and is  is fitted with the full glass instrument options. Most recent leakdown tests appear to be ok.

Initial indications are that a sale price of $35k is likely to be possible.

I would much appreciate any thoughts on the purchase price and whether there's anything in particular that I should be looking out for.

Thanks!

Not just this aircraft, but check all manufacturer service bulletins/updates have been completed on airframe and engine.

There maybe "optional" updates also.

Best get the list from mfg yourself and then refer them to the log books.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Find out about the engine temperatures...  Is this aircraft easy to keep within the limits? or does it need care? What temperature instruments does it have anyway? All egt and cht digital is the best.

But at 35k you can take some stuff not perfect.

The price is good. What is it's general condition, wear & tear, tyres doors, seats, flying surfaces hinges, cables etc? Has it had any prangs? Fibreglass is almost infinitely repairable but flaws will show up eventually. Go for a test flight & record all the Ts & Ps either by video of download from the system. A hot day will exacerbate any heating issues if there are any. A few circuits an extended climb at varying rates & speed, cruise high & low & extended descent should provide enough info for you to make a decision.

• Agree 1

Engine - which one/version , full history, 2011 puts it at a sensitive age with Jabiru engines not being at their best BUT flight schools have good arrangements to exchange engines regularly at good rates I believe.

Plenty would look to having some top end work at 500hrs - don't see this too much as bad thing, pretty cheap comparably.

If the 2nd engine (450 hrs) was new after May 2013 it will be a Gen 3 engine with the roller followers. Mine a 3300A was one of the first off the line in March 2013. If you are not sure just get the serial number & ring Jabiru & they will tell you.

• Agree 1